Looking for a pro-intact Midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know she exist because my ex-Midwife told me of her. I emailed her asking what her name is because I'm very interested in interviewing this MW. She hasn't responded. I hope she does soon.

Does anyone here know of a DFW MW who is intact friendly?

This is important to me.

There use to be a great MW who is very against circumcision. Had it not been for her my best friend, who went to her when pregnant with her first son 8yrs ago, her son would be circ'd. She is SO GLAD she was given the information. She was spared the grief.

This MW moved out of the country. She was the only pro-intact MW I know of.

I'm still haunted by the babies in my ex-MW's office who were circ'd. One was withering in pain as his mother was wiping away feces off his open raw wound. The other baby was freshly circ'd four days prior and I could clearly tell that baby was STILL in SHOCK and poor thing was traumatized. :
I was there to give MW intact care info and this other mother with her freshly circ'd newborn was right there. She over heard what I was talking about and thats when she told me about her son. I asked her if she was Jewish because I wanted to be careful about what I said. Then, she says that she wished she hadn't done that. It was heartbreaking.

The reason I went to a MW in the first place was so I could avoid this. I sought out for something natural to avoid everything so unatural. I didn't have this problem with my first MW who is nothing but wonderful and very pro-intact.

I may just keep my money and UC but my dh thinks I'm going on a suicide attempt. No offense to UCers. I greatly admire what you do and ultimately wish I can do that.

So, if I'm going to have a MW she better support genital integrity. Not only that, instead of her asking "Do you desire to circ?" or something equally suggestive She instructs them on how easy it is to care for the intact male child.

I really hope she's out there. Please lend me a recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Just a question. Does it really matter if the midwife isn't vocal about what she believes but just lets each client do the research for themselves? We don't talk about it at our office unless we are specifically asked. We are not judgmental if a client wants to do the opposite of what we believe. Would someone like that be acceptable or do you need someone who is very vocal about not circumsizing?

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
Just a question. Does it really matter if the midwife isn't vocal about what she believes but just lets each client do the research for themselves? We don't talk about it at our office unless we are specifically asked. We are not judgmental if a client wants to do the opposite of what we believe. Would someone like that be acceptable or do you need someone who is very vocal about not circumsizing?
I'm going to try to answer your question the best I can.

If a Midwife is secretly FOR circumcision and somehow I knew about it later I just couldn't relate to her. I'd feel betrayed. Her bias could mean a potential hatred towards me. And there would go good prenatal care and her treatment could effect the entire birth process. Her honesty on this issue is important to me.

Maybe I'm being really paranoid but if you knew my story you'd understand.

I don't know if it was JUST bad practice or this happened because she truely resented me for my views. She pulled on my cord to get the placenta out. I told her not to do that. I said I wasn't ready to expell the placenta. She did it anyways. Half my uterus came out with the placenta. Then she tells me, after I was 8 weeks postpartum during an exam, I looked like a 60 year old women, "down there". My babymoon was shot to hell!

There is a special relationship between a client and a Midwife. A mother will naturally develop a bond with her. In a trusted relationship, there is honesty. One can lie through omission and a mother flooded with instincts can sense this.
I did sense it but it didn't dawn on me to connect the "What the heck is wrong with this picture" until it was too late.

I believe a good Midwife embraces the philosophy of WHOLElistic Care. She desires to preserve the mother and child as nature made them and viewing the intact human body as NORMAL would no doubt be apart of her practice.

I just don't want to run into the wrong kind of MW for me. I made that mistake the last time.

Even tho my area is 50/50 on circ rates I still live in a circ culture. Unless, I'm in an intact friendly Country, I worry about our health care providers. I rather not be reminded of this atrocity when I'm with my Midwife. It really effects my pregnancy AND postpartum recovery.

If my first MW could be pro-intact and nearly ALL her clients left their sons intact and still had a LARGE portfolio with loyal clients, then there is NO reason a Midwife has to jeopardize her honesty just to win clients.

I hope this makes sense.

I think if a MW is truly informing her clients just as my first MW did for her clients, there wouldn't be so many clients inclined to subject their new baby to this primitive, barbaric & unnecessary practice. Take my best friend for example. She was an extreme advocate FOR circumcision. Somehow she ended up leaving her sons intact and has written books on the subject.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Hope you find her!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:11 PM

I have to say, I have worked with lots of midwives and I have never seen any that encouraged their clients to circ. I would say pro-intact midwives are the norm, rather than unusual, especially among the homebirth midwives. Obviously some may be more vocal in educating moms in this are than others, but midwives don't do circs and most I know have not circed their own sons. I do think most will pass along info about mohlems that do in home circs if the client asks about that option.

It is hard to imagine that there is a midwife out there that won't take clients simply on the basis of circ plans. That would rule out a lot of their client potential and whole religious and ethnic groups. But I can assure you there are midwives out there that are supportive intact boys.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about specific midwive's views. In my doula role I don't discuss circs with the midwives all that often, but it has come up from time to time with a few.

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:57 PM

I will go out on a limb here and say that at least 95 percent of midwives are very anti-circ. I'd have trouble even imagining a midwife who advocated routine circumcision.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM

There were more issues with your mw that had nothing to do with circ like pulling the placenta? telling you that your yoni looked like a 60yo? What mw does the former and what "anyone" would say the latter?

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned

Have you found anyone yet? I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with your midwife.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
There were more issues with your mw that had nothing to do with circ like pulling the placenta? telling you that your yoni looked like a 60yo? What mw does the former and what "anyone" would say the latter?
You're right. There were more issues than just the circ issue. This is why I would want to interview any potential MW who is passionately against circ. I have to take into consideration her over all practice.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
Have you found anyone yet? I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with your midwife.
Actually, I haven't.

I haven't been actively looking either.

But I did find this MW who is very pro-intact. I'm told "she is a very smart lady and is very committed to her cause". My former MW emailed me and said this MW and I have a lot in common.

But she lives four hrs away from me.

I've been meaning to call her to ask her if she could rec. a MW from my area.

Here is the MW that lives 4hrs away in case someone from her town might be interested:
Her name is Camilla May.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 AM

I would like to find an OB who doesn't do circs that will do VBAC's in the Houston area. So your quest should certainly be easier I would think! Hope you can find someone. What an awful experience with the first one. Glad you came through it though.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlegirl View Post
. I would say pro-intact midwives are the norm, rather than unusual, especially among the homebirth midwives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
I will go out on a limb here and say that at least 95 percent of midwives are very anti-circ. I'd have trouble even imagining a midwife who advocated routine circumcision.

: :

All midwives here that I'm aware of are pretty pro-intact. It kind of goes with the territory.

Camilla is in good company down here

-Angela
Old 11-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I would like to find an OB who doesn't do circs that will do VBAC's in the Houston area. So your quest should certainly be easier I would think! Hope you can find someone. What an awful experience with the first one. Glad you came through it though.
Good luck! I only know a small handful of VBAC friendly OBs in town... and I would bet most do circs.... sigh

-Angela
Old 11-23-2008, 01:55 AM

http://www.inannabirth.com/

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremco View Post
I checked out that site since I'm not familiar with it and it's kind of in my area of TX. I'm thinking this midwife is not anti-circ, or certainly not the type of intactivist the OP is looking for.
Here's why (taken from her website):

What if I want a circumcision for my baby boy?

The American Academy of Pediatric does not recommend routine circumcision. Studies have shown that there is little benefit to this procedure. However, the risks of the procedure are few. If you desire a circumcision for your son, Jean can do this simple procedure in the office. She uses comfort measures as well as local anesthesia to make the experience less stressful to your baby and to you. She generally prefers to wait eight days after birth to ensure your baby is nursing well and his blood clotting capabilities are at their peak.

:

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
However, the risks of the procedure are few
:Puke: Waving a big ol' BS flag on that statment. Definatly not an anti circ MW anti circ to me means they take a stance saying we dont do it and we do not agree with it at all.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Nurse View Post
I checked out that site since I'm not familiar with it and it's kind of in my area of TX. I'm thinking this midwife is not anti-circ, or certainly not the type of intactivist the OP is looking for.
Here's why (taken from her website):

What if I want a circumcision for my baby boy?

The American Academy of Pediatric does not recommend routine circumcision. Studies have shown that there is little benefit to this procedure. However, the risks of the procedure are few. If you desire a circumcision for your son, Jean can do this simple procedure in the office. She uses comfort measures as well as local anesthesia to make the experience less stressful to your baby and to you. She generally prefers to wait eight days after birth to ensure your baby is nursing well and his blood clotting capabilities are at their peak.

:

Wow.... I didn't know any MWs did circs. How wretched.

-Angela
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
Actually, I haven't.

I haven't been actively looking either.

But I did find this MW who is very pro-intact. I'm told "she is a very smart lady and is very committed to her cause". My former MW emailed me and said this MW and I have a lot in common.

But she lives four hrs away from me.

I've been meaning to call her to ask her if she could rec. a MW from my area.

Here is the MW that lives 4hrs away in case someone from her town might be interested:
Her name is Camilla May.
I really like Camilla.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, I don't know of any OBs that circ. It's the pediatricians job. So, I wouldn't worry about the OB opinion on circ... they don't even assess the baby after passing him off after delivery. I would find an OB that will do a VBAC and focus your ped search on one that doesn't circ (or at least doesn't push circ) and is knowledgeable about caring for a non-circed child.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM

Have you talked to Molly Germash up in Peaster? Or Bonnie Kitchen in the midcities? Bonnie is from England so isn't from a culture that has traditionally circed. Though, I don't know that either is an activist per se.

Inanna is run by CNMs, that is why they can do circs.

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
Actually, I don't know of any OBs that circ. It's the pediatricians job. So, I wouldn't worry about the OB opinion on circ... they don't even assess the baby after passing him off after delivery. I would find an OB that will do a VBAC and focus your ped search on one that doesn't circ (or at least doesn't push circ) and is knowledgeable about caring for a non-circed child.
My OB did circ's. I didn't know she did at the time but two days in a row she came into my room and said 'are we circing him, it's only cosmetic, not medically necessary.' We said NO NO NO NO of course. She passed away so I am in search of a new ob/gyn. I do remember last time I was in the practice I say a drawer labelled 'circ trays' and I was pretty horrified. I was under the impression this was common enough though.

I guess I'd be lucky enough to find one who'd let me do a VBAC.

Luckily we have a wonderful ped. for my guy who I would think is anti-circ.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlegirl View Post
Have you talked to Molly Germash up in Peaster? Or Bonnie Kitchen in the midcities? Bonnie is from England so isn't from a culture that has traditionally circed. Though, I don't know that either is an activist per se.

Inanna is run by CNMs, that is why they can do circs.
Molly Germash mentions Circumcision as an option on her website. I've heard good things about her otherwise. I just WISH TO GOD every single American Midwife would just hand out pro-intact info such as the * "Foreskin Care - A Parents Guide" brochures instead of ASS-U-ME that they might want to remove apart of their son's healthy and functional sexual organs.

I'm going to call Camilla May tomorrow to see if she knows of anyone in my area that owns her familiar virtues.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious flaw in Inanna's Birth Center Night Nurse. I'll be sure to steer clear from them.

* Boys Health Advisory
1970 North River Road
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM

I know Molly and she is an awesome midwife.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

Old 12-04-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed Molly to see if she was taking on new clients from my area. She responded and asked that I call her. It was a lovely letter. Before I call her I called Camellia May to get her perspective on on the MW's in my area. She mentioned Dina Warric (unsure of the spelling of her last name). Is anyone familiar with that name? It sounds much like the name of the MW that past away a few years ago. I can't find her on the ATM Midwife search.

Something else I found out...

MW Ann Crowell has a very high circ rate. Her office is just 8 min. away from me. She has someone come to her office offering the procedure and does them in her office!

"All my clients want this!" she says. She sounds very proud of that too.

One client of hers I know, (my dh works with her dh) chose not to circumcise and they just had a baby boy. I know for sure not ALL of her cleints chooses to alter their ds's private parts.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
She mentioned Dina Warric (unsure of the spelling of her last name). Is anyone familiar with that name? It sounds much like the name of the MW that past away a few years ago. I can't find her on the ATM Midwife search.
Dinah Waranch, CNM: www.dallasmidwife.com

User Tag List