moving to AMARILLO - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-05-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i currently live in Dallas and will be moving to Amarillo within the next couple of months. i am really not crazy about the area but really need to be close to my family, being single and 4 mos pregnant. cool moms, if your out there in the panhandle, let me know!
#2 of 20 Old 09-12-2006, 01:34 AM

Hi, SingleMom! I'm moving back to Canyon after I finish up this semester at ASU. I'll be "living single" for a while though not permanently splits with DH, because I need to go back to work and it's actually cheaper for me to move out there and get a job near my mom than to stay here and get a job and rely on pricey child care. We estimated that the difference in cost of utilities plus childcare here would actually be less than rent and utilities out there!

I really want to network with other cool AP/NFL mamas in the Canyon/Amarillo area, though. My mainstream friends and sisters and sisters' friends might drive me nutzo otherwise!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 20 Old 09-12-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, Ravin! I am so glad to know I won't be alone! I am from Canyon, as well. I went to CJH and CHS. I then moved to Denton where I received my degree in Psychology/Women's Studies from UNT. I am thinking about attending WT to finish my Masters. Life is much less expensive in the Canyon/Amarillo area. I think finishing school will be easier there with free childcare and the lower cost of living.
#4 of 20 Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM

Singlemom, are you in Amarillo now?

I delayed my move to get my car in working order, but I'm coming out there for at least the summer. I would love to get in touch with you (AND ANY OTHER MDC MAMAS IN THE AREA) IRL while I'm out there.

What year did you graduate from CHS? I graduated in 95 then joined the Navy.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#5 of 20 Old 05-29-2007, 06:05 PM

It's great to see some other MDC mamas in the area. I actually live in Dumas, but I work in Canyon. When are you arriving?
#6 of 20 Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 PM

So excited! I have been searching and searching for Amarillo/ Canyon mommies! Where is everyone, where do you work/go to school/ whatever? Anyone interested in a playgroup? I have tried a few in the past, but everyone around here is verymuch NOT AP, so I stoped going. How do you like it here so far for you newcommers? I have lived in Amarillo since I was three years old, and my husband comes from Canyon. Anyone need any advice or tips on local things, I probably know where it is! Hope to get to know everyone soon!
#7 of 20 Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 PM

I live in Lubbock now but I am from Amarillo.
#8 of 20 Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 PM

I just left my husband and moved back to Amarillo to live with family. I am going to start school at AC (Associates in Nursing) as soon as I can. I have 18-month-old twin girls that are still nursing and co-sleeping with me. I am dying to meet cool AP mamas! Esp. any single mamas, as I am going to have to learn to deal with being one, too. I was a stay-at-home mom for the last 18 months, and I loved it, although I was very isolated in alot of ways.

I moved to Amariilo when I was 15, and graduated from Highland Park H.S.
('92) here. I lived in the Amarillo/Canyon area, went to WT, etc,. for 10 years, then got married and moved to another part of west Texas. And here I am again...I am actually glad to be back. I know Amarillo is not that cool, but it's cooler than where I was living in alot of ways, and this is where my friends and family are, so it's home to me.

I CANNOT wait to meet you guys! PLease, let's set up a play date
#9 of 20 Old 07-24-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

wow! i haven't been on hear since before the birth of my son! i am thrilled there are some like minded mommas out there! i would love to start a play group. let's do it!
#10 of 20 Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 PM

I live near amarillo! Right now about 42 miles northeast.

I was raised in Canyon most of my life. I went to CJH from about 6th grade to mid 8th grade. Then I moved schools. But came back in 9th grade and dropped out of school in the middle of 11th grade. I would have graduated in 1999. We just might know each other!

Jamie
#11 of 20 Old 10-07-2007, 01:16 AM

My husband's considering a job in Amarillo. We don't know anyone there. Most of our family is in DFW. We homeschool and I'm wondering if there are many homeschoolers there. Are there many activities that are family friendly there? What's the "culture" there like? My brother lived at Cal Farley's for a few years, and all I know is that there are a lot of country folks and rodeoing (is that a word?).

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#12 of 20 Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Reading,
On the whole the Panhandle is very much "live and let live"---if people think crunchiness is weird they usually at least mind their own business. There is a lot of rodeo, as you put it. Lots of wide open space and people who own livestock, etc.

If you are a Christian homeschooler or don't mind a very religious slant to homeschooling groups you should fit right in. There aren't many secular HSing moms out this way. BTW, I'm not in Amarillo but grew up in this area. It's a very "family values" kind of culture. Generally speaking, it's extremely safe, everyone knows everyone else, and it's a pretty safe place to raise kids. Not to say it's Utopia...everybody has problems, but you don't see the same kinds of crime as in the big cities, at least not as often.

For example, last year the front page of our local paper was that there was a food fight in the high school cafeteria. For real.

Welcome to West Texas!
#13 of 20 Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 AM

We are Christians (Catholic), and we belong to a Christian homeschool group where we live now. I'm comfortable there because it's a pretty laid back, non-denominational Christian group. I would have a harder time in a strict fundamentalist group. (Alot of Protestants don't think Catholics are Christians!

What about family friendly activities in Amarillo? The only thing I remember about visiting the Amarillo area was going to Palo Duro Canyon.

What about the weather? My mom says it's REALLY hot in the summer and REALLY cold in the winter.

Thanks!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#14 of 20 Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM

I'm so excited to hear there are other mamas like me!! I just arrived a couple weeks ago. My husband is deployed to Iraq, so I feel like a single mom. I'm staying with my in-laws. That is why I moved here, for their help with my two baby girls, 17 months and 2 months.

SingleMom, I'm from Denton, lived there for 25 years and met my husband at UNT where we graduated. He then joined the Army (long story and we can't wait to get out) and we haven't lived in Texas since. I moved here from Alaska where we are stationed right now. But when he returns from Iraq we plan on making this area our home. This is where he grew up. We want to farm and raise our babies on some land near here.

Oh, I'd really love a playgroup!! I am lonely right now as I don't know anyone else. The friends of my family and my sister-in-laws friends don't really have anything in common with me.... Can't wait for a playgroup!

mindy
#15 of 20 Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 AM

Reading,
Your mom's right about the weather. And Palo Duro Canyon is a fun place to go....they've recently added a whole new section to the park, which is supposedly the most scenic. Up until recently it was all private property (this new section), but I guess someone left it to the state park system.

I don't know much about activities in Amarillo, but I've seen the park area around the Amarillo College campus...very pretty and in an historic area. It looked mom-friendly.

Try the LLL meetings and/or MOMS (Moms Offering Moms Support) or MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers; church-affiliated moms group) meetings.
#16 of 20 Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 AM

for an easy outing with kids, try the wildcat bluff nature center in amarillo. it is really neat! lots of opportunities for learning-esp charlotte mason approahces. when you don't want ot spend a long time driving to and at P. D>
and the Divsocvery Center is great. My 2 yr old has the best time there. I know they are renovating it too.
I am from Canyon, now living in DFW area. But we love to come home and visit. I love what the previous poster said about "live and let live" I always feel comfortable when we visit-it doesnt' feel like everyone is looking for clues for where to pigeon hole you in terms of parenting style or cultural niche or political choices.
A very different feeling from these suburbs! in a good way.
If you all organize a playgroup or something, we'd love to join you for a park day when we visit-4-5 times per year. I know my child gets lonely just beign with me the entire visit!!
#17 of 20 Old 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM

Hello all! New to these forums. I live in Amarillo. I have two big kids and a 6 month old. I'd love to get to know everyone.

And we've had lots of fun going to the children's musicals at the Amarillo Repertory Theater on the weekends. They aren't too long and they are fun.
#18 of 20 Old 12-09-2007, 01:50 PM

Giving us a bump

We need to get together, mamas!
#19 of 20 Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Another bump. I just moved back to Amarillo as well. My husband and I are going through a separation (he lives in Lubbock) and I desperately need some company. I am trying to handle being a single mama as best I can but I am so scared at the same time. Ds will be 4 in a couple months and dd will be 3 months in a couple of days.
#20 of 20 Old 08-26-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

i lost track of this thread. look what i have been missing! how is everybody? let's get this playgroup going...i live in the bivins area. where is everybody else? i work during the week, so weekends are better for me. feedback please! this single mom is lonely and my toddler needs to spend some energy!!!:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page