Houston meat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

We just discovered the farmer's market on Airline, and we would love to find a good meat market. Somewhere with really quality meat for a good price, if such a place exists. : Anyone know of such a place? We're in Copperfield, but we'll be driving into town every two weeks for the farmer's market anyway, so....

Thanks in advance!

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 AM

I'm in Austin and have ordered from this place several times. I've ordered their large beef package, which I think is priced very well considering what I received. They come through their delivery towns (Houston is one) every 2 months. We have a freezer in the garage where we store extra meat...

http://www.paidom.com/
#3 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 AM

We love paidom.

-Angela
#4 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 03:44 PM

I do too!
I learned about them from here on MDC (thanks Angela!!) and havent bought chicken or meat from elsewhere since then.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#5 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 PM

We are new customers with paidom and so far have been really pleased with the quality and price! We started with a 30lb order on the August delivery and I think dh would like to go with a 50lb or more in October. (I want to say with delivery fee the 30lb variety pack of meat was around $150) It really makes meal planning easy when you have the freezer full of many options! I never buy steaks because they are so high dollar to get organic or grassfed here, so everything being about the price of ground and getting steaks too is really cool! (and dh is really happy, he could eat beef daily!) Also the big roasts have been great, we cook them in a dutch oven and they about fall off the bones -wow, roast with bones in it-- it feels very decadent! After going with clean grassfed meat it's hard to imagine eating the stuff off the shelf, even from whole foods. We just keep getting pickier.
We also buy ground bison from thunderheart bison.
I'm happy to hear the paidom chicken is good too, we were hoping to order some next time!
#6 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 PM

I don't know exactly what you're looking for as far as organic or grass fed goes.. but pete's fine meats sells all prime beef (most of the stuff you buy in the store is "choice"). They are our usual butcher. Their chicken is excellent too. Give them a call and ask some questions to see if they fit your needs.
#7 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could also try any of the Halal meat (islamic) shops on Hillcroft, or on the northside, the one we go to is Al-Huda Meat Shop on Veteran's Memorial. The meat is super fresh, I think the butcher goes to market and slaughters on Tues. It's funny because everytime I'm in there I see 'regular' customers who I'm guessing aren't Muslim, but like the quality/freshness of the meats/chicken.

If it's close to you, here is the address and phone:

12090 Veterans Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77067-1002
281-444-8120

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! I love the sound and looks of Paidom, but it really seems like the S&H would negate any savings. We shared the site with our friends and they would love to go in with us on orders later on.

I'm not too concerned with grass fed or organic, really just price for quality. We'll definitely chack out Pete's. That Halal meat store is right by my mom's, but we've got a ton up and down highway 6 too, so maybe I'll check into those, although I've never seen beef there.

Thanks!

We'll def. be looking into paidom when I have a job again and we could afford it.

#9 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM

The delivery fee is $14 and they deliver every other month, they drive around Texas. I can't imagine paying shipping and handling for meat!
If you are looking for price try Randall's, my friend finds amazing deals there in the meat department.
#10 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Currently we always buy our beef marked down from Randalls!

I thought the Paidom site said they charge $14 a box to deliver. Ohh, wait, now I see. I misread your post completely. Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page