Moving to San Antonio from west coast, looking for Sensory OT, Neuro, a good location, etc. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

We are moving to the San Antonio area in July from the west coast. We will not get a chance to visit before we move.

My son is 5 and has Sensory Processing Disorder and I am looking for all the things that help us help him. We need an OT who specializes in sensory, a good neurologist, a pediatrician who is non-vax friendly and some new friends.

A little more about us: We love nature, we co-sleep, we don't watch much t.v. and we might homeschool. We would love to hear about places to live that would be near some nature that we could get out in everyday. My son's Sensory issues dissipate so much in nature and we spend a lot of time outdoors. We have heard New Braunfels might be good but I'm worried it may be too far from a good OT and neurologist...

Any input on good locations, doctors or places to make new friends would be most appreciated!

#2 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Hi! I live on the Northwest side and would love to make new friends!

I'll come back to this tomorrow, as I'm on my way to bed.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks HarperRose.

I PM'd you and have just read part of your blog. I look forward to getting to know you.

#4 of 12 Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Welcome! I'm just northeast of San Antonio.

I recommend Barry Smeltzer, at Healing Provisions:www.facebook.com/healingprovisionspllc

#5 of 12 Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

royalmommy,

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look him up. 

We are hoping to move near the Northeast, how do you like it there?

We are looking for some nearby nature, maybe a good Montessori other school with small classes and more individualized instruction.

Thanks!

#6 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

We're in Cibolo and like it (less taxes since we're in Guadalupe County). Lots of homeschool groups in  the northeast and Cibolo/Schertz area, too. There's a great new library in Schertz (which Cibolo residents can use). A decent place for year round swimming lessons (Love to Swim in Schertz). Some nice parks (Crescent Bend nature park is our favorite that is nearby).

I don't know of any Montessori schools in this area, but there are some in San Antonio. The San Antonio Natural Parenting group on facebook would have some help for you on with that.

#7 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Royalmommy,

Thanks for all of the info on your area. Is there a good way to look up homeschool groups, or is it best to just ask around? I do think we will homeschool for at least a year, if not more. I would love to find a non-religious group, perhaps one that was nature minded.

I will look at Cibolo/Schertz area.

#8 of 12 Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM

The San Antonio area is fairly spread out; it takes us about 50min to get from our house on the NW side outside Loop 1604 to my ILs house on the NE side outside the Loop (in Converse). On the up side there is usually a highway you can jump on to get where you are going in a reasonable amount of time. If I have to go somewhere beyond the shopping centers by my house it usually takes at least 20 minutes.

I LOVE New Braunfels (they have a nice children's museum that I had a membership to when we lived on the eastside); I really wanted to live there as it looks most similar to my hometown but the distance to the Lackland area added about 30 minutes to dh's commute in rush hour. If either of you have to commute to work I would test it out during rush hour once you are here. Dh had an old friend PCS here this year and we would have like to have them on our side of town but since he worked at Ft. Sam it was an easier commute from the eastside; the commute to Lackland/Kelly is about the same from either side, and Randolph is on the eastside.

Here is a map (a bit cartoonish) of the Hill Country Area -- New Braunfels is on the lower right.

Here is a map showing the Texas regions and links to specific areas: http://www.tourtexas.com/texasmap_regions.html

Another thing to be aware of are parts of roads, "bridges" (over creek beds), and some highway entrances/exits that tend to flood when it rains heavily--every time the barriers go up you know there is someone that will go around it because they want to pay the $600+ per-person rescue fine duh.gif. There is a neighborhood we looked at behind Rolling Oaks Mall (NE) whose only entrance floods in heavy rain--though it may have been fixed since we first heard of it happening.

I'd also be aware of how close your "essentials" are such as the grocery store; there was one neighborhood we decided against when we were looking as the long drive out of the neighborhood then the trip on the highway just to the grocery was about 20 minutes--not fun with the summer gas prices.

A lot of "specialties," like OT can be found in Stone Oak; not that they don't exist elsewhere--but there seem to me more of them in that area.  Dr. McMains off San Pedro (Clock Tower) in Stone Oak sees non-vaxed children; they want you to sign the AAP form but you can cross out the bits you don't like and they don't say "boo." She is an older lady so I don't know how long she'll continue to practice. There is also a DAN Dr. in the area; she's mentioned on some of the older "moving to SA" threads. LoneStar is the frequently recommended OB/GYN practice here. Medical care is big in San Antonio so hopefully you can find what you need here, though Austin or Houston are within a couple of hours if you need to widen your search; Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital is in downtown SA, though I don't know anything about their pediatric neurologists.

The "natural foods" chain here is Sun Harvest Farms; I think the nearest Whole Foods is at least an hour away.

There are a few non-religious homeschool groups in SA. I think there is also an API group in the New Braunfels area.

http://www.homeedsa.com/Support%20Groups.asp

SAHERO

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 12 Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM

I would definitely friend the San Antonio Natural Parenting (SANP) group. There is a wealth of info you can search and ask questions.

We live in the far NE area outside the city limits, but I also love New Braunfels. It has a nice small town vibe with a wonderful park (Landa Park) and nice children's museum.

Couldn't tell you abt a neuro or OT, but there are a few docs that will take non or delayed vax pts. Some are listed on the SANP website or you can ask the group on FB.

There is a recommended Montessori school called Country Day School that is more on the NE side of town you may want to look into. I know you mentioned homeschooling, but other alternative schools are the Circle School and the Acorn. Bonham Academy, located in the Southtown/King William area is supposed to be very well regarded. I have not toured it but it is a public charter and they offer Spanish immersion and I heard are adding some sort of outdoor program I believe.
#10 of 12 Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Welcome to the area! We are up in Boerne and LOVE it!

I homeschool my 4 kids -11, 9, 6, and 4 and just started a homeschool group via Meetup.com - Boerne area Holistic Homeschool Group.  Come check us out.  

The San Antonio Natural Parenting group is outstanding and they are on facebook as well with a lot of other sub groups -One Bite at a Time(food group), homeschooling and more.

Healing Provisions Pllc website is not completed yet but you can check out the facebook page -https://www.facebook.com/healingprovisionspllc

You can google Barry Smeltzer - tons of info and quite a few blogs have talked about him as well.

#11 of 12 Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Sagelove and Emmeline II for the reccomendations. I will look up the SANP group. That sounds like a good resource.

I also think we have narrowed our house search to the NE of town instead of New Braunfels. Less commute for my husband and closer to more medical resources for my son.

I really appreciate all the information everyone is posting on the little details of living in S.A. 

#12 of 12 Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Whole Foods is in The Quarry. I'm at I10/De Zavala - that is not an hour away from anywhere that I have lived, though it may be for someone who is farther outside the city or farther toward the outskirts than we are. And there's a Trader Joe's ALLEGEDLY going in around there, too.

Very good point mentioning the low water crossings. I'm repeatedly amazed that there are those idiots EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. there's rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

The San Antonio area is fairly spread out; it takes us about 50min to get from our house on the NW side outside Loop 1604 to my ILs house on the NE side outside the Loop (in Converse). On the up side there is usually a highway you can jump on to get where you are going in a reasonable amount of time. If I have to go somewhere beyond the shopping centers by my house it usually takes at least 20 minutes.

I LOVE New Braunfels (they have a nice children's museum that I had a membership to when we lived on the eastside); I really wanted to live there as it looks most similar to my hometown but the distance to the Lackland area added about 30 minutes to dh's commute in rush hour. If either of you have to commute to work I would test it out during rush hour once you are here. Dh had an old friend PCS here this year and we would have like to have them on our side of town but since he worked at Ft. Sam it was an easier commute from the eastside; the commute to Lackland/Kelly is about the same from either side, and Randolph is on the eastside.

Here is a map (a bit cartoonish) of the Hill Country Area -- New Braunfels is on the lower right.

Here is a map showing the Texas regions and links to specific areas: http://www.tourtexas.com/texasmap_regions.html

Another thing to be aware of are parts of roads, "bridges" (over creek beds), and some highway entrances/exits that tend to flood when it rains heavily--every time the barriers go up you know there is someone that will go around it because they want to pay the $600+ per-person rescue fine duh.gif. There is a neighborhood we looked at behind Rolling Oaks Mall (NE) whose only entrance floods in heavy rain--though it may have been fixed since we first heard of it happening.

I'd also be aware of how close your "essentials" are such as the grocery store; there was one neighborhood we decided against when we were looking as the long drive out of the neighborhood then the trip on the highway just to the grocery was about 20 minutes--not fun with the summer gas prices.

A lot of "specialties," like OT can be found in Stone Oak; not that they don't exist elsewhere--but there seem to me more of them in that area.  Dr. McMains off San Pedro (Clock Tower) in Stone Oak sees non-vaxed children; they want you to sign the AAP form but you can cross out the bits you don't like and they don't say "boo." She is an older lady so I don't know how long she'll continue to practice. There is also a DAN Dr. in the area; she's mentioned on some of the older "moving to SA" threads. LoneStar is the frequently recommended OB/GYN practice here. Medical care is big in San Antonio so hopefully you can find what you need here, though Austin or Houston are within a couple of hours if you need to widen your search; Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital is in downtown SA, though I don't know anything about their pediatric neurologists.

The "natural foods" chain here is Sun Harvest Farms; I think the nearest Whole Foods is at least an hour away.

There are a few non-religious homeschool groups in SA. I think there is also an API group in the New Braunfels area.

http://www.homeedsa.com/Support%20Groups.asp

SAHERO

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page