anyone have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a natural childbirth at Texas Woman's (Houston)? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 10-03-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for some actual experience stories...not just the rumors...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM

I don't have a personal story but of 6 of my friends only 1 has even had a vaginal birth there.  The other 5 ended up with c-sections.  And the one that had a vaginal birth was threatened with a c-section if she hadn't progressed enough in x amount of time (her words, not mine).

#3 of 18 Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I hear that, but I actually posted this on another board and surprisingly, I got very negative stories from people who knew people who had bad experiences there, but very positive stories from actual people who gave birth there themselves. So I really wonder how much of the negative hype surrounding Woman's is rumor...I just haven't run into anyone who had a negative experience themselves, just friends who know friends...

#4 of 18 Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM

The numbers say a lot.  The last year I saw stats for ('04 I think?) they had a documented c-section rate around 43%.  Everywhere has gone up since then... I expect they have too.

#5 of 18 Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really just looking for people with personal experience...

I've read the stats, heard the rumors, but I'm not sure that tells the whole story. I'd like to try to give them a fair assessment.

I'm trying to get some inside stories, since I don't think rumors or numbers tell the entire thing. For example, they are known for being the high risk hospital, if EVERY woman who truly NEEDED a c-section (maybe 4% of total births or so) went there, then their c-section rate may be near 100%, and that would be very misleading.

How many women went intending to have a natural birth and were unsuccessful? How many never intended to have a natural birth and opted for an elective scheduled c-section? They don't actually give these nubmers, so you have to carefully consider the data you are given.

Furthermore, rates are often misquoted...their rate in 2008 was 29.2, which is not fantastic, but is actually lower than the TX average of 34.5% and much less than the 43% quoted above.

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/1/29/texas-cesarean-rates-2008.html

I'm certainly not trying to defend them, but do want to get an accurate story and I'd love to hear about some personal experiences!

#6 of 18 Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds07 View Post

Furthermore, rates are often misquoted...their rate in 2008 was 29.2, which is not fantastic, but is actually lower than the TX average of 34.5% and much less than the 43% quoted above.

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/1/29/texas-cesarean-rates-2008.html

That is not their total section rate.  That's their "Primary Cesarean Section Delivery Risk-Adjusted Utilization Rate, 2008" So that means FIRST section AND adjusted for any risk.  So FIRST section in a "low-risk" mom and pregnancy.

And if you notice it's substantially higher than the vast majority of other hospitals listed.  

The numbers I mention are NOT misquoted.  They are accurate.  

From my reading, other hospitals rarely, if ever refer there.  They are a for-profit hospital where most in town are non-profits.  They just don't work together.  

#7 of 18 Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

That is interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:

The numbers I mention are NOT misquoted.  They are accurate.  

From my reading, other hospitals rarely, if ever refer there.  

I'd be interested in these sources- can you please provide references?

But it still doesn't answer the topic of my post ;)

#8 of 18 Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 PM

#9 of 18 Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the link!  Slightly arduous to click through, but the most up-to-date info I've seen.  I'll be spending some time there...

If I understand their divisions correctly, Women's comes out with a section rate of  46.8% by my calculations.

Corrected because I left out two of the v-birth sections.

#10 of 18 Old 10-23-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If I understand their divisions correctly, Women's comes out with a section rate of  47.6% by my calculations.

How did you calculate it?

--never mind, I see it in the second link. The first link gives the risk adjusted. 

Interesting that St. Lukes which people keep saying is "low" c-section is 38%...

HOWEVER, this really isn't a thread about TX hospitals c-section rates:)

#11 of 18 Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds07 View Post

How did you calculate it?

--never mind, I see it in the second link. The first link gives the risk adjusted. 

Interesting that St. Lukes which people keep saying is "low" c-section is 38%...

HOWEVER, this really isn't a thread about TX hospitals c-section rates:)

Hmm.  I've never heard anyone say that St. Lukes has a low section rate.  I have heard that they tend to be more mother and baby friendly and friends' experiences seem to demonstrate that (rooming in is standard, no separation, more breastfeeding encouragement than other area hospitals, etc)

I do have one friend who has medically necessary sections who has been happy with Women's.  The mandatory nursery stay doesn't bother her as she has to stay in ICU for a period and her husband has not been able to stay with her anyway.

#12 of 18 Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think your question is an interesting one. Are women who birth at Woman's Hospital happy with it? What if they went in planning a vaginal birth (I can think of 3 friends of the top of my head who did this) and ended up with a c/s? They may be entirely happy with that AND with the care the received otherwise. They may also not know that there are options - like having your baby with you the WHOLE time, or not being induced, or not being sectioned for breech, or whatever. It's generally only the ones I have met who have been awakened, if you will, to the realities of birth in this country, who are no longer happy with their experiences.

But, without question, the vast majority of friends I know who have gone to Women's have come out with unplanned cesareans. I know that doesn't answer your question winky.gif but I would be interested in seeing any answers you may get, as well as what you make of them. I just don't know that we have THAT large of a sample here that would have the experiences you're looking for.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 18 Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM

I know two people IRL and at least 8 families from a local parenting board who all rave about their births there.  Two did not have any time away from the babies.  Two had a very hard time getting pregnant and could only have c/s deliveries.  Two had "natural" births, in their words but I have no specifics...

#14 of 18 Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM

I had two vaginal births there--with lots of drugs. Sorry, not natural; however, at no point either time was a c-section even suggested to me. My OB and her partners knew my boundaries and respected them.

#15 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Texas Women's is one of the best hospitals in the region and deals with many high risk pregnancies. So yes, the c section rate will be higher than any of the other hospitals in Houston. Also keep in mind that It is not the hospital that determines if a c section is necessary . It's your OB or the on call OB.  Which still does not represent the hospital. If you do your research when looking for an OB and  trust your OB and their practice, then you shouldn't need to worry about being forced into a c section. Texas Woman's c section rates are high due to the fact they deal with all types of high risk deliveries from higher order multiples, advance maternal age, pregnancy induced hypertension, gestational diabetes, past fetal demise and many other circumstances that most pregnant women will not have to worry about. . They also deal with more births than the other local hospitals.  Woman's delivers the second largest amount of babies per year in Texas second only to Parkland in Dallas. Woman’s currently delivers an average of 750 babies each month, which is almost 57 percent more than the next closest hospital in Harris County. 

I find the same thing to be true that everyone knows someone who knows someone that had a bad experience with Woman's, but anyone that I have asked that has actually delivered there has been happy with their experience. I do know that many changes have happened in the last year at Woman's and they are making much progress in becoming one of the first baby friendly hospital's in Houston. Don't believe everything you hear. Do your research when choosing a doctor and make sure to ask what THEIR c-section rate and views are. 

#16 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tiph, you certainly have a different perspective on Women's than most of us. What's your experience with the hospital? I agree, entirely, that a doctor's c-section rate should be a very important question when interviewing providers. (Well, for midwives, too, though they're obviously not performing them!)

Still, the hospital staff (nurses, on-call OBs) and the hospital policies DO have a major influence on many aspects of the birth experience.

I actually now know two women who have had successful VBACs at Women's, in the last few months. It would certainly be refreshing and encouraging if they became a baby-friendly hospital.
alegna likes this.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#17 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM

I know that you're looking for first-hand accounts, and I haven't delivered there . . . but I have a friend that had a good natural birth experience there with Dr. Thompson a couple years ago. She had the baby with no drugs, intermittent monitoring, and only complained about the IV in her hand and restrictions on eating a drinking. She went on to have a homebirth with her second, but says she was pleased with her first birth too.

#18 of 18 Old 02-02-2012, 04:38 PM

I delivered both my babies there. So many people do speak so negatively of the hospital with no real firsthand experience. Everyone I know that actually gave birth there had a good experience, but everyone who knows someone who knows someone who delivered there says it's awful.

With my first I had hoped for a natural birth, but I did no preparation for it. I had no idea how things would go so I just wanted to play it by ear. My water broke the day after my due date, I got an epidural, and my daughter was born vaginally. Other than a small postpartum room and one less than desirable nurse (she wasn't awful, just busy I think. And by less than desirable I mean she forgot to refill my water and I had to ask her again), I had a good experience.  My daughter was in the NICU for 24 hours and the NICU nurses were awesome about getting her out of there ASAP so she could be with us.

My second was born there in June. I consented to an induction at 41 weeks. I was only on pit for 3.5 hours before I was pushing. I did have a c-section because the cord was wrapped around his neck and he wouldn't descend and his heart rate kept dropping. My doctor tried a ton of things to try to get him out vaginally but it wasn't happening. (Yes, in hindsight I wish I would have let him come on his own and maybe he would have been in a better position and I likely wouldn't have had a c-section.) Other than having to have a c-section, my experience this time was even better than the first. They have remodeled the hospital and the rooms are gorgeous and big. They were much better about breastfeeding and the words formula were never uttered for him, even when I was in c-section recovery longer than expected. (My first did have a bit of formula while in NICU.) They didn't even give him a pacifier until we asked. The bag I was sent home with was not sponsored by a formula company and had no formula in it. In the 3 years between the births of my babies, a lot changed.

At my 2 week postpartum appointment with my doctor, she suggested the option of a VBAC should I have a 3rd. I was going to ask her about it, but she beat me to it. I know there are other options and hospitals out there, but I've had 2 good experiences with Woman's and I don't intend on changing doctors or hospitals if I have a 3rd baby.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page