Santa Fe/Espanola midwife recommendations or Los Alamos OB feedback - Mothering Forums
Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico > Santa Fe/Espanola midwife recommendations or Los Alamos OB feedback
Jayray's Avatar Jayray 02:27 PM 05-13-2013
DH and I are TTC and I'm starting to research birthing options here. My first two were born in a free-standing birth center in NC and I liked that. But I don't want to have to drive to the birth center in Taos or Abq. Any homebirth midwife recommendations? Any feedback on the OB in Los Alamos?

tracyamber's Avatar tracyamber 10:35 PM 05-23-2013

I am bumping your post. ANyone have any recommendations?


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 07:04 PM 05-25-2013

Thanks for bumping.  I was hoping for some real testimonies, but I suppose I can just interview them and see for myself!  The midwife in Espanola is fairly new.  I've met her briefly and liked her personality, but, again, was hoping for someone who had actually birthed with her.

 

Anyone? 
 


eabbmom's Avatar eabbmom 07:28 PM 05-25-2013
I belong to a group on Facebook that is in ABQ but we have members up north...you can pm if you want an admins name to join. Have you been by Indigo Baby? She might have some leads.
Path2Felicity's Avatar Path2Felicity 08:17 AM 05-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

Thanks for bumping.  I was hoping for some real testimonies, but I suppose I can just interview them and see for myself!  The midwife in Espanola is fairly new.  I've met her briefly and liked her personality, but, again, was hoping for someone who had actually birthed with her.

 

Anyone? 
 

 

Hey :) I'm pregnant and moving to SF in July. I still don't know where I'm going to birth but it seems like there aren't too, too many options in terms of free standing birth centers. I am probably going to go to Taos. Have you looked into homebirth midwives in Santa Fe? http://www.newmexicomidwifery.org/index.php/site/directory-index/C11/


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 02:28 PM 05-29-2013
Thanks, eabbmom. I haven't been to indigo baby. Trips to sf are usually pretty hectic!

Hi, path! Yes, I have looked into the sf and Espanola midwives. I was hoping to get some first hand recommendations.
Path2Felicity's Avatar Path2Felicity 09:15 AM 05-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

Thanks, eabbmom. I haven't been to indigo baby. Trips to sf are usually pretty hectic!

Hi, path! Yes, I have looked into the sf and Espanola midwives. I was hoping to get some first hand recommendations.

 

Yeah, sorry, you did mention that repeatedly :)

 

I wish I could be more helpful! Is Taos birth center completely out for you? My husband visited there for me (since I'm not there right now) and basically said, "You would be so happy here. It's worth the drive."

 

But we have to figure out insurance and such.


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 07:08 PM 06-01-2013

I really don't want to drive an hour+ while in labor and possibly in the snow.  (We're TTC this month!)  But I have thought about it.

 

I actually saw someone at a graduation party today who had a homebirth with Elizabeth Cassidy and highly recommended her.  She said another woman there also had a birth with her and liked her.  So I finally got an actual real life recommendation!  I just need to keep asking around town.  There must be more people out there who have had homebirths! 


Path2Felicity's Avatar Path2Felicity 06:40 PM 06-02-2013

Yeah I totally understand the driving thing. 

 

And yay for a first hand recommendation. How much do homebirths typically cost in SF? Just wondering if it varies by region. In Philly, it's about 4500.


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 01:31 PM 06-03-2013
I have no idea! I have read that our insurance will cover one, but you have to do some special paperwork or something. I'm pretty sure I just read that even Medicaid here covers home births. We'll see. I'll have to figure it out, but thankfully have plenty of time!
PDXinABQ's Avatar PDXinABQ 01:40 PM 06-03-2013

We're in Albuquerque and had a home birth last year. I've known of some midwives in ABQ traveling north. We paid $3600 for all prenatal, birth and post-partum care. Seems a little high after paying $2400 for a home birth in Portland, Oregon the year before. But, our insurance will not cover anything that took place at home - so we traveled into midwife's office for 90% of the visits. 


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 01:48 PM 06-03-2013
Interesting. I know some of the midwives up here have you come to their office for prenatal exams. What insurance do you have?
Jayray's Avatar Jayray 01:51 PM 06-03-2013
And Path, there is also a birth center in Abq that I have heard good things about. It would be closer for you than Taos, I would think.
Path2Felicity's Avatar Path2Felicity 08:19 PM 06-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

And Path, there is also a birth center in Abq that I have heard good things about. It would be closer for you than Taos, I would think.

Yeah, I already contacted them but they are sooo expensive. If I go with them, I may as well do homebirth. The midwives in Taos made it seem like our insurance would cover a lot of the costs. I have to figure this all out once I move in July. 

 

I just told my employers I'm leaving AND we just rented our house for a year.

 

It's becoming more and more real to me that I'm coming...


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 01:40 PM 06-04-2013
Congrats on all the progress toward moving! I hope it goes smoothly for you.

All this cost/insurance stuff is so interesting. I had two birth center births in nc. The insurance paid most of it--I think we paid around $600. That included prenatal stuff (except for labs and ultrasounds). I would be interested to know what works out for you if you remember this thread at that point!
diamondcks's Avatar diamondcks 02:13 PM 07-13-2013

Hi, my name is Claire and I'm a doula in Los Alamos.  There is a group that meets monthly called "Birth Talk" and many of the women have had home births, it would be a great place to get recommendations.  We meet the first Monday of every month at Family Strengths Network at 6:30pm.  I had both of my kids at the brith center in Taos, I had wonderful experiences, but it was a long drive.    There is supposed to be a birth center opening in Espanola this fall called Breath of My Heart Birthplace, I've also heard rumors of one in Santa Fe, but nothing concrete.
 


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 01:57 PM 07-19-2013
Thanks, Claire! I've seen signs for birth talk before, but haven't been yet!
metalsmithmom's Avatar metalsmithmom 11:18 AM 07-27-2013

Hello!  My baby girl was a homebirth here in Santa Fe with Tanja Bolle.  I highly recommend her, she was fantastic to work with.  She also brought another midwife, Mariah, to the actual birth to help/assist her, which was a big plus to me. 

 

A friend recently used Seva for her midwife, but her baby was premature so she ended up giving birth at the hospital.

 

All of the midwives in the Santa Fe area charge the same amount, 3500.

 

I checked into the birthcenters at Taos and Abq, and while both seemed lovely, and less expensive, I ultimately did not want to risk driving to either, in winter, while in labor!  Last year a friend went to the Taos birthing center and labored there for 16 hours, but had to be transferred to the hospital for an emergency c-section.  But she loved the center and the midwives there, and said they had no problem transferring her to the hospital when needed.  She and her husband spent a few days in Taos prior to the baby coming (hard to plan that!) and after as well to make it easier to attend appointments/follow-up visits at the center.

 

I think the Abq. birth center is staffed by certified nurse midwives, rather than licensed midwives, which would be a plus if you have any health concerns or a high risk pregnancy.  The Taos center seems more earthy, natural, would have been my choice.
 


Jayray's Avatar Jayray 08:24 AM 07-28-2013

Thanks so much for your input!  That's really helpful!


Path2Felicity's Avatar Path2Felicity 09:41 AM 07-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsmithmom View Post

Hello!  My baby girl was a homebirth here in Santa Fe with Tanja Bolle.  I highly recommend her, she was fantastic to work with.  She also brought another midwife, Mariah, to the actual birth to help/assist her, which was a big plus to me. 

 

A friend recently used Seva for her midwife, but her baby was premature so she ended up giving birth at the hospital.

 

All of the midwives in the Santa Fe area charge the same amount, 3500.

 

I checked into the birthcenters at Taos and Abq, and while both seemed lovely, and less expensive, I ultimately did not want to risk driving to either, in winter, while in labor!  Last year a friend went to the Taos birthing center and labored there for 16 hours, but had to be transferred to the hospital for an emergency c-section.  But she loved the center and the midwives there, and said they had no problem transferring her to the hospital when needed.  She and her husband spent a few days in Taos prior to the baby coming (hard to plan that!) and after as well to make it easier to attend appointments/follow-up visits at the center.

 

I think the Abq. birth center is staffed by certified nurse midwives, rather than licensed midwives, which would be a plus if you have any health concerns or a high risk pregnancy.  The Taos center seems more earthy, natural, would have been my choice.
 

 

Thanks for your insight. The birth center in Abq was going to cost me about 3000 out of pocket. The birth center in Taos is charging me 850. That's a huge difference and worth the drive for us. Of course, we wouldn't be driving in the winter... so that is a key factor in our decision as well. 

 

You're right--- the birth center in Taos is staffed by CNMs rather than CPMs. That used to make a difference for me--- I trusted CNMs more. However, after receiving care at the Taos birth center, I'm basically convinced that I am in the safest hands. They are very cautious, despite their earthy and natural feel... and very competent. They really are wonderful caregivers. I can't say enough positive things about them. We just have to think about logistics in terms of getting up there.

 

Thanks so much for your input :)


Path2Felicity's Avatar Path2Felicity 07:52 PM 07-28-2013

Sorry... that should read: "You're right--- the birth center in Taos is staffed by CPMs rather than CNMs."

 

And actually, starting August 1, they will have a CNM join their ranks. One of the midwives is leaving, so they've hired a CNM in her place.


Up