We intend to refuse the Hep B, eye ointment and possibly the Vit-K as well.
I found Dr. Injac's name on our group forum and he is said to be Very parent-empowering, allows parents to make their own choices without judgement, etc...And he is a pediatrician who has hospital privileges at Texas Children's Hospital.
However, I just called Dr. Injac's office and it turns out Dr. Injac does not want to take on new patients who do not want to follow hospital protocol. In other words, he ain't down with refusing Hep-b, vit-K, or eye ointment for your newborn.
I am due March 6. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do I need to get a pediatrician to sign off saying it is ok not to get the hep-b, vit-k or eye ointment? Does the pedi need hospital privileges?
We decided to do the vit-k shot but will refuse the hep-b and eye ointment. We have put together signed waivers similar to the ones here:
Since it is hard to find a like minded Pedi with hospital privileges we may not list a Pedi. Also, i heard that CPS doesn't want to be bothered with eye ointment refusals. I think i might call CPS and ask them what they intend to do about it if i were to refuse eye ointment.
I seriously doubt CPS in Texas will do much of anything about eye ointment, unlike NY, but is a threat they may hear since the attendants are stuck in such an uncomfortable position legally speaking. Waivers do nothing for their legal obligation togive the vit k and eye ointment and it's not illegal for parents to refuse so you don't need the waivers for your protection. In NY its illegal for parents to refuse which is why there are no waivers but in TX its only illegal for attendants to not do it. I haven't heard of any enforcement buit still causes lots of problems. My 2 year old was born with a midwife and she took the risk of not giving the eye ointment but my youngest was a hospital transfer and csection and we chose not to give the nurse grief she really did do her best to give us as much as she could. She delayed and then we wiped it ou when she turned around. She and the midwife (who was there for support after surgery) talked about what a frustratingly worded law it is.
The waiver also serves to let the attendant know that it is considered battery if she goes against our wishes. It also provides education / info for CPS to read if they come visit us. How can we get this law off the books? Any organizations working to get it done?
I thought I had responded to the other thread regarding Injac and not accepting new non-vaxing patients, but I guess it didn't post
From what I understand, this is now the policy of all TCPA affiliate doctors (it wasn't just a personal decision made by Injac). This really sucks for anyone looking for a new ped! All of the pedis I felt comfortable suggesting to new moms were all TCPA docs (with the exception of Krenie Stowe).
I have refused all three for my last two children and will for the one I am carrying now. My second was a homebirth so no problems there. My third baby was a homebirth transfer. I pushed her out within minutes of arriving, doc never made it, I told the nurse to bring me all of her refusal forms including the AMA paperwork because I was going home. My DH and I also told the nurse it was not up for discussion or argument. She brought the paperwork in, I signed it and walked out of there within one hour of birth with my baby in one arm and my placenta in the other. It can be done. You just have to know that YOU are the one in charge of what goes in your child and demand that no one question you. No, you don't have to have a doctor sign off saying it is ok. You are the parent, you sign off saying it is ok.
|23 members and 13,431 guests|
|babydoulajo , BirthFree , Deborah , esg , henry le , JElaineB , lisak1234 , Lovelyfreebird , Lucee , Michele123 , moominmamma , NaturallyKait , pgu2017 , philomom , RollerCoasterMama , scaramouche131 , sciencemum , SPrada , thefragile7393 , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|