Breastfeeding and AP in Denmark? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone point me to some literature about AP and breastfeeding practices in Denmark? Are there policies in place that protect a mother's right to breastfeed?

Also, if you're in the country, can you give me a general idea about the attitude towards AP and breastfeeding?

I'm doing some personal research but I don't know where to start....

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

In Sweden (where I am, far south, abouth 1/2 hours drive from Denmark) and Denmark breastfeeding is expected. More and more people DON'T though, I think this is a new fashion from the US! I breastfeed everywhere in public. It is a bit lonely, as it isn't done much anymore (10-15 years ago NIP was the norm, now most mothers feel too embarassed). People are unlikely to harass you though, at least here in Sweden, a Look is the worst that could happen. They're more likely to talk behind your back . However, almost everyone plans to breastfeed, and in Sweden 90% are breastfeeding at 3 weeks.

AP is actually rather mainstream. Almost everyone has a BabyBjorn, and slings and other carriers are quite well-known (just seen as complicated, and maybe a bit hippy by most). It is mainstream to have your baby sleep in your bedroom, at least for the first year. And I know lots of people who co-sleep (it often goes with breastfeeding - practical). Gentle Discipline is quite common. There are people who do CIO - but I don't actually know anyone here who tried it, and I knew lots in NZ!

Unless you speak Danish it might be difficult to find stuff to read, but I'll look around.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Hi - I just moved to Denmark myself, from Oregon.  I don't know the policies on breastfeeding officially, but I've breastfed my baby in almost every restaurant and store I've been too.  I even breastfed him in the middle of an appointment at the bank!  On the train, everywhere.  I haven't got any funny looks, in fact I've got lots of smiles.

User Tag List