Mothering Forum banner

RN, IBCLC, Childbirth Ed jobs in Houston, Austin?

753 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tanyamp 
#1 ·
Hi there,

We are considering a move to TX. We have family in Houston, but are flexible on exact location, depending on where DH, I or both can find jobs. I am currently an L&D nurse, also teaching CBE and BF classes for the hospital here in NYC. I'd like to move more in the direction of patient education, as opposed to staff nurse if possible. Anyone out there who can offer some insight into what the outlook is in a given area?

Thanks so much,

Bonnie

x-posted in Birth Professionals

#2 ·
Austin and Dallas are the more "Crunchy - Mom" areas of Texas...at least from what I hear as a doula. College Station is really working hard to improve - St. Joseph's would be ideal to me if I were an L&D nurse - and there is a Scott and White coming very soon. There is the College Station Medical Center which has a wonderful director for the L&D, postpartum, nursery, etc. She's making great improvements and I have had some great experiences there. CS is working toward having a medical district (here's a link if you're curious) http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=3675 so there is a lot of opportunity for growth and change. I can't tell you much about Houston. Hope that is helpful. (please private message me if you would like more info) :)

#3 ·
Austin is an awesome location for all kinds of childbirth professionals.

We have lots of hospitals here if that's your calling:

Seton Hospitals and St. Davids Healthcare Hospitals are the main two, and Scott & White is up north of Austin.

There are also lots of LC's and Childbirth Ed instructors that are solo practitioners, so you can hang your own sign!

Depending on how quickly you want to be in the green ($$$) there is a doula collective in Austin that partners with LCs,

Childbirth Ed Instructors, Midwives, Massage Therapists, Birth and PP Doulas, etc. to offer one stop shopping for Austin

families, so you might check into opportunities to work WITH another group. www.getbabied.com

The benefits are known Austin name with physician collaboration, etc. already ongoing.

Collaborative advertising and shared responsibilities in the business.

You are basically a private contractor working WITH them.

Might be your thing, just options.

thanks,

Tanya Phillips, IBCLC & CD

Austin TX

www.MotherNurtureDoula.com

www.GetBabied.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.