RN, IBCLC, Childbirth Ed jobs in Houston, Austin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

We are considering a move to TX.  We have family in Houston, but are flexible on exact location, depending on where DH, I or both can find jobs.  I am currently an L&D nurse, also teaching CBE and BF classes for the hospital here in NYC.  I'd like to move more in the direction of patient education, as opposed to staff nurse if possible.  Anyone out there who can offer some insight into what the outlook is in a given area?

Thanks so much,

Bonnie

x-posted in Birth Professionals

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Austin and Dallas are the more "Crunchy - Mom" areas of Texas...at least from what I hear as a doula.  College Station is really working hard to improve - St. Joseph's would be ideal to me if I were an L&D nurse - and there is a Scott and White coming very soon.  There is the College Station Medical Center which has a wonderful director for the L&D, postpartum, nursery, etc.  She's making great improvements and I have had some great experiences there.  CS is working toward having a medical district (here's a link if you're curious) http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=3675  so there is a lot of opportunity for growth and change.  I can't tell you much about Houston.  Hope that is helpful.  (please private message me if you would like more info)  :)

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#3 of 3 Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Austin is an awesome location for all kinds of childbirth professionals.

We have lots of hospitals here if that's your calling:

Seton Hospitals and St. Davids Healthcare Hospitals are the main two, and Scott & White is up north of Austin.

There are also lots of LC's and Childbirth Ed instructors that are solo practitioners, so you can hang your own sign!

Depending on how quickly you want to be in the green ($$$) there is a doula collective in Austin that partners with LCs,

Childbirth Ed Instructors, Midwives, Massage Therapists, Birth and PP Doulas, etc. to offer one stop shopping for Austin 

families, so you might check into opportunities to work WITH another group.  www.getbabied.com 

The benefits are known Austin name with physician collaboration, etc. already ongoing.

Collaborative advertising and shared responsibilities in the business.

You are basically a private contractor working WITH them.

Might be your thing, just options.

thanks,

Tanya Phillips, IBCLC & CD

Austin TX

www.MotherNurtureDoula.com

www.GetBabied.com 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page