Help! I'm moving to TX at 35 weeks, need info. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm moving from Connecticut to Henrietta, TX in the next couple of weeks (I have no choice in the matter) and I am 32 weeks right now. I can't seem to find information on local hospitals (it'd be in Wichita Falls according to my husband), nor can I figure out anything about OB/Midwives in the area who have delivery privileges at said (mysteriously missing) hospitals.

Please, please anyone who can point me in the right direction, I'll be forever grateful.
#2 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 PM

Ha! Almost 11 yrs ago I moved from CT to TX, also. I'm in San Antonio, though.

Welcome to TX, the winters aren't too cold, the summers are hellaciously hot, but you get used to it.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

My family goes back generations in Wichita Falls. I was raised most of my life there and went to college there. My first daughter was born at the only hospital in Wichita Falls in 1995. My brother, mother, and husband were also all born there. That hospital is United Regional Health Care Center. My second daughter was born at home due in part to the care I received from the hospital and my OB. I got my degree in Respiratory Therapy at the University there and did the majority of my clinical rotations at United Regional Health Care Center. My best advice to you is to stay as far away from that place as possible. If I may ask why are you moving to Henrietta? Have you ever been there? I looked on the Associaton of Texas midwives site and found four midwives that serve Clay county. Ann Crowell and her website is www.gentlebeginningsbc.com, Judith Hynds and her website is http://inhishandsmidwifery.com, Vanessa Gyron and her website is www.cleburnebirthingcenter.com, and Melody Morrow website is www.dfwmidwives.com.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the area. I no longer live there. We reside just north of Austin now. But we spend every Thanksgiving in Wichita.

Take Care,

Lisa
Senior Midwife Student
#4 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. Right now I am looking into Inanna Birth & Women's Care in Denton http://www.inannabirth.com/index.html and hoping that it's as good as it looks. I did find those midwives you mentioned and looked into that as well, but most of them are a bit far to travel while in labor I think (I labor pretty quickly), even Denton is stretching it a bit...

As for why I am moving to Henrietta, unfortunately I have no choice in the matter, my husband's family lives there and (long story short) there is absolutely no where else that we can go. I've never been there myself, but I've heard stories.

Thanks again for your advice, I would not have known to avoid URHCC otherwise. I am looking for as little medical intervention in my birth experience as possible though, and was pretty leery about it to begin with.
#5 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 AM

I hope you like Inanna! It is cute little birth center and very close to Denton Presby if you need anything. Jean is a very nice lady and passionate about what she does. Dr. Cummings works with Jean (unless you are a VBAC) and he is wonderful too.

Good luck and happy moving!
Quote:
the summers are hellaciously hot, but you get used to it.
I don't know...I have lived her 10 years now and I am still definitly NOT used to the heat!

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
#6 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am glad you found something that might work for you. Are you wanting a birth center birth or a homebirth? If you are looking for a birth with little intervention then don't go to Wichita. The hospital there loves the epidural. When I was in labor with my first the only thing the nurse would ask me when she came in to check on me was when I would like my epidural. I had told her countless times I was doing natural child birth and she looked at me like I had two heads and then would tell me, oh all you new mom's think you want to do that but you really don't. And as soon as my baby was born they whisked it away for more than eight hours. The doctors in Wichita also have a high induction rate.

Please let me know how things turn out for you.

Good luck with your move.

Lisa
#7 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, that hospital is out. Definitely. I'm really looking forward to checking out Inanna. As a matter of fact, honestly, it's the only thing about this move that I am looking forward to. I'm not comfortable with the idea of homebirth at this point, mainly because I'll be living with my in-laws whom I have never met. It's not my home. As wonderful as they may be, I've only ever spoken to his sister and his mother on the phone and even then only a couple of times at most.

I just moved back to CT from Buffalo, NY a few months ago and had planned on staying here forever. Then I got this bombshell dropped on me and all of a sudden I have just a couple weeks to move out of the house my grandfather built.

As for the heat, I spent three years in Phoenix, AZ and that was pretty miserable even without the humidity. I'm definitely a northern climes sort of girl, I'd decided after AZ that I was never going to live anywhere in the US that wasn't the Northeast, but... well life does tend to surprise us. Hopefully, with a few years time Cody and I can come back up here and buy our land and build the house we were planning.
#8 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 AM

I am currently seeing Betty at Innana (I saw Jean when Betty was on vacation) and both of them are absolutely wonderful. Lynne, the co-owner and birth assistant is also wonderful. There is another midwife who I have no experience with, but if everyone else is any indication, I'm sure she's great too.

The birth center itself, is so comfy and relaxed-a completely different experience then I had with my DS (born in a hospital).You're further along then me, so you'll get to actually birth there first, but I honestly can not say enough about them.

Good luck and I hope they are what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miseraya View Post
Thank you for the advice. Right now I am looking into Inanna Birth & Women's Care in Denton http://www.inannabirth.com/index.html and hoping that it's as good as it looks. I did find those midwives you mentioned and looked into that as well, but most of them are a bit far to travel while in labor I think (I labor pretty quickly), even Denton is stretching it a bit...

As for why I am moving to Henrietta, unfortunately I have no choice in the matter, my husband's family lives there and (long story short) there is absolutely no where else that we can go. I've never been there myself, but I've heard stories.

Thanks again for your advice, I would not have known to avoid URHCC otherwise. I am looking for as little medical intervention in my birth experience as possible though, and was pretty leery about it to begin with.
#9 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlegirl View Post

I don't know...I have lived her 10 years now and I am still definitly NOT used to the heat!
Well, I'll rephrase, because you're right! You get used to expecting the horrible heat.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page