Homebirth in Switzerland - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone here in Switzerland? If so can you tellme how it works for homebirth there? We will be moving in May/June and we weren't considering CH before but dp found a job that interests him so now it is becoming a serious possibility. Is hb common, is it allowed by the medical system, is it expensive? TIA

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM

Home birth is no problem in Switzerland, and is even paid for by general health insurance (which is mandatory). Good luck with the job!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! How is it there in general? i have been there for the day here and there (when I lived in Italy) but never for any extended stay. And living somewhere is so different from visiting.

Do they offer language programs to help foreigners learn German? Do you know off hand if they have partner visas (my and dp are not married. We may get married when we go to Italy)?

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#4 of 5 Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post
Thanks for the info! How is it there in general? i have been there for the day here and there (when I lived in Italy) but never for any extended stay. And living somewhere is so different from visiting.

Do they offer language programs to help foreigners learn German? Do you know off hand if they have partner visas (my and dp are not married. We may get married when we go to Italy)?
It's an amazingly beautiful country...and the standard of living is great. It can be a tough social climate for some, though...it depends a lot on your personality I think. And where you live in the country. There are plenty of ways to go about learning German if you plan to live in the Germanic part, but since the people actually speak a dialect of German, it can take a VERY long time to learn.

I am fairly sure they do not offer partner visas.

good luck!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Hi,
My experience so far with Switzerland has been good. We are only here for like almost 8 weeks, so not that long. So far we haven't run into difficult or hard things.
My partner and I aren't married, but we haven't had any problem with the kids and me living here. There is a but to that. I am Dutch, which makes things in general much easier because of treaties.

I also think the country is gorgeous. The standard of living is very good. There is an abundance of organic produce, dairy & meat available at every supermarket.

I already speak German, but not the German they use in this area. So far everybody has been very nice about it and just spoke German to me and not their local dialect, which is different all over the place. There is no one Swiss German. Here in Canton Bern there are already 4 different dialects that I know of and that only in the last couple of weeks that we have lived here.

When we registered ourselves we right away got a leaflet on learning German and also on learning to speak the local dialect.
We are going to try to get a teacher to come to our house and teach the lot of us. But first we need to get some other stuff sorted.

HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page