Brand new to Austin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just moved to Austin from NY, we live in Circle C Ranch neighborhood, I guess that would be south west Austin.I'm looking for pediatrician or family practitioner for my kiddos, somebody who would respect non-vax approach and be more holistic. Also we need to have some friends asap. I have 5 kids ages  5 months to 12 years, any recommendations on how to meet new friends ? I'm open to having playdates in my house or we can meet up in Lady Johnson Wildflower Center which is 2 minutes away from my house or a playground. btw. there is a great yoga place here 'say om ', if anyone wants to meet up for a class that would be awesome :)

mama to Amelie '02, Maya' 04, Oliver'07 and Gavin'09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM

I have a friend who uses Dr. Hebner at Austin Regional Clinic on 1st (at Ben White and 1st) and she said that the doctor is okay with their "elongated shot schedule" but I'm not sure about non-vaxing.  We use Dr. Wheelock at Barton Creek Pediatrics.  She is definitely okay with a delayed schedule and I would be surprised if she wasn't okay with non-vaxing. We have been very happy with Dr. Wheelock and one of her nurse practioners (they are very respectful of AP-style and general crunchiness).  One NP (Emily) has been nice, but we didn't like her or her approach.  Both would be a good start at least.  

Me (27) married to my DH (28) for 8 years.  Happy mama to babygirl.gif born May 2012!  Also,  parents to dog2.gif, chicken3.gif, and a rabbit. 

#3 of 5 Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I have heard great things about dr wheelock. Definitely join the API group on Big Tent, it's active and there are lots of gatherings you can join in on. I think there's a Facebook group as well. And also definitely join the AFCB (Austin family cooperative buyers) group on big tent - lots and lots of co ops happening all the time to buy everything you can imagine (food, shoes, toys, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#4 of 5 Old 06-01-2014, 01:40 PM

The Circle C area has lots of attachment parenting families, from what I can tell! I am in NW Austin, with limited transportation so I don't get south very often. I recommend joining the facebook groups "Austin Crunchy Moms" and "Austin Attachment Parenting" as well as "BWI of Greater Austin Discussion" (babywearers) and "Austin Cloth Diapers" if those are relevant to you.
#5 of 5 Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Just FYI - there's an AP playgroup that has been meeting Monday mornings at 9 at Circle C Park.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page