My sister-in-law is newly pregnant and lives in Broken Arrow. I'm incredibly involved and knowledgeable about the birth community where I am (Minneapolis), but that is too far away! I am wondering if any of you wonderful ladies might have some insights for me about the birth community in your area.
She wants to give birth in a hospital, preferably with a CNM and a doula.
Doing some googling, I found out some basic information about the doula group in the area. However I have had a hard time finding answers to questions like:
- Is there a hospital that has a better reputation for being natural-birth friendly? One to absolutely avoid?
- Do any of the hospitals in the area offer waterbirth?
- Any specific lactation consultant to recommend?
- Any specific doula to recommend? (not faith-based)
- Any specific childbirth classes to recommend? (not faith-based)
- Any specific CNM's to recommend? Avoid? I have read positive things about Kim Kmita online, but they were from pretty mainstream places. Thoughts there?
Any information you can share with me (including anything that I've forgotten!) would be great and much appreciated!!! If you don't feel comfortable posting publicly, please feel free to send me a private message.
The only CNM I would recommend is Kim Kimita, CNM. The other CNMs are with the OU Clinic. I can give more information about that via pm. Kmita delivers at St. Francis South, an absolutely excellent hospital for natural birth!!!!
Water birth is not an option in any of the hospitals here. St. Francis South does have telemetry units for use in the shower if Mama wants in the shower while the care provider is wanting a read on baby/cntx.
I personally know one IBCLC that I can get her in contact with. That lady might also do some doula work but I'd have to ask her to know for sure.
There are several doulas available through DONEOK (there is one I can give a professional recommendation for). I have a friend who has been a doula for years and has assisted me at births that I can also recommend.
She might check out classes via Natural Lullabies. If she's looking for Bradley there are two ladies in town that I know of and have contact info for both if she needs it.
I'm happy to help answer any questions she might have. I'll pm you my contact info. :)
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife