NISD & Special Education services...San Antonio - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm interested in hearing from parents who have used special education services in the NISD, particularly for ADHD and Asperger's students. My 1 year experience wasn't good, though it was a new school--on the other hand there are a lot of new schools in my area. The services coordinator that works for my son's charter mentioned that the regular PSs have a more established SE program and that we may at some point decide that we may find our current school inadequate. Looking around online I can find a lot of "the NISD has great special education services" but I can't find anything more specific than that.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#2 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM

We are in the NISD school district, but we homeschool so I am unsure of the quality of SE services.  I would like to know too, because my mds needs speech services.  I hope you're able to find something out.

#3 of 6 Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM

My DH works for NISD (he is not a teacher). He's definitely in the know about which schools have the best programs for multiple issues, as in his position he's worked with almost every school and visits campuses often. I will ask him, he will be home for lunch shortly!

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#4 of 6 Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM

We had an ok experience with the elementary and are currently doing the whole IEP process with the middle school. I have to push a little bit, but they've generally been pretty easy to work with.

My son has aspergers.

If you want the name of a SpecEd advocate, let me know, I'm friends with a GREAT one.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#5 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperRose View Post

We had an ok experience with the elementary and are currently doing the whole IEP process with the middle school. I have to push a little bit, but they've generally been pretty easy to work with.

My son has aspergers.

If you want the name of a SpecEd advocate, let me know, I'm friends with a GREAT one.

wave.gif I've 'seen' you around before. My school has been pretty easy to work with too, but the school is young (and a charter, so fewer resources) and the contractor lady implied that the school would be "learning on him" on how to do this right and that the regular ps districts had good programs already going. And surfing around that seems to be true; NISD and (more so) NEISD seem to have good reputations for spec. ed.

But, the grass is always greener and I don't know if a more established program will make up for some of the negatives of the neighborhood school (size, noise, problems with other students that continue after school, eventually needing to take the bus etc.). At ds' current school he would have the same special ed program (and people more or less) through graduation; which seems like a big plus since I read a lot of complaints about maintaining appropriate services through middle and HS. Perhaps it's that Ds' K experience was so terrible that I have difficulty imagining a worse one. I think I'd rather have a school that is willing to learn, than to end up at one that can't be bothered or that actually fights me.

It also looks like the school resource people are primarily concerned with children meeting state standards and the contracted people are more aware of SEd law as well as knowing what services to provide and getting it done; so as long as the school contracts with competent people we may be OK.  I need them to ensure ds gets what he needs to succeed there, but I'm also looking to outside sources for help so it's not all on them.

And I'd love to have the name the advocate thumb.gif.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

wave.gif I've 'seen' you around before. My school has been pretty easy to work with too, but the school is young (and a charter, so fewer resources) and the contractor lady implied that the school would be "learning on him" on how to do this right and that the regular ps districts had good programs already going. And surfing around that seems to be true; NISD and (more so) NEISD seem to have good reputations for spec. ed.

But, the grass is always greener and I don't know if a more established program will make up for some of the negatives of the neighborhood school (size, noise, problems with other students that continue after school, eventually needing to take the bus etc.). At ds' current school he would have the same special ed program (and people more or less) through graduation; which seems like a big plus since I read a lot of complaints about maintaining appropriate services through middle and HS. Perhaps it's that Ds' K experience was so terrible that I have difficulty imagining a worse one. I think I'd rather have a school that is willing to learn, than to end up at one that can't be bothered or that actually fights me.

It also looks like the school resource people are primarily concerned with children meeting state standards and the contracted people are more aware of SEd law as well as knowing what services to provide and getting it done; so as long as the school contracts with competent people we may be OK.  I need them to ensure ds gets what he needs to succeed there, but I'm also looking to outside sources for help so it's not all on them.

And I'd love to have the name the advocate thumb.gif.

I am going to message you. We ought to get together IRL. :) 

I can't find her card. nut.gif Kassandra Levay is her name, though! LOL

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page