Lactation Consultant in Houston metro area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have one they would recommend? The closer to Katy the better, but more importantly I need one who isn't going to give me the same story as everyone else about BFing and leave me to figure it out myself after giving a few tips. Umm I read all the books, I know everything they are telling me, I need some hands on help though! I need one who will stick with me until I get it down! I REALLY need some help, I am starting to get plugged ducts and possibly mastitis soon if I don't get this worked out quickly! I have seen 2 (free) LC's and neither were very helpful, I really want to BF!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 PM

I didn't use her as a lactation consultant, but I met with this woman and really liked her. I have another friend that had her as a doula and loves her. She's near you, too. Good luck, mama.

CONNIE BLOKKUM RN, BSN, IBCLC
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
23315 Leaf Ridge Dr, Katy, TX 77494
phone 281 395-6652, cell 281 851-3330 fax 1-262-995-6652
[email protected]

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#3 of 4 Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Call your child's pediatrician immediately and see if he/she will write you a referral to a lactation consultant. This way, the insurance company may pay for it. This is what I had to end up doing--with both my boys. I, too, had read everything. I needed someone to stick their face in my boob and see what the problem was! Course, our pedi's practice is very pro-b.f.ing so that helped.

Went to a great lactation dept. at a local hospital. Loved both the women I saw there and was able to go on and be successful with both of them (still nursing my 16 mos. old!)

Our insurance, I don't think, ended up paying for it (can't hardly remember; was too drugged up from the C/S to retain that info.!) but it was only $100 and while that's not EXACTLY a drop in the bucket, I considered a great investment in my children's health. Even if you odn't get the referral from your pedi. and don't mind paying the $100 or whatever it is (you can call first to find out), just make the appt. on your own. The hospital I delivered at only did inpatient consulting and they weren't all that great while we were checked in to begin with. Go to a place that has outpatient services (duh, I guess).

Best of luck! You can do this!!! Have you called your local LLL yet? they were a tremendous help to me, too!!!!!

It just takes the courage to call all these strangers and explain to them that your nipples are killing you and you need help HA!

You can do it!!!!!!
#4 of 4 Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 PM

Have you talked to LLL Katy? There are some good leaders out there.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page