Houston Peds. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay- let's talk Houston are pediatricians once more. Since I'm having a new babe I'll at least consider interviewing some this time around.

I know of Krenie Stowe. I would say she's the most alt-friendly around. Where is her office these days? Does she take insurance? Does she have a procedure if (god forbid) your child is hospitalized? (last I heard she didn't have privileges anywhere)

I'm near northwest and honestly don't want to drive *that* far. I'd be willing to go in towards the med. center or west U/Bellaire. I'd be willing to go North, West, or Northwest as far as the beltway or so. I don't realistically see myself going to Sugarland or Clear Lake or the like.

I haven't done ANY WBV with dd and haven't missed them. Don't really want to do them. Might like someone I can touch base with now and then if I feel the need.

We do not currently vaccinate and I will not sign the standard waiver without altering it.

If it's a boy I will not circ. and I will not tolerate ignorance about an intact penis.

I don't mind listening to a one time opinion piece on vaccinations, but if they insist on harassing me it's not going to be pretty

I expect breastfeeding supportive and knowledgeable. Dd is 3.5 and yes, I'm still nursing with no end in sight. I expect to tandem.

So, sell me!

Who's wonderful?

Why?

-Angela
#2 of 47 Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM

We see Dr Farrior of Humble Pediatrics in Atascocita. It might still be little far for you. He is very BF friendly, infact congratulated me for EPing for 2 years. And encouraged me to continue to try BFing the little one which i'm doing now, (btw he is 26months now). We did selective vaxing and everytime we postpone a vax he said he has to inform us due to the policy and so told us about the vax in brief. He was ok about my DS not talking according to the stds eventhough i was worried. But his reasonings calmed me down.

He was knowledgable about the intact penis until 2yrs, BUT at the 2yr check up he asked us to slightly pull back the foreskin (i just nodded). So i guess he may not suite your needs. And i'm not sure abt WB checkups. We did all of them.
And oh! he has a 32 month old boy.
#3 of 47 Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, doesn't sound like a good match. No way I'm driving that far for someone who thinks you need to retract a 2yr old

-Angela
#4 of 47 Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 PM

You can PM me for ideas.
#5 of 47 Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
You can PM me for ideas.
Not posting any suggestions these days... can't blame you

will try to pm in a few days when I can ponder and think on it

-Angela
#6 of 47 Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 PM

I would have thought my first post would have showed up in your email box? But, no, I think it's better if I don't say in public. Sufficed to say, I've seen everyone, and I know who I do and don't trust with my (medically complicated) kids.
#7 of 47 Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would have thought my first post would have showed up in your email box? But, no, I think it's better if I don't say in public. Sufficed to say, I've seen everyone, and I know who I do and don't trust with my (medically complicated) kids.
I don't get email notification... sorry!

Will pm you

-Angela
#8 of 47 Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Ah, ok.

Whenever. I'm around.
#9 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

anyone else with input? Someone you love? someone you hate? Someone who lives across the street with you and mows their yard in a speedo?

-Angela
#10 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 PM

We like Dr. Hogan with the TX Children's Group. So far he's been on board with the no retracting of foreskin and didn't blink when I said we might delay or not vax. In the end we chose to "selectively" vax which will probably end up following the suggestions by Dr. Sears so I don't know how he would've reacted to no vax.

When I had problems est my supply (at Day 4 visit) he gave us numbers to LLL and Women's Hospital LCs, etc. He did not push formula but did ask us to get a scale and weigh him before/after each feed then return if he did not start gaining weight within 2 weeks. When DS was showing signs of reflux he never mentioned formula or cereal in the bottle (one of the other docs in the practice did though) and was not gung-ho about starting meds.

If you have any Qs, ask away. HTH.
#11 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcres View Post
We see Dr Farrior of Humble Pediatrics in Atascocita. It might still be little far for you. He is very BF friendly, infact congratulated me for EPing for 2 years. And encouraged me to continue to try BFing the little one which i'm doing now, (btw he is 26months now). We did selective vaxing and everytime we postpone a vax he said he has to inform us due to the policy and so told us about the vax in brief. He was ok about my DS not talking according to the stds eventhough i was worried. But his reasonings calmed me down.

He was knowledgable about the intact penis until 2yrs, BUT at the 2yr check up he asked us to slightly pull back the foreskin (i just nodded). So i guess he may not suite your needs. And i'm not sure abt WB checkups. We did all of them.
And oh! he has a 32 month old boy.
Is that the Humble Pediatrics on Timbergrove (right by Kids R Kids)?

I see Dr. Harper at that Humble Pediatrics and he is similar to Farrior, it sounds like.

Except, Alegna, you wouldn't like him. I'm posting here for anyone who sees this and NEEDS a pedi and wants one who isn't TOO obnoxious!

If I tell him not to retract ds' foreskin, he won't. But if I don't say anything, he will. :

He ALWAYS asks me if ds is getting fluoridated water, and I simply say yes, rather than get a lecture.

He is cool with us NOT vaxxing, although he always tries to convince us to.

He doesn't like that ds co-sleeps, so I downplay that.

Basically, I need a pedi because ds is in daycare, and they usually require doc visits. So, I only needed one who wouldn't kick us out if we chose to NOT vax.
#12 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't have the energy for someone I have to argue with or educate at *every* visit.

I need someone well educated and not ignorant. Sigh. Such high standards

-Angela
#13 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM

Who mows their lawn wearing a speedo?

Clearly they forgot to go to the CMEs on home and workplace safety.
#14 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Who mows their lawn wearing a speedo?

Clearly they forgot to go to the CMEs on home and workplace safety.
Beats me, but if you live across the street from a ped. who does, I wanna know about it!

What I don't know is if I would avoid them, or go interview them to see how crazy they really are....

-Angela
#15 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM

My little guy sees Dr. Stowe. So far so good. She is very open minded about vaccination and if I remember correctly she said her son nursed until he was 6. I think she's a good mix of traditional and the alternative. She listens to us as parents instead of giving us the usual standard lectures and treating us like morons because we're not doctors. Our guy is intact and no problems there. We were with a group affiliated with Texas Childrens. I get the feeling if you have a very sick child they'd be good but for the mild, but chronic allergy stuff my guy has they didn't seem to want to help. 'Babies get sick, especially daycare ones' was their answer to everything.

Honestly I don't know about the hospital thing. I guess I will ask her next time we take the wee man in.

She is across the freeway from MH The Woodlands. That office takes insurance. They're v. friendly and easy to make an appt with and the wait times aren't too bad.
#16 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
She is across the freeway from MH The Woodlands. That office takes insurance. They're v. friendly and easy to make an appt with and the wait times aren't too bad.
Yeah, see, her woodlands location would be a LONG drive for us. But then again, maybe we'd never go in anyway...

And her other location they don't do insurance, though I could always get reimbursed.... hhmmm....

-Angela
#17 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Yeah, see, her woodlands location would be a LONG drive for us. But then again, maybe we'd never go in anyway...

And her other location they don't do insurance, though I could always get reimbursed.... hhmmm....

-Angela
It's true about the drive although with the Hardy you'd fly up. If you never need to see her it wouldn't matter though. But if get a wee one like mine with allergies and a touch of asthma it's nice to have a ped who doesn't try to force flu shots and other vax on you and have you constantly on the guard worrying about them messing with the foreskin.

Oh and she is sooooooo good with babies. She knows how to look into their ears without making them scream, quite the gift I think.
#18 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh and she is sooooooo good with babies. She knows how to look into their ears without making them scream, quite the gift I think.
That's good to know. I've actually heard little of her actual skills with kids. Thanks for sharing

-Angela
#19 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM

TCHPA is hit or miss for chronically ill kids. In fact, it's hit or miss for all kids. Depends on the practice and the doctor and who backs him/her up.

I won't say one or the other about what doctors etc in public anymore. But.

I've mentioned before:
*Doctor who rounds for themselves
*Doctor in private practice, not GIANT mega TCPA practices preferred with a few exceptions
*Doctors who take call themselves, preferably not through a nurse-service
*Doctors with priviledges at all major hospitals in town (no priviledges revoked anywhere unless you know from a 3rd party the reason and are ok)
*Doctors with 25+ years of experience

These are the kinds of things helpful IME if you actually have the NEED for a doctor with hospital priviledges.

I can vaguely try to expand if necessary.
#20 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 PM

Krenie really believes parents know what's best for their children. She does not have a well-baby schedule. She is conservative about all medications for children. Her clients run the gamut from non vax to full.

A 15 minute consult is $50; a 30-minute is $90. This is a bargain, to my way of thinking. As you say, part of it will be reimbursed, and you get time to pick the doc's brain! She said a lot of folks write a list of questions and then bring them to her and ask them all at the consult. She also does house calls, starting at $150 for the first half-hour, which you wouldn't want to do all the time, but how nice to have the option!

I've heard her speak two different times; blessedly I have not needed a pediatrician since I've heard her speak, but I am really pondering switching to her. I do like my current ped, but don't like going to the assembly-line style office visits and a bunch of sick kids going to see the ten docs in the practice!

Her website is http://www.healthedadlit.com/index.html.
#21 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I saw she did house calls.

Anyone know of any other peds in town who do house calls? I plan to homebirth, so if they want to see a newborn, it's going to be in my house

-Angela
#22 of 47 Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 PM

There is at least two other doctors who say they will do home visits.

According to one midwife in town, most TX midwives do a more thorough exam of the newborn than most pediatricians.
#23 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
According to one midwife in town, most TX midwives do a more thorough exam of the newborn than most pediatricians.
Yeah... needless to say *I* don't feel the need to have a dr. look at a healthy newborn...

But I'm not hauling mine into a germy office to make a ped. happy either

-Angela
#24 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Yeah... needless to say *I* don't feel the need to have a dr. look at a healthy newborn...

But I'm not hauling mine into a germy office to make a ped. happy either

-Angela
Germy offices are a real issue for me too! I was with DD when she took her 2 yo son to Dr. Stowe in November and it was full of very sick adults. I got sick myself a few days later

Dr. Stowe mentioned that when she comes in with her newborn to let the front desk know she wants to be in the back. She brought the little guy in at 2 weeks and DD told the front desk but they ignored her. She did get in much quicker though. (maybe germs can't get in the back? )

I really liked Dr. Stowe, she takes a lot of time with you and was very good with my 2yo grandson...he hates anyone with a white coat since he was hospitalized a year ago...but she made him smile and giggle even though he was sick. That is a major accomplishment.

We had a great conversation about circ...she is absolutely against it.

Vax...she wants parents to be informed...mentioned that most are totally unnecessary, (She seems concerned with whooping cough) but no pressure. Very pro breastfeeding, in fact, she mentioned that if you do extended bf it keeps the risk down and that is what she wants to see if you decide not to vax.

Bottom line...the office leaves a lot to be desired...the doctor is great. JMHO

BTW-she gave DD a card with her cell phone number and you can call her directly anytime, day or night and she answers it herself. And she does housecalls for $150, cash.
#25 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
She's the one with two offices, right? Which one did you go to? I'm almost new to town (in a couple weeks) and need to choose healthcare providers for us.
#26 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannysbaby View Post

BTW-she gave DD a card with her cell phone number and you can call her directly anytime, day or night and she answers it herself. And she does housecalls for $150, cash.
Yes the office is not fancy at all. And the clientele is very diverse, very different from the reputation The Woodlands has. There are also regular GPs in the office, hence the sick adults. But I would rather that than the fancy office we went to before where we spent an hour waiting to see the doctor for three minutes.

She also answers emails.
#27 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannysbaby View Post
Germy offices are a real issue for me too! I was with DD when she took her 2 yo son to Dr. Stowe in November and it was full of very sick adults. I got sick myself a few days later

Dr. Stowe mentioned that when she comes in with her newborn to let the front desk know she wants to be in the back. She brought the little guy in at 2 weeks and DD told the front desk but they ignored her. She did get in much quicker though. (maybe germs can't get in the back? )

I really liked Dr. Stowe, she takes a lot of time with you and was very good with my 2yo grandson...he hates anyone with a white coat since he was hospitalized a year ago...but she made him smile and giggle even though he was sick. That is a major accomplishment.

We had a great conversation about circ...she is absolutely against it.

Vax...she wants parents to be informed...mentioned that most are totally unnecessary, (She seems concerned with whooping cough) but no pressure. Very pro breastfeeding, in fact, she mentioned that if you do extended bf it keeps the risk down and that is what she wants to see if you decide not to vax.

Good info. The office you've been to- the Woodlands one? Or the close-in one?

Honestly if we use her it will mostly be to just have a name. I don't really foresee needing a ped day to day.

-Angela
#28 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes the office is not fancy at all. And the clientele is very diverse, very different from the reputation The Woodlands has. There are also regular GPs in the office, hence the sick adults. But I would rather that than the fancy office we went to before where we spent an hour waiting to see the doctor for three minutes.

She also answers emails.
So you've been to her close-in office? (gathering gathering gathering info )

Does she charge to answer emails?

-Angela
#29 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 PM

The problem is, if she doesn't have priviledges, it's useless if you actually need a ped. If you don't, it's great to have someone who seems to agree with you.

I guess I've become jaded. I no longer care if someone agrees with me, but I do care if THEY care that I don't agree with them. THAT affects care. Not agreeing with me usually doesn't.
#30 of 47 Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The problem is, if she doesn't have priviledges, it's useless if you actually need a ped. If you don't, it's great to have someone who seems to agree with you.
Well for the average ped and average baby, privileges aren't really needed.

And if they're needed, I probably want them at TX Childrens anyway.

And I'm not thrilled with any of the TX Childrens choices.

AND, my understanding is that the group she works with in the Woodlands will cover her patients if need-be in the hospital.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page