Austin areas with lots of geeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband is going to be interviewing at a couple of companies in Austin. I've put red dots over their locations on this map:

We live in San Diego now. Mainly, I'm looking for an area that may somehow have a higher proportion of geeky kids. Maybe where a lot of tech workers tend to settle? My older daughter is 9 and not very social. She isn't made fun of at her current school, but I could see how in a more snobby, social-piranha setting she could be. She reads all the time, doesn't know a thing about current music, but knows Fiddler on the Roof by heart, isn't interested in boys, but is very pleasant and energetic. I just wouldn't want a move to be harder on her than it has to be. 
I noticed that Westwood has a high Asian population (a plus in my book) and is considered geeky. Are there other schools like this, particularly in Leander ISD (it sounds like they have a better gifted program than Round Rock ISD). How does Cedar Park High compare, socially, to Westwood? Although right now I'm mainly interested in elementary schools and middle schools, I'm looking ahead to high schools, too. I tend to over-research! Thanks,
Janine

#2 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 AM

I homeschool, so really do not know much about the local schools.  I live in Round rock area and do have friends that have children in the gifted program and love it.  

It looks like one of the places your husband is interviewing with is national instruments.  My husband works there and really likes it. 

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#3 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM

I live in Cedar Park and have a daughter in Leander ISD.  Honestly, I'm not sure that you could find a geek-free part of the Austin area if you tried.  The tech industry is huge here and the majority of families I know have someone working in some part of the industry.  Pretty much everywhere you go, you'll find geeky parents, although that doesn't always filter down to the kids.  My daughter is in kindergarten so I can't speak beyond that, but the kids in her school seem really warm and accepting in general.  (Or else she's cheerfully oblivious.)  I've been pleasantly surprised by our experience with our school, although I'm sincerely hoping to move to homeschooling soon.  There is an amazing homeschooling community here, and those kids are really accepting.  There's also a gifted homeschoolers group that meets for weekly park days.  Don't know if homeschooling is at all an option for your family.  There's also a wonderful yahoo group called AustinEd where parents discuss the educational options in the area, but it can take a long time to get moderator approval to join the group.

#4 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Both of the companies that my husband is interviewing for are video game companies (which is ironic because I think video games are evil!). We're not thinking of homeschooling partly because I really hate teaching and I have such great memories of going to school myself. I'd probably like Waldorf best, but private schools are so expensive when you have 3 kids. Oh well! It does sound like there will be lots of little nerdlings around Austin. 

And my mom just told me that in today's San Diego newspaper there were 3 articles about San Diegans moving to Austin: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/17/tp-california-vs-texas-transferred-to-austin-what/ I haven't read them yet, but I will be pouring over them soon.

#5 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Update: We're definitely moving to Austin in a couple of months! My husband got the job near Parmer and Mopac. He probably won't have to be at work until 9:30, so that could help with traffic issues, but do any of you have recommendations for areas to live nearby with great schools? I'd like to stay under $300,000 for a home. I'm still hoping to find areas with lots of geeky kids who aren't fashion obsessed and such. For that matter, I'd like to be around moms who are similar to that. The realtor I talked to mentioned Milwood (is that where Caraway Elementary is?). How are Avery Ranch and Brushy Creek for commute times? My husband is going to start working at the end of April, but we won't be able to come over until we sell our house. I have a lot to do to get it ready. Ugh.

Janine

#6 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM

We love the brushy creek area.  There are lots of small subdivisions around here that are really nice. 

My DH works near where your husband will and it takes him between 15-30 minutes to get to work mattering on the traffic.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 PM

You know, Apple and Dell are both located up north, so you might want to look into hoods near those campuses. I am on AAH yahoo group (Austin area homeschoolers), which has loads of files, discussions, announcements and meet ups. Maybe that would be a helpful resource for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page