x-post: Texas midwives: law says you can birth at home after 36 weeks, or 37? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I did my CPM training at MLL in El Paso (7 years ago, I've been at home with the kids ever since, so not terribly up on changes to legislature), we considered full term to be 36 weeks, even a day before and we would have to transfer care. I know we had to play very by the book or we would lose the only doctor back-up we had available for the center.

So it was with surprise that I heard from my midwife here in Houston that 37 weeks is the state law. I know state by state varies (and of course some midwives may not choose to follow the state law, ie; may feel more comfortable not birthing at home that early) but I'm having trouble finding online what's "on the books" as legal for attending homebirth in the state of Texas.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thank you!

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

I have no idea but thought I'd post to bump your thread up for attention. Maybe someone has some info to share. thumb.gif

#3 of 3 Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I answered in the Homebirth forum. 

I'm currently serving on the board, so feel free to ask me stuff and I'll tell you what I know.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page