New to San Antonio, looking for new drs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,
My name is Ashley, I am 27 and have 2 little boys, Jaiden (5) and Landon (2). We just joined my husband in San Antonio and are looking for new Drs. We are from the Austin area and absolutely LOVE our Drs there, but its just too far to drive if we needed a more urgent appointment. 
I am looking for a pedi who is breastfeeding friendly, and respectful of other parenting decisions that I make. We breastfeed on demand to at least a year, co-sleep and choose not to get the flu or Varicella vaccines so I would like someone who will not argue with me about any of those decisions.
I also will be needing a new PCP and OBGYN. I prefer female Drs for myself and unfortunately I will have to have a csection with my next baby since I have already had two :/ I really like a Dr who will listen and take the time to talk to me about my concerns rather than rushing me out of the room. Its also nice to have a Dr who doesn't mind me bringing my children along since I no longer have a sitter for them.

#2 of 4 Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Bump for more views! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Ashley, have you discovered the San Antonio Natural Parenting website? smile.gif very useful info there, and I would recommend friending them on FB and subsequently joining the SANP discussion group--loads of info in the discussion group! The docs and midwives at Lone Star ob/gyn generally come highly recommended. Pedis...depends on what part of town. A lot of moms see Family Practioners instead. PCP, I've heard good things abt Dr. Earp and Dr. Nguyen.
#4 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Have you checked out Dr. Diane McMains in the clock tower center? She's awesome. The staff originally told me I had to vax but at the first appointment I requested to speak with the Dr. first and she's been good with that so far (dd is about to turn two, we've had only three vax as seperate things that I approved of before hand) they nurses still ask me at each visit if we're going to do any shots that day but they don't give me any grief about it when I say no. She's definitely breastfeeding/co sleeping friendly and very laid back. Basically saying that what was working for us was working for us so why fix something that's not broke? she also accepts CHIP/Medicaid which was a big deal for us as most of the natural parenting style/breastfeeding/no vax Dr.s in the area seemed to look down on Medicaid as not worthy of their time. Her office is in the clock tower shopping center at 281 and San Pedro (about 2-3 exits down from 281 and 1604. You should definitely check her out!

Good luck,

Kate

familybed1.gifwife and helpmate todp_malesling.GIF  mommy to Caileigh dust.gif  lactivist.gif  saynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page