Possibly moving to Tulsa... questions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We will be making a move in the fall of '09 so that DP can attend Grad School. Tulsa is one possibility for us and I have some questions about parenting in the area!

Are there AP groups? Is there a network of like-minded people?

What about crunchy/natural parents? Network here?

How's the local La Leche League? How often are there meetings?

Are there well-stocked 'health food' stores?

TIA, MDC mamas! I'm so nervous about leaving the place I've lived for my whole life so any help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM

I live in Norman, but my cousin lives in Tulsa. It can't be too bad...here are some links, perhaps you can call and talk to the leaders.

http://dev.lllusa.org/AROK/tulsa/
http://www.attachmentparenting.org/groups/webok.php

As for health food, there is a great coop that I wish delivered this far south(naturalfarms.com), as well as a health food center and two Akins. I don't know exactly where they are...but they are there. There is a wonderful homeschool group, don't know what age your kiddos are...

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#3 of 6 Old 10-17-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, Multimomma! Anyone else know anything?
#4 of 6 Old 10-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Hello, My in-laws live in Owasso (just north of town). I like Tulsa, personally. Much nicer than I had imagined in my head. I can't say much about the parenting community, but I do know that they have a wild oats in town...we always hit it when we're there!

Good luck with your plans-- we're in the same boat as you but it is looking like it might be OKC for us.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#5 of 6 Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM

There is an AP group. They meet at a store called Natural Lullabies (www.naturallullabies.com). The store's owner is an API leader and created the store with API principles. They also offer classes for pregnant mamas, new mamas, and kids.

There are five LLL meetings in Tulsa/Owasso, including one for mamas of toddlers. You can find the group and meeting information at www.lllusa.org.

There is a Whole Foods (formerly Wild Oats), two Akins, and one Martha's Health Foods (in Broken Arrow).

There are several parenting groups for "crunchy" families. Some have meetings, some are online.

Good luck making your decision. By the way, what school are you looking at?
#6 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU PHDMAMA!!!

That makes me feel much better about the prospect of moving. DP is looking at Phillips Theological Seminary. I have a sneaking suspision I won't find much of a peer group at his school.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page