From public to home school - ABQ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-30-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Morning ladies -
I know this is such an active group in Albuquerque and that this is probably just the right group to answer my question.
I am looking to move back to TN from NM and am thinking that the smoothest way to do it will be to pull kids out of public school here and enroll them as homeschoolers. That way we can keep working and take our time about finding a home and where we need to settle in TN without enrolling and reenrolling the kids numerous times.
In Tn when a family homeschools that "have" to be enrolled in a program, though. Is that the case here in NM? What are the steps necessary to take when I disenroll the kids from public school and enroll as homeschoolers? Will NM let me do that in the middle of the year? Should I go ahead and enroll them in a program so that TN doesn't set us backward a grade?
Any suggestions are totally welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm pretty sure in NM all you have to do is send a letter informing the school district (might be someone else though) that you will be homeschooling. I'm not sure how that works during the school year (if your kids have to be enrolled while you send your letter or if you could pull them and then send a letter) but I do know that you are allowed to pull them in the middle of the year. Have you tried any of the online homeschooling groups? They'd know for sure.

Mama of three.

#3 of 4 Old 10-30-2008, 12:50 PM

Barb-

Hey whats going on girl? Moving back ?

Call me !!!!

Marie

âGo confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life youâve imagined.â H. D. Thoreau
#4 of 4 Old 10-30-2008, 03:08 PM

http://www.ped.state.nm.us/HomeSchools/index.html

You have to inform them the April before the school year starts or 30 days within establishing your homeschool.
No curriculum is necessary. They used to do mandatory testing in 4th and 8th grades, but I don't believe they do that anymore. (I have found that posted on other websites for NM requirements, but it's not listed on the NM Dept. of Education website.)

I would just go ahead and homeschool them here. If you decide to homeschool or public school in TN, just let them know that they were homeschooled to NM law and that you didn't have a set curriculum but that you want them put in the grade they're supposed to be in.
Good luck and have a safe move!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page