Pediatricians in Houston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-26-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to be a first time mom and I'm looking for recent recommendations on pediatricians, preferably around spring branch.

#2 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure who is in that area as far as pediatricians go... Have you searched the forum here for names? I know a couple in Sugar Land, one in the Woodlands, and I'm thinking the other names are further into town...

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 19 Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 PM

I'm bumping this up cause I am on the search for a Pedi.  I live downtown Houston.  I'd like to find one who is mother empowering rather than "do as i say, cause i say."

#4 of 19 Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 PM

I have a great ped in the Memorial City area -- Dr. Ann Schroeder Lee from Great Kids Pediatrics.  She nursed her kids well into toddlerhood and has always been great at explaining things to us and giving us room to make our own decisions on delaying vax, etc.  She's so friendly and just very supportive.  I've referred several friends and family to her and they have all walked away feeling very empowered by her and confident in her abilities. 

Edit to add -- she also gave us contact info for a lactation consultant who made home visits when I was first starting out, which was really helpful.  The only con I think Dr. Lee has is that she's only there three days a week, but since we rarely go in for anything other than a checkup, it hasn't been a problem.

Hope that helps in your search!

Angelica

Mama to DS1 (4/11/10) and DS2 (9/23/12)

#5 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM

I am in need of a recommendation as well. I read on here from many people that Dr. Injac with Pediatric Medical Group was great.

My due date is THIS Saturday...and my husband just called their office and was told that they under no circumstances will allow any patients to delay vaccinations or selectively vaccinate...

So now I have no pediatrician for my baby due in three days, and I'm freaking out!!

I need someone who:

1) Allows non-vaccination (we will be declining all))

2) Supportive of EBF

3) Empowering of parents

4) Conservative with antibiotics

5) Pro non-circumcision (or at least okay with it)

6) More natural-minded or more integrative in their approach

7) I would /really/ like someone who has privileges at Texas Childrens Hospital

#6 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Dr. Dickerson in Sugar Land has met all of those qualifications for us, but I don't think she has privileges at TCH. She didn't visit my DS when he was there with appendicitis, at least.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

Dr. Dickerson in Sugar Land has met all of those qualifications for us, but I don't think she has privileges at TCH. She didn't visit my DS when he was there with appendicitis, at least.

THANK YOU!!!

I just got off the phone with them and they will take us!!

#8 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Yay! Wonderful!

#9 of 19 Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

My understanding is that only TCH group peds have privileges at TCH.  I rather suspect (given the staunch about-face from Injac) that TCH proper is no longer allowing variation from the vax schedule.  But that is a TOTAL guess.

HeatherB likes this.
#10 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM

I am also looking for the same.  Let us know how your experience with Dr. Dickerson turns out.  I live downtown so Sugarland is a bit of a drive, but i go there if i must to find a doctor who doesn't blindly follow pharm-sponsored AAP.

#11 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Sounds like you've already found someone, but just wanted to let you know we've been happy with Dr. William Hogan at TCH-affiliated Texas Children's Pediatric Associates on Greenbiar near 59. 

Quote:

1) Allows non-vaccination (we will be declining all))

2) Supportive of EBF

3) Empowering of parents

4) Conservative with antibiotics

5) Pro non-circumcision (or at least okay with it)

6) More natural-minded or more integrative in their approach

7) I would /really/ like someone who has privileges at Texas Childrens Hospital

1) We vaccinate, but he's been supportive of a delayed schedule.

2) Definitely supportive of EBF. He also had some nice things to say about continued BF at our 15 month appt.3

3) Yep

4) Yep

5) Yep

6) We haven't really had a lot of opportunities to discuss this with him because we don't do a whole lot of it ourselves, but he was supportive of us doing baby-led weaning, even though he had never heard of it.

7) Yep

#12 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambernichole View Post

Sounds like you've already found someone, but just wanted to let you know we've been happy with Dr. William Hogan at TCH-affiliated Texas Children's Pediatric Associates on Greenbiar near 59. 

I'd be interested to see what info is given on the phone if someone who is shopping around calls and asks.  I believe this is the same practice as Injac, isn't it?  Used to be that Hogan was on all the lists too, but Injac was seen as even more relaxed?

#13 of 19 Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 PM

I think Children's is pro vax all the way and are insisting their affiliates adopt the same philosophy.  Pedis rewarded for immunization efforts:   http://www.texaschildrens.org/parents/tipsarticles/ArticleDisplay.aspx?aid=1321

#14 of 19 Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM

I interviewed with Dr. Dickerson and she is very likable. She does have privileges at Texas Children's (Med Center).

She is very pro-vax per her training and the AAP.

She will agree to Dr. Sears alternative vax schedule. So, that's good for those who want to delay.

She will take non-vaxers but wants you to sign the AAP's “Refusal to Vaccinate” form.  The language on this AAP form is really bad---it list the "consequences may include" of not vaccinating and completely omits the "consequences may include" of vaccinating. The overall tone of the form is one that calls the parent negligent for refusing vaccines.  So, sign a form that says you are negligent?  That AAP form is the only flaw with Dr. Dickerson's practice.  Everything else seemed great.

#15 of 19 Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

I'm expecting my first in August, and also looking for a delayed/selective-vax friendly ped. But I live in the Humble/Kingwood area, so I would really like to not travel all the way to Sugarland!

From combing old threads on the subject, here are some more names I've pulled up. If anyone knows anything about them, I'd love to hear more. I thought it might help to try to make one monster thread, instead of a bunch of tiny ones. I've also included who made the rec, in case anyone wants to PM them.

-Dr. Soo Peen Chin - Atascosita/Kingwood area - recommended by fiannas 10/7/11

-Dr. Allison Arthur - Cypress area - recommended by Allison 2 9/23/11

-Dr. Rajamma Kalia with Nassau Bay Pediatrics - SE Houston area? - recommended by txgal 2/6/09 and bntamin 8/26/09 and aidanraynesmom 9/29/09

-Dr. Poonam Singh - Tomball area - recommended by jdavidian 1/6/09

-Dr. Krenie Stowe - Woodlands area - recommended by alegna 12/30/08 and bluetoes 1/4/09 and HeatherB 6/25/11

-Dr. Ingraham with Nassau Bay Pediatrics - SE Houston area? - recommended by MissE 9/7/09

-Dr. Binder - Friendswood area - recommended by kateplus3 2/24/12

-Cline Pediatrics - Dickinson area - recommended by shannon84 6/30/11

-Dr. Louis Pottkotter - Sugarland area - recommended by Mama_of_1 6/27/11

I'm sure that list isn't exhaustive, but after combing through 11 pages of search results, I got tired! Hope to hear more!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***** Oct 2014 - it's a
#16 of 19 Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks for your recent summary!

I also gleaned that these have been willing to delay vaccines:

- Dr. Ann Schroeder Lee -Beltway west and I-10

- Dr. Sari Miettinen - NW corner of 610. But she is with Texas Children's, so I don't know how things will go with her.

I'm also not sure what insurance my baby will be on. It may be Chip... Another complication!

#17 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM

I recommend Krenie Stowe. She is currently working part-time as she goes through cancer treatment. But she is the most laid back pedi I know. She encourages natural remedies whenever possible and is not an alarmist. She will even come to your home after a homebirth. She has an office in the Woodlands and in the Heights. I am Chris Duffy, midwife and I recommend her highly!

#18 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 AM

Nobody mentioned Dr. Romanda Hutsell.  She sees patients in the Katy area and travels to YOU.  Of course she doesn't take insurance. I found her on here and my midwife, Sandra McDonald, recommended her.  She is a homeschooling mom and isn't always available.  She saw my 6 week old baby who we suspected had Down Syndrome or a thyroid problem (has DS) and she actually met me in her vacant home (moved) because I was a little out of her travel area and needed to be seen immediately (long sentence, ha!).  I would gladly travel to her (30 min) again if she was willing to see us again.  My son has been doing amazing so I haven't called her yet (will today).  She never even mentioned vaccines and was soooo friendly.  I have a feeling, being a homeschooler, she respects parental rights.  We have always only used natural remedies for our 8 kids so needing a pedi for my baby with DS now scares me (espec. with their higher rate of cancer).  Anyway, I highly recommend her and found her number on here (she thought that was "interesting").

#19 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

I wanted to update and say that we've been taking Baby Bird to Dr. Chin (who is a woman, in case anyone was wondering - despite the fact our insurance thinks she is a man!). I won't say I love her, but no really issues so far. She is happy that we are exclusively BFing, and checked to see how his latch was when she walked in while I was BFing him. She's not thrown by DS being uncircumcised, and her only comment when I said we'd only be getting the DTaP vaccine at 2 months was to let me know that if we spread out his shots, he'd have to get more of them (as opposed to combo vaxes). I don't know if she realizes we're planning to skip the rotovirus vaccine yet, but she definitely wasn't considered about delaying. Major relief after reading some of TCH's policies about vaccinate-on-schedule-or-else.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***** Oct 2014 - it's a

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page