Anybody in Allen Tx or surrounding areas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning on moving to Allen around April, and I have a few questions!

Is there a good non-vax friendly pediatrician or family doctor in the area?

Is there a raw milk source anywhere near?

Is there any specific neighborhood (in Allen) that we should not move into?

Any other things that you want to share about the area would be greatly appreciated! Likes, dislikes, activites, whatever!

Thanks. :

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#2 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 AM

Not in Allen, but thought I'd say hello.

Are you on any of the area yahoo groups? DFWHolistic Parents group might be a great place to start to gather the info you're needing.
#3 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Banned

Amy, you are holding back on me. What is this about DFW Holistic Parents?

There is also a yahoo group, AP Dallas Moms. There is a no-vax friendly DO in Plano, dunno about Allen. I am in Richardson which is a short hop (for Texas) from Allen and I know there are a few moms in Allen/Plano.

The Plano farmer's market is only open 1/2 the year but one of the farms (Rehoboth Farm) sells there. They might have raw milk - they definitely have a website.

Welcome!
#4 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks lonestarmommy, I will have to sign up for that group!

lalaland- Plano is so close to Allen that having a doctor there would be no problem at all! I'd even go further if I had to. Do you know the name of him/her?

I looked at the Farm's website and they have some really great prices on their meats! But they only sell goat's milk which is so much more expensive. I've searched on realmilk.com and haven't seen anything near the area that isn't goat's milk. You would think there would be *some place* that has cow's milk.

Thanks for the info!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#5 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM

Hi! I'm not from Allen myself, but I've been doing research on a stuff lately for peds, obs, midwives, etc.
While doing that I ran across a reference to Daniel J. Chartrand, MD at Harmony Family Health. I haven't talked to him, nor do I know him or his staff. But it looks like a promising lead for you.

http://www.harmonyfamilyhealth.com/

As for where to live, there are several nice neighborhoods in Allen. Most of them are newer, since Allen is a growing town. But they have also taken care to try to keep a downtown, which is nice.

Welcome!
#6 of 13 Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I did find that site from another thread and it looks like it would be an amazing place to go! But unforunately we don't have personal insurance (the kids are on CHIP) so it's unlikely that he would be able to file with them.

He's also very handsome though.

#7 of 13 Old 07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Banned

Dr. Aimee Wright
http://draimeewright.com/Default.aspx?tabid=59

The meat is really expensive - we don't buy it. In fact, the only meat we eat (besides DH's lunchmeat) is when I get coupons for buy $40 get $10 free meat from Central Market. They come in the mail once a month and I just plan ahead for the things I need to buy at CM, like coffee.

Dallas is pretty sad in terms of fresh and organic. Maybe Sprouts would have raw milk?
#8 of 13 Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the dr's website!

I've not heard of sprouts but will look it up. I remember passing by something called "Amy's Natural Supermarket" or *something* like that. I can't remember if it was in Dallas or in Plano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
Dr. Aimee Wright
http://draimeewright.com/Default.aspx?tabid=59

The meat is really expensive - we don't buy it. In fact, the only meat we eat (besides DH's lunchmeat) is when I get coupons for buy $40 get $10 free meat from Central Market. They come in the mail once a month and I just plan ahead for the things I need to buy at CM, like coffee.

Dallas is pretty sad in terms of fresh and organic. Maybe Sprouts would have raw milk?

#9 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

I checked Sprouts for you yesterday and I didn't see any raw milk. They didn't have any tempeh either.

I'd just look up natural groceries and start calling. I have the feeling that raw milk might be hard to find.
#10 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Awww thanks so much for checking for me!

The only place I found was 50 miles north of McKinney. I'm surprised! There are lots of places around Austin, Waco etc. so I figured there would surely be some around the Dallas area. We've just gotten so used to the milk that I would feel lost without it! I can't even drink the regular stuff anymore. It's actually got me in sort of a panic.

I'll just have to sneak a dairy cow into my backyard.

#11 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM

I'm in Plano, and I've seen Dr. Chartrand a couple of times, once for me and 2 times for my son when we didn't have insurance. He's good, and definitely cute! I gave birth at the birthing center where his office is.

There is also a holistic ped in Frisco, Dr. Deborah Bain, at www.healthykidspediatrics.com She's our ped, and pretty good.

I have heard a couple of times about someone selling raw milk in a Whole Foods parking lot before they open, don't know which one or any more than that.

Good luck!
#12 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 10:48 PM

Hi Kim, there are quite a few local AP/natural parenting and family groups (email lists) in the area:
http://apconnect.org/dfw-attachmentn...ing-resources/

Joining the lists are generally the best way to get the scuttle on local pediatricians, although I see a lot of the "usual suspects" already mentioned here.

As for raw milk, here's a list of local suppliers:
http://apconnect.org/2007/05/04/non-...ilk-suppliers/

Hope that helps ease your transition to the area!
#13 of 13 Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 AM

I use Raintree pediatrics in allen. They do reccomend following the aap vax guidelines, but they dont push it and the cnp we use is wonderfully supportive of my extended bf/tandem nursing. She just laughs when she walks in the room and my 16mo old and 3.5yr old are both hanging on half out of the chair trying to stay in my lap.

They also are generally very friendly and never keep me waiting.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page