Preschools in Los Alamos or Santa Fe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I am pregnant with my second and currently live in Philadelphia. My husband is in Los Alamos for a postdoc. I will give birth here at a lovely birth center (if it goes according to my plan!) and then we will move to either Los Alamos or Santa Fe. We're still not sure where we want to live. I have to figure that all out.

My daughter currently goes to a cooperative preschool which is really progressive and diverse. It's so warm and through co-oping, I know all the teachers intimately as well as the other kids and their parents. It's a beautiful school and I'm sad to be giving it up for my daughter. Anyone know of any really good preschools schools in either Santa Fe or Los Alamos?

Also, where could I find more resources--- Los Alamos or Santa Fe? I'm guessing Santa Fe since it's a bigger city but I would also like to be close to my husband's work. So... I'm torn. I think my husband is leaning toward us going to Santa Fe.

Anyway, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you <3

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:
#2 of 8 Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 PM

So the drive between towns can be a pain, there's a lot of winding roads. Both areas are pricey. I know that there is a Northern NM baby wearing group on FB., Mikhailia d'la Leone is an admin, some moms there might know of schools. Santa Fe has trader Joes, whole foods, a coop, los Alamos has a smiths. I grew up in Santa Fe and loved it. Good luck.
#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 PM

I don't know much (anything!) about Los Alamos, but Santa Fe has lots of different pre-school options. Check out La Casita, Little Earth, Dragonfly School, Temple Beth Shalom, Desert Montessori, and Gentle Nudge. La Casita is cooperative-- the rest are not but they are progressive, warm, sweet schools (most of them have websites so you can check them out that way for now...)

I grew up here in SF and loved it-- and we're now raising DS here. I'd be happy to gush more about my hometown...just let me know what you'd like to know ;)

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#4 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitanamama View Post

I don't know much (anything!) about Los Alamos, but Santa Fe has lots of different pre-school options. Check out La Casita, Little Earth, Dragonfly School, Temple Beth Shalom, Desert Montessori, and Gentle Nudge. La Casita is cooperative-- the rest are not but they are progressive, warm, sweet schools (most of them have websites so you can check them out that way for now...)

I grew up here in SF and loved it-- and we're now raising DS here. I'd be happy to gush more about my hometown...just let me know what you'd like to know ;)

Ohhh it's good to hear such positive things. I actually randomly found La Casita a couple nights ago doing a Google investigation. I already sent an email out to the director. Hopefully she gets back to me soon. 

Is there a large natural parenting community there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabbmom View Post

So the drive between towns can be a pain, there's a lot of winding roads. Both areas are pricey. I know that there is a Northern NM baby wearing group on FB., Mikhailia d'la Leone is an admin, some moms there might know of schools. Santa Fe has trader Joes, whole foods, a coop, los Alamos has a smiths. I grew up in Santa Fe and loved it. Good luck.

Oh I will definitely look for that group---- Thanks for the suggestion!!!

#5 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Los Alamos and White Rock have a lot of preschools for the size of the community, including several Montessori schools.  There are a lot of natural moms here.  Before we moved here, someone told me that Los Alamos is really a better place to be for families (than SF) and now that we've been here for 1.5 years, I think that's true.  There are LOTS of family activities. 

Santa Fe is definitely better for certain things, but there are a lot of preschool options up here.

#6 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Los Alamos also has a co-op market, too!

#7 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

Los Alamos and White Rock have a lot of preschools for the size of the community, including several Montessori schools.  There are a lot of natural moms here.  Before we moved here, someone told me that Los Alamos is really a better place to be for families (than SF) and now that we've been here for 1.5 years, I think that's true.  There are LOTS of family activities. 

Santa Fe is definitely better for certain things, but there are a lot of preschool options up here.

Thanks for your response. From what I've been reading online, Los Alamos does seem to be more family friendly. I feel so torn now about what to do. I may PM you with some questions, if that's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

Los Alamos also has a co-op market, too!

I know! The community I am in right now has a co-op market and it's basically the crown jewel of our community. I love it.

#8 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Sure!  We're in the middle of a move right now, so I may not respond really quickly.  I'll try to remember to check!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page