Talk to me about Oklahoma City area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hubby may be transferred to a company in OK and we are from CT so this would be a shock.  But, where to live would be a possible challenge depending on a few factors.  We live in a town of 1700 people now and like small towns, we are very liberal, very crunchy, Buddhist and are a mixed family (DH, DD and I are white and our other DD is very dark AA).  So taking all this into consideration where would be a good area to live near Oklahoma City?  Racism is the top factor we need to consider of course! Oh and I am PARANOID of tornado activity!

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#2 of 4 Old 12-12-2013, 02:09 AM

I live in Norman, a college town of 100,000 and a suburb of Oklahoma City. My husband teaches at OU. It's a fairly liberal place by Oklahoma standards, although it won't seem that way at first probably to you (nowhere in OK will). I'd check it out. It has a small town feel and a liberal community if you stay around the campus area. Your husband could commute to OKC (30 minute drive). If you'd rather be in Oklahoma City you might think twice about public schools, but there are otherwise appealing pockets such as the Paseo district. I think what's going to be more important than anything is having the right attitude. You can have the life and the friends you want in Oklahoma, but you're going to have to work harder to seek out the things/people you like. They're there, you just have to find them. Feel free to ask me whatever questions you have. I'm moving away soon but have lived in the OKC area for a very long time.
#3 of 4 Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I know the feeling - I'm from New England and just moved to OK. I've traveled to OK often in the past, but it is definitely very different from "home". Seconding the opinion on public schools - they aren't very good, generally speaking. There are some local homeschool groups, I know of a Norman-based group (that is secular) and an Edmond-based group just off the top of my head.

Agreed on seeking out things/people - another thing I would encourage is just being open-minded in general. Too many people of one political persuasion or the other have "mental stereotypes" of the "other side", and it really limits things. I'm not Christian (which already puts me in a minority out here) and I definitely take it with a grain of salt whenever well-meaning individuals invite me to their church or speak about their religion, pray before a meal, or are actively religious homeschoolers. I just politely say, "Thanks, but no thanks," mention my religion if they say anything more about it, quietly sit while they pray before a meal, or try to avoid the overtly religious homeschool activities. Respect goes both ways, but there is definitely more of a trend in politics and religion in a place like OK compared to most places in New England, where both vary. 

Welcome, if you end up here!

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#4 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM

I second Norman. I wish we lived there. I live in a small town in Oklahoma. Norman is my sanity saver. From your post, I would not recommend small towns in OK. Here is why.
Small towns here are very very "tea party central" Nuff said
Like you, ours is a mixed family ( I am black woman from Africa, married to a white Okie, we have two daughters). We have already had to deal with racism in school. And my oldest in only in K!
Norman has a wonderful established crunchy community and feel in place. The library is wonderful ( East).
Anyway, if you guys decide on OK, I am sure u will find a good group of people willing to welcome you guys. Just ask.
I am not as crunchy as I would like to be, yet. But i am learning. If one of the communities u are looking for is other mixed families, please PM. My girls are always up for playdates smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page