IRL friend around Abilene? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really hesitant to post this, but I need to find a like minded momma to get out with. Just someone to take the kids out with to the park or zoo or something. I've got 3 kiddos, one 6 1/2dd, an almost 3yr old ds, and 1 yr old ds. I live in Tuscola but drive into Abilene every so often. I try to eat WAP (traditional foods) but lately I'm not very good at it. I homeschool, raise a few chickens, want to garden and I'd like to raise a few milk goats. I'm also a homebirth fanatic lol. I may try the LLL meetings if they're still going on.....
#2 of 14 Old 07-27-2008, 04:41 PM

Sorry Kangaroomum,
Our leader moved and so we're not having LLL meetings right now. Figures I would find a post about Abilene just as we're leaving. But hey, we're not moved yet, so PM me if you want.
#3 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 AM

Well- I am here looking for crunchy mama info and Abilene, knowing it is a long shot. We're considering a move to Abilene in the next few months and the #1 thing I am nervous about is leaving all the crunchy resources here in Houston.

But, if we do come there, I would love to buddy up with you. My kids are 6, 3 1/2 and 1 (all boys), we homeschool, birth with midwives, extended breastfeed, selectively vaccinate, etc...

I'd be really interested to hear about your homebirthing experiences out there. I googled midwives and Abilene and only found one in Odessa! Scary...

Aimee
~crunchy mama of four boys~
#4 of 14 Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM

There is one midwife in Abilene if you check the Association of TX Midwives page. Sorry kangaroomum we never did catch up with y'all. We just made it to Houston.

Feel free to PM if you want pedi recc's etc.
#5 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just now saw this. Sorry I missed you mom2annika, I just got busy, but I hope you're enjoying Houston . As for the mw in Abilene, she's great I really enjoyed my homebirth experience with her.
#6 of 14 Old 10-11-2008, 12:01 AM

We just moved here from Austin. We are moderately crunchy. . .

I am currently PG with second child (a boy) and we have a DD who will be 4 in November. We are very into NCB and I am worried about having this baby at Hen. Hospital. Unfortunately, I am not the ideal candidate for homebirth. I transferred form MW to the back up OB at almost 8 months with DD and had some hemorraging problems due to placental rupture. That inspired enought doubt about a repeat, that I am having this one in the hospital form the start, but the options are sooooo limited. I am already fighting all of the "admitting orders" (IV fluid, nothing by mouth, continual monitoring, laboring in room and not "wandering") and I am not due until Jan 30. I wish I could find a doula or even just someone familiar with how a womans body is SUPPOSED to work so I didn't have to fight tooth and nail to keep them from doing anything to me or baby.

If anyone has any sugestions or if you guys get together, please let me know. I will try to make it!

Beth
#7 of 14 Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Sorry you are having such a hard time Beth. All that you mentioned is exactly what I was worried about before I found out we were getting transferred out of Abilene.

How confident are you about laboring at home? I had my first DD at a hospital and as long as you don't complain much very often the L&D nurses will just let you alone. We were lucky that I was in labor overnight and so the place was deserted. It's not difficult to bring your own snacks. Keep in mind the one person you have to convince about the birth plan is the OB. Once it goes in your chart (your OB may or may not be willing to sign it...I wouldn't bet on it, but you could ask) the nurses have to go by it. They cannot change "standing orders" without some say-so from the OB either. Just get a copy of it in the chart.

Congrats on the new LO! Good luck to you.
#8 of 14 Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

We mostly labored at home with DD and were at the hospital about an hour before she was born. Unfortunately, she was in distress and it was pretty hectic. I was only a 4 when we arrived so they were prepping to do a c/s, bit doc agreed to try other things first (AROM, internal monitor, amnioinfusion, IV fluids, oxygen). They worked to help stabilize her heartrate and she came out very quickly. Unfortunately she had meconium (twice. . .) and the placenta ruptured. I lost a *lot* of blood but the doc did a great job getting me cleaned out and I did not end up with a tranfusion (though clinically needed one- we did high iron diet instead and kept checking. I bounced right back!). So DH is a little worried about a repeat. . .

We are planning to go to the hospital a *little* earlier this time just because we are concerned the baby may come faster. Fortunately, DH has been through it all once and is pretty prepared to wave the nurses away.

I called to get the standard admitting procedures so I know what I need to have in my birth plan and it is getting more extensive. As long as everything is normal: No IV, heplock only. Intermittent monitoring (10 min/hour or 4 contrx). Fluids (electrolyte soln) as desired in addition to ice chips. Freedom to move around (they have a labor in bed only except to go to the bathroom and over 60% are catharized to eliminate this need. . .grrr). No pulling on legs during delivery due to symphysis pubis dysfunction. No counting or yelling.

I haven't had the long talk with the doc yet, but I told him my desires and that I would write it up into the birth plan. We are planning that for this next appointment. I am sending them a copy before so he can review it and we can talk about any changes he wants to make. THen I am getting him to sign it and put it in my chart because I am NOT having all that nonsense if things are progressing normally. We have been through it before and needed interventions last time, but we had informed consent with all of them. Hopefully, these will not be unreasonable requests!
#9 of 14 Old 10-19-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

As far as I know there's not any doula's in this town, yet I'd like to be one, but I haven't had time with the kids to do the training. The mw here will go with you as a doula but her fee is kind of high for that. I'd love to get together and talk birth. Sounds like your already doing an awsome job preparing.
#10 of 14 Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 PM

I too would like to be a doula, but it will have to wait until the kids are older and I have some good childcare backups!

I would certainly love to get together. Just let me know when you are headed into town.

BTW, what does WAP mean? I am new to that one.
#11 of 14 Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Weston A Price, but here it's just referred to as traditional foods, which I've tried to start using more.
#12 of 14 Old 10-20-2008, 06:39 PM

I'm in abilene but my kids are a bit older than yours =) Mine are 14,10,8 and 6. We have a couple chickens, but dh isn't on board with the rest of the farm :P I could meet you at a park or something on thursdays, we're a one car family and thursday is my errands day with it =)

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#13 of 14 Old 10-25-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds great, Thursdays is usually when I pick up milk. I'll pm you. What about a meetup with sweetmonkey if she's available then too?
#14 of 14 Old 10-26-2008, 12:59 AM

That sounds awesome =)

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page