DFW Midwife needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  I am looking for a Certified Nurse Midwife in the Dallas / Fort Worth area that offers home births as well as in home prenatal visits.  My insurance will only cover a CNM but I'm having trouble finding one that does the home prenatal visits.  Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM

Did you ever find an answer to this question?  What did you decide to do?  (I'm curious as I'm currently trying to find & choose a midwife.)

Jess, happy wife to Doug, mom to E (ds10), B (ds8), M (dd6), S (ds4), M (ds2), and a little 2013 valentine (dsT, due 2/18)

I blog at makinghome.blogspot.com

Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi!  Sorry for the slow reply and no, I never did get an answer.  I found a few midwives who do home births but no home visits.  They were all about an hour away from me so I did not use them.  That was too long of a drive for me and I was afraid they might not make it to me in time for baby's arrival!  I had my beautiful baby boy a month ago and he was delivered at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth by Lindsey Kragle, CNM and I can not say enough wonderful things about her.  She is part of the UNT midwife group and I can not recommend or praise them enough. They were a 30 min. drive for me but they were so wonderful that it was worth it.  There are six of them and you see a different one every time you go, that way, no matter which one is on call when you deliver you know them and don't have to worry about being delivered by a stranger. They were so kind and accommodating and their treatment is very non invasive.  I have never felt so in control of my health care options.  They don't force tests or routine but unnecessary exams or anything on you like an OB does.  Every single one of them was so happy and kind every time I saw them and they didn't rush through the visits.  They were so sweet with my 5 year old DD who I brought with me.  They let her measure my belly and run the doppler for the heartbeat.  They knew we wanted DD to be in the delivery room and were very supportive.  I was disappointed at first that I would have to deliver in a hospital but I ended up having some minor but scary complications and DH and I both said we are so glad we were in a hospital because it would not have been so easily handled at home.  In fact, when I regained consciousness the first thing I said was, "Omg I'm so glad we didn't do this at home!"  Lindsey was absolutely wonderful!  She was so supportive and calming to me and my family.  She was so kind to DD and talked to her the whole time, involving her and letting her really be a part of the experience.  She even let her cut the cord!  My main problem with a hospital birth was based on my experience  when DD was born (different hospital) they took her to the nursery and wouldn't let DH go with her and they were just very pushy with their policies.  Harris Methodist is a 'Baby Friendly' hospital which means they encourage rooming in because it promotes breastfeeding.  Babies certainly can go to the nursery for a while but they don't take them away from you.  The nurses were all so sweet and listened to what I wanted for me and DS. The hospital pediatrician came to our room to examine DS instead of rounding all the babies up in the nursery for the routine checks, and any tests they needed to do were done in my room. No one ever tried to take him from me.  At first they said they needed to take him to the nursery for some test and when I asked if I could go too they said "we'll just do it in here so you don't have to move, honey." and then they wheeled in all of the heavy machines they needed.  I have never seen such kind and accommodating hospital staff in my life! Sorry this reply is so long but I wanted to really share with you my experience.  I hope I have helped you in your decision.  Let me know if you have any other questions and congrats on your LO!

Tags
Mothering Help
User Tag List