Please tell me about Austin, texas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

We will be moving to Austin, texas for my DH's new job in early August.  Can anyone tell me what neighborhoods are family friendly and if there are any areas that are recommended to avoid?  We will be renting for at least the first year or so and would love to be able to find a house  so that our 3 energetic boys have a good place to go and play.  Though a ground floor apartment or a townhouse would be doable.

We homeschool and would love to know about any active homeschool groups or co-ops.

We would also love to hear about what people do for fun there. I have already looked into the zoo in Austin. It seems a bit expensive to me when compared to the one down in San Antonio. Is the one in Austin really worth the higher entrance price? Our family love to get out in nature and walk/hike.

We are also hoping to be able to have another baby, so I would love to hear about midwives in the area you love.

TIA to anyone who responds.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#2 of 12 Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm actually in Washington, but wanted to see any replies.  A move to Austin  may be in our medium-term future.

#3 of 12 Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I did want to clarify something in my OP.  It is not the admission to the zoo that seemed so steep it is the yearly membership. Most zoos our family can get a yearly membership to the zoo around $80. The Austin zoo would cost us $130. 

Also does anyone have a midwife or midwife group that they love. I am hoping to have one more child in the next few years and would love to hear about midwives.

Last our family is at this time a non-vax with the chance of doing a few select vaccinations. Do you have a doctor that you love that would support this. In the past I have done mostly ND, so those suggestions are welcome too.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#4 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Hi Austin is wonderful city to raise a family in. As far as housing goes it really depends on your price range and the area of town your husband will be working in. The commutes can be horrible but anything west of IH 35 is going to be pretty awesome. I really love the area around loop 1 and slaughter lane (circle c) has really nice homes in every price range.

There is a really nice birthing center that just opened a new location in south austin ( austin area birthing center) I delived number 2 there last march and had a wonderful experience. I have not heard of any bad reviews about them. They even have a loacation in north austin. too. HTH

#5 of 12 Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you for replying.  DH is going to be working for National Instruments which is in North Austin.  Since we have not yet been to the area yet we do not know if the cummute is horrid or not North of town.  I have heard good things about Cedar Park area.

I have mostly only looked on craigslist so far for housing, but so many listings on there do not say much more then call our management company and we will hook you up with your perfect apartment/home. 

#6 of 12 Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM

We lived in south Austin for years, and moved to Cedar Park almost 2 years ago.  I was hesitant about moving up here because we loved the crunchy/quirky vibe in the south, but we *LOVE* it up here.  Forest Oaks is a great neighborhood with houses in many price ranges.  The cheaper "starter homes" are adorable with white picket fences and alleys.  (We also have 2 pools and 3 playgrounds.)  There's a great homeschooling community up north, the Learning Without Limits yahoo group.  There's also a south of the river homeschooling group but I don't recall the exact name.  Check out Austin Area Homeschoolers regardless of the area you move to--it's the largest group and very active.  I like our pediatrician, who is pro vax but accepts non vaxing patients.  She's part time, and I've heard less encouraging things about some of the other doctors in the practice.  Lisa Hutchens at Cedar Park Pediatric and Family Medicine.  There are parks EVERYWHERE regardless of where in Austin you live.  Seriously, everywhere.  Summers are pretty miserable due to the heat, but this time of year is wonderful for all the outside stuff.  Love the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center down south.  The Austin Zoo costs more than most because it's a rescue zoo.  All animals are rescue animals, so it's not quite as fancy as traditional zoos.  There are lots of greenbelt areas for hiking.  The AAH list will have tons of activities for your kids.  As far as midwives, Austin has tons of great ones.  It really depends on what type of care you're looking for, and your insurance needs.  Were you looking for hospital midwives, birth center or homebirth? 

#7 of 12 Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Austin is the best! You'll love it here.

I know lots of great midwives. Ours is Laurie Fremgen (http://www.lauriefremgen.com/www.lauriefremgen.com/Welcome.html)

If you have any characteristics/requests in mind for what kind of midwife/birth you're looking for, maybe I can help point you toward someone you'd click with.

Same with neighborhoods! There are actually several central and east neighborhoods that are fantastic for families too.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#8 of 12 Old 04-20-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle View Post

We lived in south Austin for years, and moved to Cedar Park almost 2 years ago.  I was hesitant about moving up here because we loved the crunchy/quirky vibe in the south, but we *LOVE* it up here.  Forest Oaks is a great neighborhood with houses in many price ranges.  The cheaper "starter homes" are adorable with white picket fences and alleys.  (We also have 2 pools and 3 playgrounds.)  There's a great homeschooling community up north, the Learning Without Limits yahoo group.  There's also a south of the river homeschooling group but I don't recall the exact name.  Check out Austin Area Homeschoolers regardless of the area you move to--it's the largest group and very active.  I like our pediatrician, who is pro vax but accepts non vaxing patients.  She's part time, and I've heard less encouraging things about some of the other doctors in the practice.  Lisa Hutchens at Cedar Park Pediatric and Family Medicine.  There are parks EVERYWHERE regardless of where in Austin you live.  Seriously, everywhere.  Summers are pretty miserable due to the heat, but this time of year is wonderful for all the outside stuff.  Love the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center down south.  The Austin Zoo costs more than most because it's a rescue zoo.  All animals are rescue animals, so it's not quite as fancy as traditional zoos.  There are lots of greenbelt areas for hiking.  The AAH list will have tons of activities for your kids.  As far as midwives, Austin has tons of great ones.  It really depends on what type of care you're looking for, and your insurance needs.  Were you looking for hospital midwives, birth center or homebirth? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up View Post

Austin is the best! You'll love it here.

I know lots of great midwives. Ours is Laurie Fremgen (http://www.lauriefremgen.com/www.lauriefremgen.com/Welcome.html)

If you have any characteristics/requests in mind for what kind of midwife/birth you're looking for, maybe I can help point you toward someone you'd click with.

Same with neighborhoods! There are actually several central and east neighborhoods that are fantastic for families too.

Thank you both for the info. 

As far as midwives I would want a homebirth or birthcenter midwife.  I have had 2 of my three sons at a birth center. The firs son was born at a hospital and that not a good experience. 

#9 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Hey there! My husband also works at NI and loves it. We live in Round Rock but are actually closer to Cedar Park than actual round rock. We live in the Vista Oaks neighborhood and really like it as well. The Austin Area birth center is actually across the street from NI.  I am a doula here and had a home birth a year ago. I used Laurie Fremgen and completely loved her. I would highly reccommend her. The "burbs" are a little less crunchy than inner Austin but cheaper for housing and very well kept.  My husband doesn't even have to get on the freeway to get to work..just straight down Parmer. It takes on average 20 minutes and last week, I got there for a lunch date in 15 minutes. My name is Sarah. Feel free to call me if you want to talk more. (512) 827-1857. Good luck!

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
#10 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Also..just noticed your location :-) We are in the Round Rock Stake and really like our ward. Yay crunchy LDS moms!

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
#11 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Sarah.  Round rock and Cedar Park are two of the places that I have been looking at online.   

#12 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 01:28 PM

I used Sisters Midwifery and was happy with them.  I'm not sure if they serve clients way north, but they're really great and they have a good relationship with the hospital which ended up being really import for me. If they won't go that far, they could probably recommend someone near you.

As for the zoo, it's really different.  It's not a shiny, big zoo like you're probably used to.  Like much of Austin, it's quirky.  We like it and are members (because we live Southwest and it's a fun place to go in the winter) but it's pretty rugged and different.  All of the animals there were rescued and the place runs on a shoestring.

Healthcare is a human right!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page