Looking for low/no thimerosal flu vaccine in SA area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 5 months pregnant, and I normally do not get a flu vaccine at all. This year, though, I am going to heed my OB's advice and get one. However, my requirement is that it be low/no thimerosal.

Does anyone know the name of a doctor office or pharmacy in the San Antonio area that is offering these vaccines for adults?

Thanks,

Sara
#2 of 13 Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM

I think they took the Themerosol out of the regular flu shot, but it's still in the nasal spray. I had mine done while pg at an HEB pharmacy. It was like $20 or something.

Good luck!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 13 Old 09-26-2008, 02:31 PM

Just call and ask if they have Fluzone or Fluarix. Fluzone is generally for the kids, but I think they have adult doses too.
#4 of 13 Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Thimerosal is in all Flu vaxes. Some are "mercury free" which actually means that most of the thimerisol has been removed. IIRC, independent studies indicate that the thimerosal -removal process is inconsistent and some shots may have the full amount of thimerosal , however, the shots are still called "mercury-free" by many doctors. (i had to really dig to find that info. i'm frustrated that i can't find the link).

this thread in the vax forum has a lot of info on the mercury contents of specific brands.
#5 of 13 Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

The CDC shows a list of the low/no thimerosal flu vaccines here:

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/professionals...osage.htm#tab2

Flu Mist is not supposed to be administered to PG women due to it not actually being inactive.

Fluvirin and Fluzone both have thimerosal versions, and they are the most common to find, not the low/no thimerosal versions of these vaccines (including what HEB offers).

Any other suggestions?
#6 of 13 Old 10-01-2008, 04:42 AM

IMHO, the flu vaccine isn't worth it. I've been pregnant through two winters and I've never gotten sick with the flu, pregnant or not. Bulk up on healthy foods and take a good food based prenatal vitamin. You're exposing little baby to a lot of toxins (not even counting the thimerosal) and you're not guaranteed that you're immune. Flu shots are a real craps shoot. Even running the chance that you can track one down there is not a guarantee that it's mercury free.
#7 of 13 Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM

So did anyone here find a place in San Antonio that offers the Thimerosal-free flu shot? I know of one place in Austin, but their clinic hours are limited.
#8 of 13 Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 PM

I was just getting on to ask the same thing. I would love to know if anyone found it anywhere in San Antonio!!!

Emily, happily married for 9 years, , Graeme 1/9/09, due 10/10, 8/07, and lovin' all over my 3 licky :
#9 of 13 Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

I FOUND A LOW THIMEROSAL VACCINE!!!! :

When I initially posted my inquiry, I started calling pharmacies. Lots of pharmacies. I got a return call today.

The result: the HEB at Huebner/Babcock just got a shipment of Fluvirin in the individual syringes, which has less than 1 mcg of thimerosal! Much better than the 25 in standard vaccines.

Just goes to show you that a phone call can make an impression!!!

So gals, just make your needs known! And if you go to Babcock/Huebner for the vaccine, make sure and take the pharmacist aside and thank him/her.

Sara
#10 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM

Thanks so much for posting this location. I am in Kerrville and have been searching far and wide for this shot. You saved me a trip into Austin.
#11 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks for posting. I was just getting ready to start making phone calls but you saved me the trouble. That HEB isn't too far from my house, definitely worth the trip!

Emily, happily married for 9 years, , Graeme 1/9/09, due 10/10, 8/07, and lovin' all over my 3 licky :
#12 of 13 Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 PM

I went to the mentioned HEB and my husband and I happily walked away with our flu shot. The only hitch was that I wanted my 2 y/o to get it also and I was told they don't give them to children. Now I'll see if the Kerrville HEB can order it for us and then send it to his pediatrician (who doesn't order flu shots at this time).
#13 of 13 Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 PM

Hey, who has it in Austin? I've made lots of calls but so far haven't come up with anything. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page