Relocating to DFW! We need: Homebirth Midwife & Non-Vax friendly pediatrician &/or family Dr. Any recs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our family is relocating to the DFW area from Michigan. I am currently pregnant and am looking for a reasonably priced midwife experienced with VBAC's. I have had 3 successful vaginal deliveries since my c-section (twins, baby B turned breech). Two of which were at home (including my most recent). Does anyone have an recommendations for me? We are planning another homebirth this time around and I am due June 6th smile.gif

Also, we need a family doctor and/or pediatrician who is comfortable with seeing non-vaxing patients. Basically, an AP doctor wink1.gif

Another question - I am looking for a local, "tribe". Does anyone have any recommendations of an attachment parenting community group in the area?

As a side note, I also offer placenta encapsulation. I am looking forward to working with Texas families! Please PM me for more information or for the link to my website.

#2 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Subbing as I have many of the same questions. :D We are hoping to move there towards the end of the summer. :)

#3 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGurl020412 View Post

Subbing as I have many of the same questions. :D We are hoping to move there towards the end of the summer. :)

I am so glad that I am not alone!!! 

I will also add that we homeschool. Our kids, ages 1-14 can't wait to play with new friends. We are also interested in homeschooling co-ops!

#4 of 11 Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM

I did find this page with lots of links to Birth Centers. Several of them seem to also offer home birth. :)

http://betterbirthdoula.org/dfw-birth-centers/

#5 of 11 Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGurl020412 View Post

I did find this page with lots of links to Birth Centers. Several of them seem to also offer home birth. :)

http://betterbirthdoula.org/dfw-birth-centers/

thank you for sharing that. i have found lots of homebirth midwives. but to me, people experiences w/them are more important, KWIM? also, to me, experienced midwives are more important to me than licensed midwives. i see a lot of midwives & birth centers bragging about certification & licensing...

#6 of 11 Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Hi,

We have lots of great resources in the DFW area.  On Facebook, my two favorite groups are DFW crunchy mamas  and DFW Holistic Families.  You can locate midwives on The Association of Texas Midwives site. 

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#7 of 11 Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Hi! I live in McKinney and am pregnant with our 4th. This is my first baby in TX so I had to find a new midwife. So far, (I am only 13 weeks) I am very happy with her, Kathleen Mayorga. She owns Bella Births but also does HB. She didn't object to this birth being a VBAC. 1st was a c, 2 vbacs since then.

I really like our pedi. I wouldn't say she is totally AP but she is perfectly fine with our slow vax schedule and very respectful of our other parenting choices. Her name is Dr Menchaca. Not sure about the other docs at her practice, only ever seen her.

We also homeschool. There are tons of groups up here. Our group is MARCH, McKinney Area Christian Homeschoolers.

We don't do any play groups cuz homeschooling and coop keep us busy but there are active DFW baby wearers and cloth diaper groups.

Welcome!

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolszewski View Post

Hi! I live in McKinney and am pregnant with our 4th. This is my first baby in TX so I had to find a new midwife. So far, (I am only 13 weeks) I am very happy with her, Kathleen Mayorga. She owns Bella Births but also does HB. She didn't object to this birth being a VBAC. 1st was a c, 2 vbacs since then.

I really like our pedi. I wouldn't say she is totally AP but she is perfectly fine with our slow vax schedule and very respectful of our other parenting choices. Her name is Dr Menchaca. Not sure about the other docs at her practice, only ever seen her.

We also homeschool. There are tons of groups up here. Our group is MARCH, McKinney Area Christian Homeschoolers.

We don't do any play groups cuz homeschooling and coop keep us busy but there are active DFW baby wearers and cloth diaper groups.

Welcome!

Kathleen, how did you find your co-op? I would love to get the kids signed up for this semester, even if they are a little late. Is there a good website that lists area co-ops? We will be just north of Dallas. 

I will check out the midwife recommendation, that you. Congratulations on your VBAC's! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post

Hi,

We have lots of great resources in the DFW area.  On Facebook, my two favorite groups are DFW crunchy mamas  and DFW Holistic Families.  You can locate midwives on The Association of Texas Midwives site. 

Thank you for responding! I tried to join the DFW Holistic Families group but I never heard back. Are you in it? Can someone send me an invite? If so, JLMK and I will message you my Facebook info.

#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM

I am in it.  I do spend more time on the DFW Crunchy Mamas group though.  Friend me: Mercy Eizenga and then I can request to add you.  You do have to wait for an admin to approve you. Since you are not friends with anyone in the group, that may be why you didn't get accepted.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#10 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post

I am in it.  I do spend more time on the DFW Crunchy Mamas group though.  Friend me: Mercy Eizenga and then I can request to add you.  You do have to wait for an admin to approve you. Since you are not friends with anyone in the group, that may be why you didn't get accepted.

I just friended you. It looks like we have 3 mutual friends.

Thank you for the info. I am looking forward to getting situated and connected with resources!

#11 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Hi, I would personally and highly recommend contacting the midwives at Inanna Birth & Women's Care in Denton, Texas (Denton is located about 30-40 minutes north of Dallas).  We used them when we had our son last April and I cannot say enough good things about them!!  I believe they do VBACs, too.

Regarding a family doctor that is supportive of not vaxing, we use Family Care Center in Denton.  Dr. Tom Newell and his staff are compassionate, educated, and we love them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page