Houston mamas, watching Ike? WDYT? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 421 Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
maybe it will hit rockport and blow our dilapidated (yet, we carry insurance on it..) beach house away!
I am in Rockport, but had to read this thread since I am also watching Ike. I have to say that we are not wanting it here other than some rain. As of the last news report that I saw, it looks like you guys are going to get it more than us.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#62 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 AM

10pm updates starting to freak me out.

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#63 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlittle View Post
10pm updates starting to freak me out.
Me too. Do you guys have a plan? We may be going to Tulsa to do possible disaster recovery for DH's work. It doesn't look like any airlines will take our dog - due to the heat and/or a no pets policy. It looks like we may have to rent a bigger vehicle and drive. I'm still unsure of what we're going to do. His company will decide for him tomorrow by noon.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#64 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 AM

I'm pretty sure we're in it for the long haul unless we get mandatory evacuation orders. I'm still waiting and watching though...

With Rita we'd already left by now before the storm came 3 days later and the traffic was awful. I think it will be much worse if everyone leaves tomorrow and Friday and that is something I'm considering. It gets dangerous.

We'd have to take both cars since it's the three of us plus 6 animals, but obviously we'll do it if we have to. Ahhhhh, the fun.

#65 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we're in it for the long haul unless we get mandatory evacuation orders. I'm still waiting and watching though...

With Rita we'd already left by now before the storm came 3 days later and the traffic was awful. I think it will be much worse if everyone leaves tomorrow and Friday and that is something I'm considering. It gets dangerous.

We'd have to take both cars since it's the three of us plus 6 animals, but obviously we'll do it if we have to. Ahhhhh, the fun.
True, but staying can be even more dangerous. If/when we evacuate, I'll be calling to check on you guys no matter what you decide - so bring your phone!

Also, if you leave at the very last minute, you could avoid traffic as well. However, this storm is so big/wide, that leaving late might not be a very good option. Bleh. Boo, hurricanes!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#66 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 AM

That's what I mean about leaving being dangerous. We could be stuck in traffic on the freeway in tropical storm winds. I dunno. I need to get off this stuff and see what the morning brings.

I'll definitely have my phone with me. Let me know what you guys end up doing!

xoxo

#67 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 AM

xoxo!

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#68 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 AM

As long as you're out of storm surge and in a reasonable building, it's fine to stay in general.

We won't leave at this point. They won't call a mandatory evacuation at this point. It's too late to get large numbers out.

Really hoping it takes the further south track.

-Angela
#69 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
As long as you're out of storm surge and in a reasonable building, it's fine to stay in general.

We won't leave at this point. They won't call a mandatory evacuation at this point. It's too late to get large numbers out.

Really hoping it takes the further south track.

-Angela
yes this.
i told mamavegan that we arent leaving but we are staying at my dad's paranoia bunker and riding it out if it looks like we are getting a really direct hit. There is no way I am sitting in traffic with a newborn, a toddler, and 4 million of my closest friends.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#70 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 AM

it's hard for me to imagine traveling at this point... a paranoia bunker sounds good right about now though!

#71 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
it's hard for me to imagine traveling at this point... a paranoia bunker sounds good right about now though!
well what else would you call a three story house with two stories underground and walls of cement many feet thick? LOL

:

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#72 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
There is no way I am sitting in traffic with a newborn, a toddler, and 4 million of my closest friends.

-Angela
#73 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
well what else would you call a three story house with two stories underground and walls of cement many feet thick? LOL

:
I want to know how he keeps 2 stories underground in Houston dry-ish....

-Angela
#74 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I want to know how he keeps 2 stories underground in Houston dry-ish....

-Angela
he had manmade hills created and the house is built on that. it is also enclosed somehow... i dont know the details 100% but it works...somehow. The house is dozens of years old so it has somehow worked for a while.

#75 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 01:16 AM

Wow, I'll be watching close. It may be soup and battery buying time.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#76 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 AM

This doesn't look good at all.

We're off to the hospital this morning for an "induction lite" with some prepidil because of my worsening pre-e. The doctor's ideal is for me to go into labor on my own this weekend, but honestly, at this point, the idea of having to make it to a hospital in the middle of a hurricane scares me more than asking them to just do a full fledged induction now. And obviously worrying about the hurricane isn't helping my blood pressure at.all.

:: off to research homebirth and what kind of things we might need to have on hand in case we decide not to go to the hospital ::

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#77 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM

ooooo, josh'sgirl! sending good vibes your way! my bet is Ike will keep curling north, and it'll be more like beaumont again---

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living
#78 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 AM

joshs girl- i hope it all works out for the best for you guys. i'm so sorry for the added hurricane stress!

#79 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Good luck Kati!
#80 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 AM

Hey fellow Houstonians

I wasn't too happy when I found out Jim Cantori was in Galveston last night.
We love him but you never want him in your town, you know?

I went super shopping Monday and bought non-perishables I knew we would eat anyway. Extra nuts, crackers, peanut butter etc.
DH stopped at Sams last night and got more water, TP and granola bars.

DH left for Austin this morning for work. The original plan was to come back Friday but he is a little worried they will open contra flow lanes sometime Friday and he'll have a hard time getting back so he is coming back tonight.

We have these cheesy metalic window insulation things in a lot of our windows that get afternoon sun so we are hoping if the glass were to break at least it would be contained between the metalic bubble sheets and our wood blinds. When Rita was coming we put cardboard between the windows and blinds just in case. I did hear that adhesive shelf paper is great for keeping the windows together should they break and doesn't leave the sticky residue tape does

We will empty out our master closet and put the girls in there and the boys will sleep on our bedroom floor. These are the safest rooms in our house.

The boys go to public school and I think there's a good chance they might cancel classes tomorrow. They already canceled the football game and homecoming dance.

I might try to hit Target today depending on how crazy the parking lot looks.

Our only concern is lack of electricity so we are trying to prepare for that the best we can. I will make sure ALL our cloth diapers are clean

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#81 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Remember...run from water, hide from wind.

Let's keep the roads clear for our coastal friends...we'll be hunkering down on the north side, hoping the trees don't crash through our roof.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#82 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
...we'll be hunkering down on the north side
oh no, i was hoping this would be a "hunker" free-zone.

where did the newscasters get that word and why must they say it over and over and over.

#83 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Remember...run from water, hide from wind.

Let's keep the roads clear for our coastal friends...we'll be hunkering down on the north side, hoping the trees don't crash through our roof.
Agreed! The biggest issue with the Rita evacuation was a bunch of people that had no business trying to leave were leaving.
I am on a few homeschooling boards and had to roll my eyes this morning when someone that lives in Conroe posted they were leaving for San Antonio.
I would much rather keep the highways open for our coastal neighbors.

I just got a letter from my 13 year olds Spanish teacher that CFISD will be closed tomorrow and the kids have to leave immediately after school today.

#84 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
oh no, i was hoping this would be a "hunker" free-zone.

where did the newscasters get that word and why must they say it over and over and over.
LOL I think anybody south of Conroe will be hunkerin' down.
BTW - I love the word

#85 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm thinking of you guys and hope it's not as bad as some are predicting. If you haven't already seen this blog you should definitely check it out.

Sending good vibes your way, Mamas!

Weather Underground
#86 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 PM

FWIW I had to go into HOuston this morning (from the woodlands) to retrieve my laptop so I can work remotely from home. I wanted to get in and out before evacuation traffic got too heavy.

45 was running well ...so if you are thinking of heading North ...do so now before it gets too nuts.

As for us, we'll be "hunkering" here....besides wind/tree related damage (which we are up for any time there is one of those crazy gulf storms)...we should be ok.

For all of those in the mandatory evac areas...GL!
#87 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Ok mammas, I'm starting to get a little nervous...here is a great link to check predicted wind speeds for your area (you can zoom in really close); it updates every 3 hours.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/

Up to this point I was making Biscotti in preparation, but now I might be doing a little more!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#88 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Ok mammas, I'm starting to get a little nervous...here is a great link to check predicted wind speeds for your area (you can zoom in really close); it updates every 3 hours.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/

Up to this point I was making Biscotti in preparation, but now I might be doing a little more!
Thanks for the link! I'm starting to wonder if we should leave, we're in Spring Branch, but after evacuating for Rita, I just really don't know...

Anyways, heading out now w/ds to load up on supplies. Hmmm, should probably check if classes are cancelled tomorrow at UH...maybe that's wishful thinking on my part
#89 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 PM

We are staying put and making preparations today. I am clearing out our closet under our stairs just in case. I also have to go over to another mama's house on here that is out of town to bring stuff in from outside there. We are all stocked up and gassed up otherwise. I hope everyone stays safe.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#90 of 421 Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Sugar Land area schools are closed tomorrow.
I just came from HEB near Greatwood, and it was VERY busy. I got the last big pack of bottled water on the shelf- although I am not one to buy crappy bottled water, I got in on the panic, and just grabbed some.

People had carts overflowing with peanutbutter, crackers, etc. All powdered milk was gone, and most of the bread was gone. The batteries had a "guard"- an employee there to "hellp"-- people were buying charcoal, paper towels, TP, adn paper plates......

We are staying here. Mayor White said that he doesn't want any employers to have their employees come to work tomorrow (except medical and other necessary staff)--

Jennifer- wife and mom, dreaming of country living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page