Mothering Forum banner

Better as a Crunchy Family in Texas? Anywhere else not too cold and affordable?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  elliemae8 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi MDC mamas!

Which parts of Texas would be better for a naturally minded AP family in Texas?

We are musicians but we are conservative Christians who are very much into natural living. We are looking for other cloth diapering/breastfeeding/homeschooling/nonvax/natural living minded people. I have heard that Austin could be a good choice but have heard also that it is very liberal as well so I don't know if we would fit in there or not.

Is our 'tribe' possibly in Texas? Would we be attacked there for our parenting choices or could we find a good community of like-minded people?

Thanks!

#2 ·
It really depends on where you live in Texas. I have lived in South Texas and now live in the DFW metroplex. There are pockets of crunchy people throughout the state. The Rio Grande Valley has less in the way of medical professionals from what I hear. I had a great midwife and pediatrician in the Rockport/Corpus Christi area. Here in the DFW area, we have tons of homeschoolers, midwives, birth centers, cloth diapering groups, babywearing groups, etc. The Pediatricians are more sporadic in location however, but they do exist.

#3 ·
Hi Dentonmidwife! Thank you so much for responding! :grin: I am looking at the Fort Worth area and am trying to choose a place in (or around) Fort Worth, Denton or Austin.

We are singer/songwriters but don't do the bar thing - more like county fairs or coffee shops or studio work, so I wasn't sure about where might fit that best. We cloth diaper and homeschool among other things you mentioned so this is GREAT to know that the DFW area has all that!

I was really leaning more toward the DFW/Metroplex area (specifically Fort Worth because the music is supposed to be a great scene there but unsure) instead of Austin because Austin is more humid and seems more 'bar' oriented, but it does also seem to be extremely 'crunchy' there from what I've read here on MDC. I don't want to feel so out of place like I do in my current area so I am looking for the most affordable, safe, 'crunchy' area for a conservative family I can find - I know, hard to find LOL.

Thank you!

#5 ·
A friend of mine lives in Burleson and said that she is starting to find lots of crunchy moms in the Fort Worth area. I now live outside of Austin, but yes, Austin is very liberal and I went through quite a bit of culture shock when I first moved to the city. Also, Austin is not an affordable place to live. I think you would find what you're looking for in the DFW area!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.