Homebirth in OKC/OK Laws and Insurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Hi!

I recently moved to the OKC area and am not as familiar with the community and laws here. In my home state and locale, there were two fantastic midwives (CPM and CNM) used by most alternatively-birthing women in the area.

My CNM birth with my first child was flawless, and I'm hoping to have a homebirth with my next. It seems like you can't swing an armadillo without hitting a midwife in the OKC area, which is great, but it makes the field a bit more complicated when it comes to rave reviews.

1) If you've had a homebirth with an OKC-area midwife or group, who did you have, and what were your opinions? Is there anyone you've used and said, "This was so great, I'll never birth with another midwife as long as s/he is here!" Is there any particular practice you'd avoid, for whatever reason (habits, bad experience, practice requirements, personality clash)? I'd love to find someone who works well with myself and my family, and I don't want to waste anyone's time when searching.

2) In addition, I'm not sure about the laws regarding CPMs/DEMs/CMs, and how that would affect insurance coverage. If you've gone through the insurance battle in OK and have any wisdom to share, I would be grateful.

3) If you also have any hospital/OB/CNM recommendations that are respectful of homebirth and the desire to be intervention-free, I would absolutely be grateful, if for nothing more than a Plan B.

Our insurance premiums are not inexpensive, we're a single-income family, and if our out-of-pocket cost for a hospital birth is minimal compared to a 100% out-of-pocket homebirth, my husband (who is considerably more "birthing mainstream" than I am, and is extremely uncomfortable with the idea of a UP/UC) has pointed out that monthly bills take precedence over a homebirth. I haven't yet looked into homebirth and midwifery coverage with insurance as we're still dealing with our move, but would like to be prepared and have these things in mind for when I do.

Thank you all so very much for your help.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#2 of 4 Old 11-28-2013, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Congratulations on your recent move! It looks like your post may have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caledvwlch View Post
Is there any particular practice you'd avoid, for whatever reason (habits, bad experience, practice requirements, personality clash)?

Everyone, when making recommendations, please keep in mind:

Quote:
Positive healthcare provider reviews are welcome. Please use careful language when responding to or soliciting a review. We do not wish to host negative remarks or comments about practitioners, practices, hospitals or healthcare centers that might cast them in a negative light and which would present liability concerns for you and for Mothering. Negative comments that are verifiable facts of public record or court ruling are acceptable. Please avoid speculation and/or gossip. Please contact the provider or care center directly with any concerns or questions.

Statements such as: Hospital A has a 30% cesarean rate or Dr. B is not licensed to perform surgery both contain publicly accessible and verifiable information. A statement such as: I would never go to Dr. C because she is unkind and hostile to VBACs is personal opinion and possibly defamatory.

As an alternative to posting a negative review, members are welcome to use the Private Message (PM) system to convey information that might not be appropriate for the public boards. Posts or threads that cast healthcare providers, practices or centers in a negative light are not appropriate and will be removed. 

For more information, please check out the information here.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know several midwives in that area.  Happy to pass along my recommendations via pm.  Or you could check out the Oklahoma Birth Network website and provider directory:  http://www.oklahomabirthnetwork.com/providers/index-6_mid.html

Regarding your second question.  CPM and other DEMs are not regulated in OK.  There are a couple CNMs in the state who are able to do out-of-hospital births.  There is one in the OKC are who will be starting a practice the first of the year.  I know some midwives have success filing with insurance via a billing service.  You would have to talk to the midwife about her specific policy on filing with insurance companies (not all of us in the state do).

It's my understanding that OU there is *the* place to be for a natural birth.  

Happy to help any way I can.  :)  

Heather
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife

#4 of 4 Old 12-07-2013, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi there! Welcome to OK. :)

We are in Norman. Here there is a midwifery center called Community Midwifery Center
http://cmsmidwife.com/

But like someone else said, OU is great. The CNMs there are really well respected. Personally I had an all natural water birth there with my son (who is now 6).

I know a couple great doulas too who can probably help more.

http://www.spiriteddoula.com/

and

http://babywearingdoula.com/Home_Page.html

and

www.birthmattersok.com

I hope some of this helps! 

Rachel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page