Just took a job on the W side of Houston. Schools? LLL? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just took a job this morning (!) on the West side of Houston in the Town and Country Village near the intersection of the Sam Houston Tollway and I-10.  We currently live in Lousiana and my new job wants me there in 2 weeks!  Where should we live to have access to good schools?  I am thinking Katy ATM but am open to any suggestions.

Looks like the only two exemplary Jr High Schools in Katy ISD are Garland McMeans and Beckendorff, according to the TEA website.  Which one has the better reputation?  Which elementary schools feed into these schools?

What are the best preschools in the area?  Is there a Nanny service?  It looks like DH may be workikng from home, which is great because he can stay home with the kids, but he will need someone to help him out during the day.  We might be looking for a Nanny for while I am out of the house. 

Is there a LLL chapter nearby?

Any other thoughts/tips on living on the West side of Houston?

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like Sugarland will be just as close to my office as Katy.  Is Sugarland somewhere we should consider?

#3 of 3 Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 AM

Congrats on the new job! thumb.gif

Sugar Land is a pretty easy drive to that area, perhaps better than Katy during rush-hour. (I-10 has a bad reputation for traffic.) I'm in Sugar Land and love it here. We don't use public schools but anyone who does will tell you that Fort Bend ISD is top-notch and the schools around here are supposed to be great. I can't vouch for that, nor have I researched them, but that's the word on the street. smile.gif

There are various groups around the city like LLL. I know there's a Sugar Land LLL meeting. I lead the Sugar Land babywearing meeting, as well as a new birth support group here. I believe there's a new West Houston/Katy babywearing group starting up. I know there is an LLL meeting out around I-10 at Eldridge, which is near Hwy 6, so West but not all the way to Katy. There are likely more but I haven't been all that involved with LLL.

We have a large Whole Foods here in Sugar Land. They've just announced a new one to come to Katy.

Both are family-friendly areas and each has its own quirks and flavor. The main differences will be in commute, I expect. Housing I would expect to be fairly similar, though some areas of Katy may be cheaper because they're further out. I know some friends were getting great deals in a newer development just south of Katy Mills Mall area.

I'd personally rather drive 59 into town than 10, any day, but I have been driving 59 a lot more than 10 over the years, so my perspective is probably different than those who live in Katy. smile.gif I do love that we're about 20 minutes from the museums, zoo, Galleria, etc., and not that much further to midtown and downtown.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page