Delayed/selective Vax friendly Ped in N.Austin / Cedar Park - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I have a son due in August and I recently began my quest for a pediatrician in the north Austin & Cedar Park area. I have yet to find one that is okay with selective or delayed vaccines.
Dr. Eady is already on my list. Does she do meet & greets?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#2 of 31 Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

subscribing

#3 of 31 Old 07-14-2008, 11:42 PM

My husband saw Dr. Eady when our insuance changed, I was pleased that she didn't try to get him to take a prescription and recommended a mild OTC drug. Her office is not the most glamorous was dh's only complaint. I plan on switching dd to her if my current ped gets to pushy with me.

I was a little late to the selective/delayed vax party and didn't even ask those questions when I interviewed peds. What I have found with ours is that I just say- "Not today' or 'Just the one'. I don't discuss my views to much and I try to be respectful during their speech. from what I can tell there really are no mainstream peds/drs. in Austin that are going be empathetic or understanding. not to mention supportive of your decision, I feel lucky to have one that is not shaming or rude to me.

The good news is that it is super easy to get the exemption for daycares/ school etc. It took about 5 min. to fill out and fax and I had it in about 4 days. Pd to have it notarized and I was done. PM me if you'd like my peds. name and my insight on him. Good Luck!
r
#4 of 31 Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM

Georgetown may be a little far (especially if you're coming from Austin), but Dr. Ramsey is a delayed/no vax friendly pediatrician. We've seen him and Dr. Pickens (in his practice) and liked both of them. They subscribe to the "this is YOUR child" philosophy of medicine!
#5 of 31 Old 07-16-2008, 02:12 AM

If you are interested in going a little bit south, Dr. Hudson at Bee Cave Pediatrics is great. He's been practicing in Austin for about 25 years and is very flexible with vaxs schedule and open to you making the decision. My DS is 12 yrs. old and has been going there since birth and has only had the tetanus vax without any questioning from the Dr. or nurses there. Hope this helps!
#6 of 31 Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to call and set up a visit with Dr. Eady. Unfortunately georgetown & bee caves area are quite a bit far from my house.
I'm still open to more suggestions. I didn't realize this search was going to be so difficult.

#7 of 31 Old 07-17-2008, 12:23 PM

I’m subbing to this one. We are not far from you, Cedar Park to be exact. We moved from San Antonio about 5 years ago where we used to see Diane McMains (miss her so much).

Anyway, we’ve been going to North Austin Pediatrics & Adolescents and although they have been tolerable, we are no longer happy there. At dd's last visit the dr mention vaxes, gardasil and the Saturday vax clinic about 5 times. I was so fed up by the time I left, swore we were never going back. What was really upsetting is that we were there because I noticed a bump on dd’s back, which ended up being scoliosis and all she could talk about was the Saturday clinic. ugh.
#8 of 31 Old 07-24-2008, 04:31 PM

We see Dr. Urrea in Cedar Park. She's a family doctor.

I haven't seen her enough to really give a full evaluation, but when we filled out the paperwork, there was a box you could check if you didn't want to immunize. The first time we went I said we didn't want any and it wasn't a big deal at all.

It's a narcotic-free office, so that's good.

Like I said, we haven't been very much, but she is pretty laid-back, compared to our old ped in Houston. He was very thorough, but perhaps a bit of an alarmist as well.

So if you want a dr. who lets you do your own thing, she might be a good pick.
#9 of 31 Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

We met with Dr. Eady the other day. She was really nice and easy to talk to and ask questions. She seemed more than willing to work with us on a selective vax schedule. I'll probably see her myself as well since I don't have a PCP, just an ob-gyn.

#10 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie and started researching this very thing. Where is Dr. Eady located? I'm in G-town but work in N. Austin so am open to other locations. Thanks!
#11 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

She's located near 620 & 45, not too far from Parmer lane.

#12 of 31 Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 PM

nak ditto Urrea in Cedar Park!
#13 of 31 Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
nak ditto Urrea in Cedar Park!
Thirding Dr. Urrea. She and her NP, Angel, are fab.

www.urreamd.com
#14 of 31 Old 08-12-2008, 03:44 PM

UPDATE:
I'm leaving Dr. Kangos' practice. Although he's ok with selective vaxing, DH and I are not happy for several reasons. We're going to Schoolhouse Pediatrics.

Dr. Peter Kangos is great and very convenient to Cedar Park and Northwest Austin. I had a consultation with him last month and have no hesitation about using him as our new arrival's pediatrician. He is a breastfeeding expert and recommends extended breastfeeding and was the only pediatrician I could find who does not push vax. He told me that he fully supports parents who choose not to vaccinate at all or who want to create a delayed schedule. He is the only doctor in the practice and his wife is his primary nurse (she is also wonderful). I noticed that a PP recommend a doctor at Bee Cave Pediatrics. I had an interview there also, but had a bad experience. While the doctor was open to delayed vaccinations (she mentioned Dr. Sears' schedule), she still talked up certain vax like DTaP. I would definitely set up a meeting at Kangos Pediatrics.
#15 of 31 Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krgmom View Post
If you are interested in going a little bit south, Dr. Hudson at Bee Cave Pediatrics is great. He's been practicing in Austin for about 25 years and is very flexible with vaxs schedule and open to you making the decision. My DS is 12 yrs. old and has been going there since birth and has only had the tetanus vax without any questioning from the Dr. or nurses there. Hope this helps!
We did not like Dr. Hudson -- he always gave us a hand on the doorknob feeling and his staff was almost rude. I have heard that the staff managing his office changed and that there has been considerable improvement, but I don't know because we left.
#16 of 31 Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
We did not like Dr. Hudson -- he always gave us a hand on the doorknob feeling and his staff was almost rude. I have heard that the staff managing his office changed and that there has been considerable improvement, but I don't know because we left.
While there has been some improvement with the staff, we still have the "hand on the doorknob" experience. Our last well check in July for my 2 year old DD...he was barely in the room long enough to do anything and he ran out of the room then into another before addressing all of our questions. IMO they are also pushing the vax issue way harder then they used to. This last time we were pushed by Dr. Hudson to give the MMR and chicken pox vaxes with a vigor I have not seen from him. He let it go when I flat out refused to do more than the second shot for a different series we were doing.

I've also had problems with 2 of the other doctors on their staff. One called me an outright liar when I expressed concerns over DD's reaction to some vaxes and another gave misinformation about the Hep A vaxes being required for schools in Travis county. :

Personally, we're shopping for a new pediatrician.
#17 of 31 Old 08-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have heard that a number of pediatric practices in the Austin area are pushing the vax issue way harder than before. One pediatrician, beloved by many AP moms, started firing patients because the parents refused vax. So -- I really don't know what is going on.
#18 of 31 Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM

We saw Dr. Kelly Thorstad at Lonestar Pediatrics in N.Austin, west side of MoPac, across form NAMC. Her nurse practitioner was our FAVORITE! We were never pressured to do anything we questioned and we able to sdjust her vaccination schedule with no problem. I also appreciated that they were so conservative about antibiotic use and very pro breastfeeding (at least for the 1.5 years we were there). Oh, and they also used to have parent nights for meeting new parents who were considering their practice, but again, this was before my daughter was born - she is now almost 4.

We switched to Dr. Deborah Bryant after our insurance changed. She is at Austin Regional Clinic North Hills on Research and Braker. She was also great- conservative with medicines, attentive, thoughtful, allowed us to set the vaccination schedule, but our daughter was 1.5 yo when we switched to her so we had been through a lot of the delays at that point and were slowly catching up. She also never recommended the flu vaccine and said, in fact, that she did not get it. She has twin girls in high school and lots of experience. Also, she tries to see her own patients, even if that means staying late sometimes for an ear check (we made a return trip to recheck some clogged ears to see if there was a change before starting antibiotics and avoided them).

I know that others will have more input, but I wanted to share our experience. I hope that helps. Good Luck!!!
#19 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM

I just called Lonestar Pediatrics and asked my question: "I am looking for a doctor who is friendly to delayed vaccination or no vaccination. My son is not vaccinated." The gentleman on the phone was very kind, but after putting me on hold to check, informed me that Dr. Thorstad will not accept new patients that are not vaccinated. He did say that she could be willing to work with patients who have filed exemptions for religious reasons. I'm homeschooling and have not filed an exemption, besides my son is only three and 1/2. A nurse there talked to me and suggested that I try Austin Regional Clinci and said that most pediatric practices are not accepting patients that are not vaccinated.

I would like to start a long term relationship with a pediatrician in Austin. My son was born at home, not circumcised, breastfed till almost three and has never needed to go to the doctor. Now I think he might have a UTI, no fever, just tummy ache, occassional vomitting and a paniced response when his bladder is full and he has to use the potty. He doesn't complain of pain when he actually voids though.

Any suggestions?
#20 of 31 Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I had gone to the Lonestar Ped open house and crossed them off the list pretty quickly because they seemed inflexible with respect to selective vaxing. We've been seeing Dr. Eady for awhile now (I go there too) and we really like her.

#21 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 PM

We go to Bee Caves pediatrics (note they are NOT in Bee Caves but right by Barton Creek Mall).

We have seen Dr. Hudson, Dr. Parr and Dr. Norton. Norton is my fave. I have gotten the vax talk from the other ped's but I feel like they are trying to cover thier butts with vax refusal and I had to initial the chart where we refused. Fine with me. I want a ped and I am happy that they will see us. I should probably switch to family practice soon but I do not have a doc for me.

We came from CA and used to go to Dr. Sears where they asked one time and that was it. None of my kids are vaxed. 6 years, 3 years and 9 months.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#22 of 31 Old 05-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Just a note that Dr. Eady is now firing people who don't vax.
#23 of 31 Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Well, everyone can mark Treehouse Pediatrics off the list. They are closed to new patients (mostly) unless you are willing to be interviewed. I mentioned a delayed vaccination schedule in my call and was not allowed in the practice because they are a "pro vaccination practice that follows the schedule and while they do work with some parents on a delayed schedule, they do so on a VERY limited basis". ie. They don't want patients who don't want to vaccinate and definitely don't want a reputation as a practice that is non-vaccine friendly. 

#24 of 31 Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 AM

We see Dr. Travis at Treehouse.  He's not my favorite, but he does let us do selective/delayed vaxing.  He doesn't give us a hard time about it nor does anyone at Treehouse.  We did an interview when I was pregnant.  It may be worth giving them a call if you need another option.  Caveat, the nurse practitioners and Dr. Travis will tell you to cry it out for every parenting issue you have, but I just ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarijnOrange View Post

Well, everyone can mark Treehouse Pediatrics off the list. They are closed to new patients (mostly) unless you are willing to be interviewed. I mentioned a delayed vaccination schedule in my call and was not allowed in the practice because they are a "pro vaccination practice that follows the schedule and while they do work with some parents on a delayed schedule, they do so on a VERY limited basis". ie. They don't want patients who don't want to vaccinate and definitely don't want a reputation as a practice that is non-vaccine friendly. 

#25 of 31 Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maptome View Post

We see Dr. Travis at Treehouse.  He's not my favorite, but he does let us do selective/delayed vaxing.  He doesn't give us a hard time about it nor does anyone at Treehouse.  We did an interview when I was pregnant.  It may be worth giving them a call if you need another option.  Caveat, the nurse practitioners and Dr. Travis will tell you to cry it out for every parenting issue you have, but I just ignore them.

See, that's the thing. I've been trying to find a ped that was okay with delayed vaxing which is why I called Treehouse in the first place. I didn't even intend to mention vaxing at all when they called me back to setup an interview between me and the Dr. I requested, but they asked me directly who we saw now and why we were leaving and it just didn't occur to me to make something else up. I told them we didn't vax and our pediatrician was adamant that we get certain vaxes or we could not remain in her practice. That was when she launched into this whole schpeal about the entire practice being pro-vax. To which my response was that, I, as the parent can still refuse right? They said yes, but she again, emphasized the stance on being pro-vax. I said (and this is true as well) that I don't have a problem with being offered vaccinations or them being discussed. I just don't want to be pressured to get them when it's ultimately my decision to make. 

She consulted with the Dr. and called me back the next day and told me that he decided we would not be a good fit with their practice and that I should find someone who is more open to delayed/selective vax'ing. To which I responded that I would if I could. 

People I've talked to think that the state or the AAP or the medical board or somebody is threatening doctors with their medical licenses if they don't comply with the vaccination schedule. It's a smart way of getting around the whole parents have rights issue... parents will always have the right to refuse, but doctors on the other hand can have their license revoked. It puts parents like me into a very difficult situation. Honestly, I feel like I'm being forced to choose between vaccinating my kids or getting them substandard care in other areas. 

If you haven't contacted Treehouse previously, by all means, go for it... just don't mention the V word.

#26 of 31 Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM

We see Dr. Hutchens at Cedar Park Pediatric & Family Medicine.  We were with Dr. Hutchens previously at Schoolhouse Pediatrics, and we both ended up moving to Cedar Park at the same time.  We've always done selective/delayed vaxes and Dr. Hutchens has always been respectful about it.  At our last appointment I specifically asked if they would take non-vaxing patients, and she said that while they aren't trying to advertise it or anything, they will take them, although other doctors in the practice feel more strongly about vaxing than she does.  However--our last appointment was in June, so I don't know if any policies have changed since then.

#27 of 31 Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 AM

We go to ARC Discovery in Cedar Park. We haven't been going for long (we had been at ARC Cedar Park and had seen the same family doc since our oldest was born in '02--miss him so much since he retired!). Anyway, we selectively vax and also delay vaccines. Dr. Rice at ARC Discovery was completely fine with that. She said she understood why parents did that and it does make sense to her especially in situations like ours (no daycare situations, breastfeeding until past age 1). So, so far so good.

Wendy  Wife to my sweet husband, homeschooling mom to 4 little girls and a new blessing due in November! chicken3.gif
#28 of 31 Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM

I'd love any updated answers to this question.  We recently moved from Austin to Georgetown.  We have been driving back to see Dr. Wheelock in Austin (love her, but it's an hour without traffic with young kids in the car!)  We would love any new feeback on Dr. Pickens in GT, Dr. Hutchens in Cedar Park, Dr. Chang or Dr. Travis at Treehouse in Round Rock, or anyone else that has been found helpful with selective vaccinations.  Our older daughter has sensory processing, so I'd like to see a pediatrician (not a family Dr.)  Thanks!

#29 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Dr. Hutchens is no longer carrying patients--she's just working on a fill-in basis when needed.  The practice will still accept patients who selectively vax (although not if they don't vax at all), but I didn't feel like the rest of the practice was a good fit so we switched to Dr. Eady.  She is a family practice doctor, but my kids love her.  We do selectively vax, and the options for families who don't vaccinate at all in this area are dwindling.

#30 of 31 Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM

We've been with Dr. Travis since October of 09 when my first son was born.  When we interviewed him he seemed very open to selective vax, which is what we have done now with both sons.  However, at the last two appointments the nurse has had me sign a paper that I was offered the vax and refused, blahblah.  So I am also thinking they are getting some sort of pressure from higher up.  Totally agreed with previous poster that I don't care for their "parenting" advice - have also been told to cry it out, when I had bf'ing issues with my older son was told to give formula, etc.  I have also been considering looking for someone who *supports* our lifestyle, not just grudgingly accepts it, but our well visits are short and sweet and get the job done for now.  I've never been given any flack over cloth diapers, not circ'ing, or when my oldest was still nursing at 2.5  And I am just too lazy and too busy to look for someone new.

I have heard good things about Dr. Gabriel Millar being more of an AP-friendly ped.  One of my friends quit his practice because he refused to give her a flu shot when she was pregnant and she really wanted one, so could be worth looking into.  I believe he's off Wyoming Springs. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page