A hands-off Houston Midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm new here, mother of two, new also to Houston.  I had an unassisted birth and then a midwife assisted birth with the most un-intrusive midwife I can imagine.  She was so laid back, for example she never had to do a vaginal exam.  I don't think she touched that area until there was actually a baby coming out of it.

So, looking for a midwife now, I'm wondering how to find that person nearby now who is similarly hands-off and will not be doing a lot of monitoring and checking during labor.  Good back pressure skills are just a bonus.

Know anyone like that?

AP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM

For the most part, I do believe CPMs generally are OK with a client denying any exams, except perhaps in active labor. I know that the CPM I saw with my first always asked before exams and was perfectly OK with me declining any - it was phrased more of a "We can do this exam if you like," rather than, "We would like to do this exam, but you may decline it." Out of sheer curiosity (because I know that cervix dilation pre-labor, etc., really isn't a good indicator of how soon baby will be arriving), I personally chose to have the exams. In our area of East Texas, at least, most of the midwives offer a free consultation, and they're generally pretty open about how hands-on or hands-off their exams will be. And to tell the truth, if they'd be offended by such questions during a consultation, it doesn't sound like the type of midwife you'd want to see!

#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM

I ADORE my midwife Natalie at the Katy Birthing Center. The other midwives the are all wonderful too!
#4 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Yes! Sandra McDonald. The only time she did a check was right before I started pushing, and she asked, "Is it ok if I check you?" I didn't say yes immediately, and she waited patiently. When I was ready, the head was too low for it to really count. I would consider her super hands-off, which I love. Shoot me an email and I'll get you her contact info. It's best to call her though. My email is [email protected] Or you can look up houstonmidwives.org to look of the Greater Houston Midwives Alliance.
#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 PM

My DD was born at Nativiti Birth Center in The Woodlands. My midwife was Melanie and her attendant was Trisha. Melanie was very hands off but I did allow her to do a few exams throughout my labor. It helped me visualize how my birth process was coming along. Melanie and Trisha were awesome!!! I will definitely return to Nativiti for baby #2

Eri mom to our two beautiful DDs (born 5/2012) and (7/2014). I also happen to be married to THE best DH ever! We're a proud Christian family!

" I carried you for nine months, and I'm going to carry you until you can carry yourself on your own."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page