Current happenings in Okie area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I'd start a new thread, because it seems like there are a few things popping up that might be fun. These are things we usually do:

1. Myriad Gardens has free entry on Friday, October 3rd to kick off their orchid sale. *I* wouldn't buy such a pretty, expensive plant because someone in our house would destroy it, but the garden itself is awesome to explore, and we always take a picnic lunch to eat on the east side of the koi pond.

2. Western Heritage Museum (cowboy museum to us!) has free admission on Wednesdays through November 19th

3. Okc Zoo has free admission through October 12th if you bring a pumpkin bigger than your head. While our garden only produced one large pumpkin this year, could be worth it. Kids under three are always free anyway.

4. This weekend only October 3rd, 4th and 5th Talequah is hosting their second Flute Fest. Totally free and medium fun...no bouncy toys, but my kids really enjoyed the music and art last year, and they're mostly younger.

5. Watonga Cheese Festival October 10th, 11th, 12th...tour the cheese factory, supposed to pay $5 for over 12yo, but we didn't pay the last time we went. http://www.watongacheesefestival.com/

6. Global Oklahoma at Rose State College, October 4th 10am to 5pm. Free, lots of fun kids crafts, music, encampment...cheapo fair foods.

Anyone else have suggestions for activities, oktoberfests, festivals coming up?

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all!
Just got an email saying that the Sam Noble Museum, in Norman (you know, the dinosaur museum...as the kids call it) will have free admission on Mondays through October, and then beginning Novembers will be free on the first Monday of the month.

I'm really excited about this, they weren't open on Mondays, and now they are!
It's just even better that it's free!

#3 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Oh, I've always wanted to do the cheese festival, but I forget about it every year. Maybe we'll try to make it this year.

Momma to 7
#4 of 28 Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM

http://www.tulsakids.com/calendar.html#25

Just found this site, focuses on tulsa, but does have some city stuff in it.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#5 of 28 Old 10-29-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Great link Oceanseve!

Did everyone here that the Sam Noble museum is now free on the first Monday of each month? We went last week and the new exhibits are really great. This coming Monday (the third) is free, and we'll probably head back.

Also, next Saturday (November eighth) is WeatherFest at the National Weather Service in Norman. If you haven't been, it's really quite fun and a great way to spend the morning. Lots of activities, tours, and freebies. I think 9:30 to 1pm

#6 of 28 Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 PM

We just moved to Norman (from California, that's a trip! ) less than a month ago. What is going on now?

I know that the Myriad Gardens and several other places have free days in December. I think that I heard that the Sam Noble Museum in Norman is having free days in December too. Is that correct? I've googled and searched their website and can't find anything about the free days at the Sam Noble Museum. Are the free MOndays still going on?
#7 of 28 Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 AM

You could always call them and ask. Its been so long since I worked there that I can't remember what their free days are.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#8 of 28 Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

First monday of every month is free at Sam Noble, and in December the zoo is free every monday.

#9 of 28 Old 12-01-2008, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am late in coming to this thread -- but every time I read about Norman and OKC on MDC, I really want an OKC/Norman MDC playdate.

Is anyone interested?
#10 of 28 Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 PM

maybe after new year I can't imagine trying to cram anything else into this month, but I love the idea.

#11 of 28 Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 PM

I might be interested, depending when and where you wanted to get together. I don't know where you are located, but Norman would be better for me. We've been back in OK less than a month, and my 2 year old has decided to go diaper-free again (we EC'd for a while, but a house flood and other events ended that plan). Things are crazy around here now.

I'm hoping that the whole potty learning process will smooth out soon, but right now I'm trying to figure out what to do when we go out - diapers, training pants, padded undies, underwear or ??? It's making my head spin! :
#12 of 28 Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 AM

Oh, I was thinking in January or later...

In my experience you need to schedule these things WAY in advance because people don't check this forum much...

Rachel
#13 of 28 Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

I'm interested as well...I pretty much check the FYT every day, just don't post because no one else does
Just call me sheep.

#14 of 28 Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 AM

Ok -- let's do it.

What about something in Moore -- so it is in between for OKC and Norman folks?

We could meet at the Moore public library on (just picked this randomly) Tuesday January 13th at 10:00??

Feel free to propose an alternative date or time -- we are pretty open.

Rachel
#15 of 28 Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Moore would work for us.

Monday or Friday would be much better though. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday ds goes to Mother's Day Out at Bart Conner's Gym. He calls it his "bounce" time. : Playing at Bart's Gym seems to keep him from jumping off of the sofa as much.

(He likes all of the smileys I used above.
#16 of 28 Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM

OK, no problem.

Monday January 12th?
#17 of 28 Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalmax View Post
OK, no problem.

Monday January 12th?
Sounds good for me. Does anyone else have older children? Mine are 13, 11, 9, 8, 7, 5 and three...they like being prepared.

#18 of 28 Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 AM

Mine are 1 and 4...
#19 of 28 Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM

I have a dd who is 7 and a ds who is 2. :
#20 of 28 Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 PM

2 1/2 and almost 1. Not sure about the date but I hope it will pan out, at any rate I will try ..... Where's the moore library?

n/m scheduling conflict, I can't be there maybe next time

#21 of 28 Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesToys View Post
Moore would work for us.

Monday or Friday would be much better though. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday ds goes to Mother's Day Out at Bart Conner's Gym. He calls it his "bounce" time. : Playing at Bart's Gym seems to keep him from jumping off of the sofa as much.

(He likes all of the smileys I used above.
Too cool....how old do they have to be? My 20 month old would love that. He is a big "jumper" or "bouncer"! haha
#22 of 28 Old 01-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Ok -- Ihate to do this, but I can't make the 12th now for a playdate. lol

Can we make it the 19th? I had to reschedule a doctors apt for the 12th. You guys can do it without me -- but I would hate to miss it..

Rachel
#23 of 28 Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Rachel, I can do the 19th as well. Anyone else?

#24 of 28 Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 AM

At first glance it would work for me. thought sometimes the closer I get the fuzzier it becomes Sounds good for now though.

N8's mom carrying this Q over from the other okie thread - who's your ped?

Are you ladies still thinking library or is there somewhere else? I'm kinda curious what Bart's gym is? Is it something you have to have a membership to and they only expect you to drop kids off or can you stay and play? That kinda sounds like fun

#25 of 28 Old 01-05-2009, 01:25 AM

Ok -- let's make it the 19th -- I was thinking the Moore Public Library...but am open if someone else has another idea.

We should decide soon and start posting this on all the other OKC area threads so others can come if they want to...

Rachel
#26 of 28 Old 01-05-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
Too cool....how old do they have to be? My 20 month old would love that. He is a big "jumper" or "bouncer"! haha
It starts at 18 months according to their website. My son started when we moved here, at 23 months.

They have both preschool classes and a Mother's Day Out program. I imagine the preschool classes are cool - we haven't tried them yet. However, the MDO program isn't the best in my opinion. My son loves going to the gym, but I'm not thrilled with some of the aspects of the MDO program. If I could find something I liked better, I would probably switch my son to going to Bart's MDO one day a week and another MDO or preschool 2 days a week. I haven't found anything else yet. :?

The things I don't like:

1) They serve lunch. They don't make you bring a lunch - but they have fast food instead. It's pizza one day, McDonald's another day and Chick-Fil-A the third day. (The program is only 3 days a week, Tu-Th.) blech. And they didn't even request toddler toys the last time. My 2 year old has no need for Bionicles with small pieces. :

2) One day I was sitting there while my son got warmed up to the place for the day. The kids were watching TV. bleh. Even worse was the fact that the assistant was telling the kids that they had to come back to the mat. I guess they aren't ALLOWED to do anything else when the TV is on. I didn't ask about this - maybe there is an explanation, but what I saw doesn't sit well with me.

I'm not happy with how they are handling potty learning with my son either. I've got to run now, but I will explain more later if anyone is interested.

Overall, I would recommend Bart's Gym for an active kid and many other kids as well. They don't do traditional "gymnastics" per se in the MDO program. They have a "foam pit" like a ball pit with foam blocks. They have trampolines and other fun things that they do. My son likes it.

It's certainly not perfect though. :? I imagine most people wouldn't have any problem with the classes - preschool or for older kids - though. We are planning to let our 7 year old daughter take gymnastics lessons soon. They won't be feeding her, letting her watch TV or taking her to the potty, so I don't expect any problems there. (Btw, the parent has to be there for some of the younger preschool classes. I don't know the details though.)

http://www.bartconnergymnastics.com/...s/mothers.html
#27 of 28 Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalmax View Post
Ok -- let's make it the 19th -- I was thinking the Moore Public Library...but am open if someone else has another idea.

We should decide soon and start posting this on all the other OKC area threads so others can come if they want to...

Rachel
Moore library is definitely centrally located. It's really open though and not a ton for the kids to do. Would the Norman library be too far for anyone?

#28 of 28 Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM

I'm coming from Yukon, so moore would be nice, unless everyone else lives in norman.

Anyone know if the midwifery in norman is still open. I'm down there once a week but no one is ever there ?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page