Do Austin, TX hospitals test for pot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas, I've done my research and have all the info to make my decisions, so no flames please.

I am planning a homebirth but it just occurred to me the problems I could potentially run into if I need to be transferred for some reason. Does anyone have experience with ATX hospitals (St. David's, specifically) regarding this issue? Also, any experience with the potential consequences (cps involvement, taking baby away, etc...)?

I am not on any state assistance nor do I "look" the part of a cannabis-friendly mama, which I understand can make a difference (sadly). I am in no way a heavy user ( I vape, not smoke) as I have partaken maybe 8-10x total in my pregnancy... but still I can't help but to be nervous :(

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 4 Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM

Gave birth at St Davids one year ago. I never once had anyone test or ask. An I probably looked the friendly type too!

You will be fine...

In Washington state they asked me for consent to test. I simply said no... that it was too much of an infringement of my privacy and it was upon principle. No one said a word.

Blessings

#3 of 4 Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM

I think that testing is mandatory in Texas now, but I'm not positive. I had a friend just test positive at birth and she is now taking drug ed classes and has a cps caseworker...

#4 of 4 Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It is not mandatory, but some hospitals test everyone, and some leave it to the discretion of the physicians.  I know several anesthesiologists that want a screen before an epidural is placed.  Neonatologists will screen the child & mom if there are any problems with the baby.  In Texas, you do not have to consent for testing, it is part of your consent to treat that you sign when you come into the hospital.  It is also standard practice in a hospital to save extra urine &blood sent to the lab for testing in case further tests are needed, so the initial sample you give in labor (where they check for glucose, protein and infection), could be used later to screen for drugs without your knowledge or consent.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page