Houston Mammas: 3-4 yo at Renaissance Festival? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone taken their preschooler to the Renaissance Festival? Is it appropriate- I mean, not scary or otherwise?

We are thinking about going but so far I've only gotten suggestions from childless people.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 10-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think for the most part it is ok for small children. I would seriously consider taking a wagon or similar because they will get tired of all the walking. The "official" costumed folks there are not scary in the least, some of the other folks are out there at times, but they are not in the majority by any means and easily avoided. If you guys can stay for the fireworks they are lovely...get seats early!

Pick your shows carefully... Falconer, Jugglers, stuff like that = ok... Dead Bob, The Wenches = probably not so much.

There are lots of things for those with younger families to do, especially in the forested area near the back. It's really common sense choices.

You definately want to avoid Chain Maille Fashions right after the parade. The folks volunteering to wear the fashions do a show. It's a great deal of fun, but if you don't want to see folks shaking their thing, just give them about 1/2 an hour after the parade before you go by.

I will say I haven't been this year or last, but I've been for 7 or 8 years prior to that and it really hasn't changed that much.
#3 of 20 Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM

I haven't taken my kids but I have gone with my nieces and nephews and some other people that had kids. I usually see a lot of kids there. There is a lot of really neat stuff to do. I have a picture of me riding on the elephant with my 4 yo nephew. There is face painting and all sorts of stuff for all ages. I think it is appropriate for all ages. You just need to be carefull about which shows you take in because some of them are definitely PG13.
#4 of 20 Old 10-19-2008, 03:55 PM

We go almost every year. Last year dd was 3 and a bit and LOVED it. Seriously LOVED it. Loved everything. Did everything. We did not take a wagon or stroller and she was okay. Extra tired by the end... but that was great

Budget accordingly.... dd loved the petting zoo, rode the camel, rode the elephant, rode the ponies, did a couple of rides... etc.

She's talked about it ALL year and can't wait to go this year.

-Angela
#5 of 20 Old 10-19-2008, 03:58 PM

We : going as well. Haven't been since we've moved back to Houston some 3 years ago. But my ds #1 was that age when he went his first time and had tons of fun!
#6 of 20 Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 PM

I'd like to go and take 3 y.o. DD myself. I think she'd LOVE it. Thanks for the heads-up about the Chain Maille Fashion parade though...wow. We didn't see that when we went several years ago (pre-kids).
#7 of 20 Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM

we love it and it is really fun for kids that age. i cant wait to go this year!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#8 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 AM

hey y'all! we went the first weekend and my 3.5 yr old loved it...i would reccomend a wagon or a leash! seriously!! it is very busy and my little boy is very add and loves to run, so we were constantly yelling at him to stay close and don't go far...we have a 6 month old and put him in the stroller. there is no place to breast feed which is a bummer, so just did it at a bench and covered with a sweater. as for budget, yeah, it's damn expensive. we had the stroller so we smuggled in some water bottles, but of course boy child wanted lemonade, sprite, ice cream, pretty much anything that anyone else had. if you can, take a grandparent who doesn't mind holding hands and chasing the littles.

oh, and nothing was scary for him...he was fascinated by the faires and such..and like the wedding chapel. he liked the jugglers, but my father didn't, so we didn't watch...and i was pissed, but that is another thread, lol!!

i say, go for it! and take the camera!!
#9 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmommatotwo View Post
hey y'all! we went the first weekend and my 3.5 yr old loved it...i would reccomend a wagon or a leash! seriously!! it is very busy and my little boy is very add and loves to run, so we were constantly yelling at him to stay close and don't go far...we have a 6 month old and put him in the stroller. there is no place to breast feed which is a bummer, so just did it at a bench and covered with a sweater. as for budget, yeah, it's damn expensive. we had the stroller so we smuggled in some water bottles, but of course boy child wanted lemonade, sprite, ice cream, pretty much anything that anyone else had. if you can, take a grandparent who doesn't mind holding hands and chasing the littles.

oh, and nothing was scary for him...he was fascinated by the faires and such..and like the wedding chapel. he liked the jugglers, but my father didn't, so we didn't watch...and i was pissed, but that is another thread, lol!!

i say, go for it! and take the camera!!
No place to breastfeed?
I have taken my kids there and I dont remember this... they have lots of places to sit down and breastfeed comfortably... maybe they changed things this year? I havent been yet so they might have but I certainly dont remember this.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#10 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
No place to breastfeed?
I have taken my kids there and I dont remember this... they have lots of places to sit down and breastfeed comfortably... maybe they changed things this year? I havent been yet so they might have but I certainly dont remember this.
:

They don't mind if you bring in water (never had as far as I know...) or even little snacks for the littles. (bags of graham crackers etc) As long as it's not a huge igloo or anything.

And yeah, nursed all over that place! Tons of places to sit. And for us, a place to sit= a great place to nurse.

-Angela
#11 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
:

They don't mind if you bring in water (never had as far as I know...) or even little snacks for the littles. (bags of graham crackers etc) As long as it's not a huge igloo or anything.

And yeah, nursed all over that place! Tons of places to sit. And for us, a place to sit= a great place to nurse.

-Angela
yup we have always brought in water (we hate water bottles so we bring our own reuseable bottles) and have never had a problem with them, or with snacks for the gremlins.

I nurse all over that place, where are so many people there scantily clad at the faire that even breastfeeding I am showing less than they are.

#12 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
yup we have always brought in water (we hate water bottles so we bring our own reuseable bottles) and have never had a problem with them, or with snacks for the gremlins.

I nurse all over that place, where are so many people there scantily clad at the faire that even breastfeeding I am showing less than they are.
Exactly. I can nurse a squirmy toddler and still be showing less than the performers

-Angela
#13 of 20 Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 PM

We went this past wkend w/ 2yr old and 6wk old and loved every bit of it!! Tons of kiddos there too. The 'scary' guys are so involved in their own little world; they usually don't approach the kids anyway.

And w/ a 6wk old (in the middle of a growth spurt) we nursed on what felt like every bench or under every tree there. Lots of shade which makes it nice.

Have fun!!

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

#14 of 20 Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 PM

We have taken the kids every year for the past 7yrs and always have a blast. The elephant rides are the girls' favorite. I also have nursed all up and down that place with no issue. Now, changing diapers there has never been my fav thing to do.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
#15 of 20 Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_vie_en_rose View Post
Now, changing diapers there has never been my fav thing to do.
Number one reason for a stroller or wagon.

-Angela
#16 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
:

-Angela
i guess what i meant was there was no specific place to nurse in private...i'm kinda shy
#17 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmommatotwo View Post
i guess what i meant was there was no specific place to nurse in private...i'm kinda shy
Oh. I actually don't like "nursing rooms" as a rule... I think they give the impression that nursing should be hidden....

But hey, I nursed dd everywhere in public until well after 3. Any shy about nursing is long gone

-Angela
#18 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Oh. I actually don't like "nursing rooms" as a rule... I think they give the impression that nursing should be hidden....

-Angela
yeah thats how I see it as well, to me they are there so that we dont have to subject others to seeing us nurse our kids... which is nothing to be hiding IMO. At the same time I am glad that there are options or those that are not comfortable NIP.
Going back to the subject of the Ren Faire it does not have nursing rooms but it does have quiet areas in many places that are hidden from where many people are. I also know that many of the vendors dont mind if you sit in their shop and nurse for a while in the back. I have seen it done a few times.

#19 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
At the same time I am glad that there are options or those that are not comfortable NIP.

Going back to the subject of the Ren Faire it does not have nursing rooms but it does have quiet areas in many places that are hidden from where many people are. I also know that many of the vendors dont mind if you sit in their shop and nurse for a while in the back. I have seen it done a few times.

I think there is a big difference b/w being private, shy, etc and thinking one should hide.

I seem to remember someone with a really comfortable rocking chair where I nursed my 3 y o. Seems like forever ago. He's 8.5 y now. :
#20 of 20 Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM

yes, ducking into shops are a good option for nursing. I have done that here, and there when it was particularly hot and I wanted some shade.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page