No vax friendly family doctor in Austin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have recommendations for doctors who are open to parents that choose alternative things like not vaccinating in the Austin area? I just moved to NW Austin.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I see Wes Glazener - he's okay with no vax, but is not AP. He isn't actively unsupportive, though. His handouts are pretty bad...recommending solids at four months, never let baby in bed, ignore tantrums, time outs at 18 months old, etc. He doesn't bring that stuff up in the visit, though. He generally isn't quick to prescribe meds and isn't alarmist, which is nice. His receptionist is great, and he had a really awful nurse but last time I was there she wasn't, and hopefully that's a permanent change.

I've heard good things about a clinic in Round Rock...School House, I think. I'm also about to check out Suffredini to see if she's more AP supportive.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM

Try Dr. Jerome Hudson.  http://hudsonadolescentmedicine.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/site.home.cfm

He's very liberal and non-judgmental.

I know clients who have used him for years who didn't/couldn't do standard vaccines.

They LOVE him!

Tanya Phillips, IBCLC

Austin, TX

Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 AM

We just found out our doctor is taking a leave of absence to stay home with her four children...she recommended Dr. Valerie Wheelock (Barton Creek Pediatrics) http://www.bartoncreekpediatrics.com/. I'll be checking her out even though we live in Round Rock. :/

Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 AM

What did you find out about Barton Creek Pediatrics?  We also live in Round Rock and are having our first child in January and are not wanting to vaccinate.  Please let me know if you found a new doctor that is open to no vax.

THANKS

Round Rock Mom To Beheartbeat.gif

Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
If you're in RR try Tree House Pediatrics (I think I called it School House above).

Wheelock and Hudson are both far from me...I checked out Suffredini but they have a blanket must-vax policy. I'm about to switch to Trestor at Central Family Practice. They're out of network so I'll have to file claims myself and pray to get partially reimbursed, but he does cradle to grave care so the whole family could see him. They also have acupuncturists on staff.

Kangos is another popular one, although I think they make you sign a waiver of you're non-vax.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the info!

Round Rock Mom To Beheartbeat.gif

Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM

I have been with Treehouse in Round Rock since my first son was born in 2009 (and have a newborn now).  We do delayed/selective vax and they have never said anything about it.  When we interviewed Dr. Travis he did mention that they have patients who don't vax at all and that is "scary" to him but they feel their job is to educate parents to make the best decision for themselves.  In any case our appointments are short and sweet - Dr. Travis doesn't ask any questions about bf'ing, where the baby sleeps, anything like that. Never mentioned anything about when to start solids or anything.  So basically he just does doctor stuff and doesn't really try to do any parenting stuff.  He does talk about milestones to watch for and safety concerns but that's about it.  I was just in there a couple of weeks ago and they did ask if I was getting my 3YO the Hep B anytime soon and I said no and they had me sign something, which is the first time they've ever asked me to do that.  But I signed it and that was that and no one said anything else about it.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM

I go to Wheelock, but I'm about to switch to beansprout pediatrics in Lakeway. Both are non vax friendly. Although, none that I know of are actively supportive of non vaxing.

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM

I go to Wheelock, but I'm about to switch to beansprout pediatrics in Lakeway. Both are non vax friendly. Although, none that I know of are actively supportive of non vaxing.

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 PM

I decided not to check out Barton Creek Pediatrics after all, but did find Dr. Trestor as well. We haven't switched yet, but I like the philosophy of the practice and want to find a doctor the whole family can see. I don't like that he's out of network, but I think it's worth it, anyway.

User Tag List