Houston Homebirth Midwife? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We ended up picking Cathy Rude. We really liked her (my DH LOVED her). She answered all my questions very openly and I liked her answers.

The ONLY negative for her is she is kind of a diet totalitarian. I had vanilla ice cream on my diet diary three times in two weeks, and she told me that I should not eat it because of the empty calories. I'm sorry, who denies a pregnant woman ice cream? Other than that though, we loved her.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Yah, given a true emergency, I don't think I would care the least who was cutting me open. However, if I "out-risked" and needed to be referred to an OBGYN, I'd rather choose my own anyways. Seems pointless really.
There actually are good reasons to meet a back-up OB.

1) You are then considered their patient. This makes it so so much easier to xfer to them at the hospital. Most xfers are NOT for cut you open quickly emergencies. But even so, having an established doctor makes a huge difference in any kind of care you receive in a hospital.

2) While you may WANT to choose your own doctor, depending upon why, you may not be able to find one who will work with you in the way you want; where the back-up docs ARE usually more flexible.

I'm not saying anyone has to meet a back-up doctor. I never have . But there are good reasons to do so, even if the midwife doesn't state them.
#33 of 40 Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
We ended up picking Cathy Rude. We really liked her (my DH LOVED her). She answered all my questions very openly and I liked her answers.

The ONLY negative for her is she is kind of a diet totalitarian. I had vanilla ice cream on my diet diary three times in two weeks, and she told me that I should not eat it because of the empty calories. I'm sorry, who denies a pregnant woman ice cream? Other than that though, we loved her.
Cathy is lovely! Good luck with your birth!

And ice cream
#34 of 40 Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 PM

Cathy is strict with the diet.

I one time had Koolaid one my diet sheet. Beware of the koolaid.

But, it works. I really paid attention to what I ate and had an extremely healthy pregnancy. I had energy, very very little PP bleeding and (vain as it is) four months after I delivered was back down to my prepregnancy size.

Mama to 8 little ones by birth and adoption. S 14, E 12, G 10, C 9, K 7, N 6, R 5, Ch 3 and baby T 9 months

#35 of 40 Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
There actually are good reasons to meet a back-up OB.

1) You are then considered their patient. This makes it so so much easier to xfer to them at the hospital. Most xfers are NOT for cut you open quickly emergencies. But even so, having an established doctor makes a huge difference in any kind of care you receive in a hospital.

2) While you may WANT to choose your own doctor, depending upon why, you may not be able to find one who will work with you in the way you want; where the back-up docs ARE usually more flexible.

I'm not saying anyone has to meet a back-up doctor. I never have . But there are good reasons to do so, even if the midwife doesn't state them.
In this case the OB isn't even promising to actually be a backup for the individual patients. They have stated ( to my understanding...) that they would NOT come in if not on duty.

-Angela
#36 of 40 Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I have heard on the grapevine that Kellie insists you meet with her "backup" OB as a "thank you" (no other reason, he will not guarantee to attend if you transfer)

That is not acceptable to me, though I realize that some women wouldn't mind.

-Angela
I'm not trying to be rude, but you shouldn't say derogatory things about what you don't know. Hearing "through the grapevine" is nothing more than gossip.

Kellie does not FORCE you to see a back up OB. She says it is a good idea to see one, not as a "thank you" but in case you need to transfer to a hospital for a non-emergency. Up to 25% of first time moms transfer to the hospital for exhaustion. She gives you a list of OB's who are homebirth friendly. The guy I met with did not charge me for a visit, and yes, he guaranteed that if I needed to see him, he'd be there. In fact, he was called in at 3am the day I saw him to assist one of Kellie's patients who had been in labor for 33 hours.

me(29) and dh(27) -- SAHM to dd (8/7/8) --
Thrilled to be expecting our second baby - 4/6/11
#37 of 40 Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkristin View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but you shouldn't say derogatory things about what you don't know. Hearing "through the grapevine" is nothing more than gossip.

Kellie does not FORCE you to see a back up OB. She says it is a good idea to see one, not as a "thank you" but in case you need to transfer to a hospital for a non-emergency. Up to 25% of first time moms transfer to the hospital for exhaustion. She gives you a list of OB's who are homebirth friendly. The guy I met with did not charge me for a visit, and yes, he guaranteed that if I needed to see him, he'd be there. In fact, he was called in at 3am the day I saw him to assist one of Kellie's patients who had been in labor for 33 hours.
Actually, I'm going on information from a friend who is currently with her. I don't want to give too many details as it's not my story.

She told this mom it was mandatory and it was "as a thank you"

Does she have a 25% transfer rate for first time moms?!? That's outrageous if that's the case.

I don't see where I said anything derogatory. I simply stated what I had heard. Some women would be fine with that requirement- in fact, in other parts of the country it's standard.

-Angela
#38 of 40 Old 12-06-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkristin View Post

that is not what many others say...

I will add for clarification purposes, i know this to be true personally.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#39 of 40 Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 PM

i see you have chosen your midwife. we actually interview Cathy as well. We ended up going with one of her regular back up midwives, Natalie Wommack. We are just on the edge of Copperfield and Katy. Her house is out in Ft. Bend County. Our entire family loves her and we can't wait to give birth to baby #4 in our home!

best of wishes during your pregnancy and with the ice cream. i can totally relate!

erin

erin w

wife to john
mama to lauren samantha jonas stella and another one on the way
#40 of 40 Old 12-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Thanks for sharing.

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version