Houston, TX questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

This is my first post, so I hope that I am posting it in the right section.

I am not pregnant yet, but my husband and I want to do as much research as possible before we get the ball rolling.

We are going to hopefully be in Houston when we have our kids and I am looking for guidance on where to have our kids.

I would like to have a natural birth, without to many monitors and NO C-Section. I am so terrified of a C-section.

My husband doesnt like the idea of the birthing center away from a hospital. Are there any hospitals in Houston or nearby that have a birthing center with a midwife and what not in the hospital?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are.  St. Luke's in the NE area has a birth center which I have heard good things about.  Also there is a birth center in the NW side of town in Kingwood that is attached to the hospital.  I have heard good things about it as well.  I haven't had any babies at either of the birth centers, but quite a few women who had birthed at both places have been to my birth center and they were very happy with their experiences.  :-)  I don't know about other parts of town.  However, I would be a bit careful of Ben Taub hospital as I did attend a birth there and when the mom went in during labor in the evening there were NO MIDWIVES on duty and the doctors wanted to do the whole list of things (i.e IV, constant monitoring, epidural, iv antibiotics). 

Patty

Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are a couple of midwife groups that work in hospitals. It's definitely a hospital "birthing center," though, not like a freestanding birth center. They still work under doctors and hospital rules. You may have more freedom in some areas, but they will have a variety of things that are required, regardless. (You can ALWAYS refuse, but fighting in labor is not much fun!) You just have to decide if those are things that are important to you. And, if you birth in a hospital, you will absolutely want to hire a doula. Having a doula can improve your outcome dramatically!

If you want a truly natural birth and the best stats at avoiding a c-section, I would start interviewing midwives for out-of-hospital birth. I recommend that your husband come up with his own list of concerns to talk to MWs about, and that you both take your lists and see how you feel about each midwife you meet. There are many in the area with a variety of philosophies and approaches to birth. Doing the research before you are pregnant is great! If you find someone you love, you may be able to establish a relationship and get information to give you and your baby a great start *before* you even conceive.

If you're not yet in the Houston area but would like to start working on it, you can always ask for initial phone interviews.

All the best!
Heather B.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

User Tag List