Houston: Breech baby info? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all,
I'm currently pg with DD2 (30 wks). She's transverse and I'm wondering what I can do (should do? at this point anyway) cause I really want to stay with my MW practice. Vaginal breech delivery isn't an option with their practice. They say they have OB's who will help out with external versions, but that kinda scares me, to be honest. They said don't worry cause it doesn't matter right now anyway, but I'd like to know what my options are. And if there's anything I can do NOW cause it's pretty uncomfortable for me too.

I'm working with a chiropractor (for other back issues), but he doesn't do Webster technique and doesn't see much value in it himself. I am hoping to start prenatal yoga soon---there's only one studio in my area offering it and I haven't been able to keep up with my yoga since I got pg due to moving and Ike. We moved from West Texas, where yoga was more or less considered a fad. <sigh>

So...ideas? Yoga, Webster technique, long walks? Anybody recommend a Webster technique chiro in NE Houston? Or SE Houston/Clear Lake?

TIA!
#2 of 17 Old 10-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First of all, it is sooo early for you to get sad about positioning, baby will change probably many more times before delivery, so get rid of that negative energy!

Have you checked into Marita's pre-natal class? I do Yoga on Satuday w/ her and I adore her and simply adore her. I don't think the pre-natal class is listed on the website but she was talking about it in class last Sat. so call her for more info - http://www.yoga4kingwood.com/

I hear turningbabies.com is awesome, and definitely something you can do alone or inconjunction.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 17 Old 10-10-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Shwarma. I am kinda down about it...it just seems like the hits just keep on coming. First I thought I was stuck in WTx, then moving, then Ike...

They are supposed to be starting a prenatal class at Omni but I can't get anyone to call me back about it and there is never anyone there to answer the phone.

I'll call Marita.
#4 of 17 Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Have you checked out spinningbabies.com? That's my first recommendtation. Right after "Don't freak out yet"

Kelly, wife to J and mama to our precious A, HE'S 5! and the parasite will emerge on or before Sept 24, 2010!
#5 of 17 Old 10-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanraynesmom View Post
Have you checked out spinningbabies.com? That's my first recommendtation. Right after "Don't freak out yet"
Lol! turningbabies...spinningbabies- what's the difference??!! Ha! That's what I meant!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#6 of 17 Old 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM

I have heard good things about Dr Cindy Bryant-Tovar

http://www.tbodywork.com/
#7 of 17 Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Also Dr. Caroline Long at West U. Wellness 713-490-2225, uses the Webster Technique. I haven't used her as a chiro, but met her at the BIRTH fair and she was very nice.
#8 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 12:02 AM

My homebirth midewife (Sandra McDonald) has experience catching breech babies. What area of the city are you in? I go to a Chiro in Katy (Kristen Elliot), but I don't know if she does Websters or not.

But I have to vote for "Don't Freak Out yet." it's just WAY too early!
#9 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM

There are midwives who will gently attempt to turn a breech. But really it's WAY early to be worried about it.

-Angela
#10 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I feel better knowing I have more options besides straight to c-section, if this babe is stubborn. I knew y'all would know where to find 'em.

We're in northeast Houston.
#11 of 17 Old 10-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
Thanks mamas. I feel better knowing I have more options besides straight to c-section, if this babe is stubborn. I knew y'all would know where to find 'em.

We're in northeast Houston.
I know a midwife that isn't too far from there that has never had to deliver a breech baby because she ALWAYS gets them to turn. #3 was stubborn and didn't want to turn until the last minute. She was born 9'14" so turning big babies isn't a problem.
#12 of 17 Old 10-15-2008, 12:02 AM

My baby was posterior at 38 weeks and four days so Denise Smith at Meridian Chiropractic performed the Webster method (she is certified). The little one turned and I went into labor two days later. I don't know if it was due to the technique or not, but it certainly didn't hurt to try. I tried to get into West U Wellness, but they couldn't work me in so they recommended Denise. She specializes in pregnancy and pediatric work. She only works on Tuesdays b/c she also has a young baby at home. The office is central (near Edloe and 59).

She mentioned to me last week that they just had a booth at the Birth Fair .

http://www.themeridiandocs.com/custo...ancy_care.html
#13 of 17 Old 10-15-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal View Post
Also Dr. Caroline Long at West U. Wellness 713-490-2225, uses the Webster Technique. I haven't used her as a chiro, but met her at the BIRTH fair and she was very nice.
She is my toddler's chiro and we love her. Probably the 1st person I would go to myself.
#14 of 17 Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 PM

You do have more options, but it depends greatly on the type of care provider you choose for your birth!
#15 of 17 Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM

I go to Dr. Long regularly and love her. I'm 30 weeks as well! The thing is that she's pregnant too, and due at the end of November. By the time you might really need her to do the webster technique, she may be on maternity leave.

There is another chiro trained in webster technique (maybe Denise Smith?) and she will be heading to West U to cover for Dr. Long while she's on maternity leave. So, you would have someone there to help you if need be. She'll be there 1 day a week and in her own practice 2 days a week.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#16 of 17 Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM

since it is still early, I would at home just do some basic cat/cows before and shower or bath. On all fours look at your belly button arching your back like a cat, then look to the sky and sink your belly towards the floor.

Mom of 3.
#17 of 17 Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 PM

In the event that you need assistance with turning a baby in breech further down the road, check out HypnoBirthing and look for a practitionerin your area. I used the techniques used in HB and turned my son at 37 weeks. Stay positive and use visulaization to help your baby turn into the correct positioning when the time comes...Happy Birthing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page