Broken Arrow/Tulsa birth options.....opinions? Help! :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My sister-in-law is newly pregnant and lives in Broken Arrow. I'm incredibly involved and knowledgeable about the birth community where I am (Minneapolis), but that is too far away! I am wondering if any of you wonderful ladies might have some insights for me about the birth community in your area. 

She wants to give birth in a hospital, preferably with a CNM and a doula.

Doing some googling, I found out some basic information about the doula group in the area. However I have had a hard time finding answers to questions like:

- Is there a hospital that has a better reputation for being natural-birth friendly? One to absolutely avoid?

- Do any of the hospitals in the area offer waterbirth?

- Any specific lactation consultant to recommend?

- Any specific doula to recommend? (not faith-based)

- Any specific childbirth classes to recommend? (not faith-based)

- Any specific CNM's to recommend? Avoid? I have read positive things about Kim Kmita online, but they were from pretty mainstream places. Thoughts there? 

Any information you can share with me (including anything that I've forgotten!) would be great and much appreciated!!! If you don't feel comfortable posting publicly, please feel free to send me a private message. 

Thank you!!!!

#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM

The only CNM I would recommend is Kim Kimita, CNM.  The other CNMs are with the OU Clinic.  I can give more information about that via pm.  Kmita delivers at St. Francis South, an absolutely excellent hospital for natural birth!!!!

Water birth is not an option in any of the hospitals here.  St. Francis South does have telemetry units for use in the shower if Mama wants in the shower while the care provider is wanting a read on baby/cntx. 

I personally know one IBCLC that I can get her in contact with.  That lady might also do some doula work but I'd have to ask her to know for sure.  

There are several doulas available through DONEOK (there is one I can give a professional recommendation for).  I have a friend who has been a doula for years and has assisted me at births that I can also recommend.  

She might check out classes via Natural Lullabies.  If she's looking for Bradley there are two ladies in town that I know of and have contact info for both if she needs it.  

I'm happy to help answer any questions she might have.  I'll pm you my contact info.  :)

Heather
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife

#3 of 3 Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 PM

I know this thread was a couple of years ago, but I'm hoping for basically the same advice as the OP. I'm newly pregnant and have an appointment set up with Kim Kmita. I just moved to Tulsa from Denver, and it seems like there are so many fewer birth options here. Any hospitals that offer water birth? Anyone around who teaches hypnobabies? A good doula? A good lactation consultant? Good CNM's? Good pediatricians? I'm hoping for a natural, intervention-free, birth. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page