Mothering Forum banner

Houston Moms- amazing music classes

342 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  hhhg4569 
#1 ·
My son has been taking music lessons from Lyric Music Studio this past school year. Every Thursday, I pick him up early from school so he can go to her house in the Heights. This has been a really wonderful experience for him, and I wanted to let you all know the opportunity is out there!

I wanted him to have some early exposure to music. When we lived in DC, our church had a terrific beginning music program for Pre-Kers. Lacking that here in Houston, I started looking around for a class for him (we make music in our house, but I wanted him to experience music in another non-home consistent setting).

He's learning the basic building blocks for music-making. He can identify certain rhythmic patterns ("butterfly" is 2 eighth notes and a quarter note, "train whistle" is quarter followed by two eighths, etc.) and is starting to write notes above and below a line. Julie has introduced him to a large number of musical instruments. And he knows how to listen to and participate in music in a small group setting.

Plus, his teacher is kind and caring. He misses his afternoon nap in order to attend, and then takes a nap afterward. Most days this is no problem at all (his teacher keeps him up until I arrive), but when - one day - he fell asleep before I arrived and was grumpy, she squatted down and looked him in the eye and addressed his feelings gently and directly. He was allowed to sit on the sidelines and watch until he was ready to participate - which was not long at all.

We are already signed up for next year's afternoon class for five year olds. If he continues to like these classes, he can learn to take piano from "Miss Julie" when the time is right.

Julie's love of music is contagious. If you are interested in a really good music program for your child (or for yourself - Julie teaches a beginner piano class over the summer for adults!) I recommend you visit her website at www.juliemusic.com

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.