Anyone near Vrchlabi, Czech Republic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

My husband's job is taking us to Vrchlabi in the Czech Republic - we'll be moving there in the next few months from the US. I'm very excited and am hoping there are some moms in the area to connect with. Our two year old daughter is bright and energetic while our 2 month old son is a calm, peaceful soul. I've never been to CZ but I'm pleased about living so close to the mountains again (I lived in Colorado for 15 years and moved to the East Coast 11 months ago) for more skiing, hiking and cycling. It looks like a beautiful location! Is anyone out there who is close by? I'd love to get to know people in the area.

Warm Regards,
Lisa

Stay-at-home mother of a vibrant two year old daughter and a peaceful 2 month old son.
#2 of 6 Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 AM

Hello Lisa,

I know you posted this quite awhile ago but just wondering how the move went to the Czech Republic? We are moving there in May to a little town called Cesky Krumlov with our two small children. My partner and I have both been before (my partner lived there for a bit and this is where we met) and fell in love with it, thus the move . However, as the move is getting closer I'm getting more and more worried about the language barrier. Have you learned the language? I would love to hear how your adventure went if you have some time.

Thanks a bunch!
Crystal
#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Hi! I'm in Prague and have been on and off for almost ten years (6 years in Cz, 3 in the US). My boys were both born here and are loving being back... we've been back about 5 months now. They love the focus on nature and being outdoors as well as the amazing playgrounds here in Prague! I love these too, as well plus the lack of intense commercialization we faced in the States. The boys are learning Czech, as they go to a bilingual Montessori school with mostly Cz kids. Sadly, my Cz is still lacking but I get by fine.

Crystal, Cesky Krumlov is a beautiful city and I imagine quite expat friendly as it's so touristy. Sorry, Lisa, I'm sure about Vrchlabi but like you said, it seems like a beautiful location with tons of outdoor fun. I recently went to a popular mountain town and it was VERY kid friendly.

Good luck and if you're ever in Prague feel free to PM me!
#4 of 6 Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM

I know this is an older thread, but I just noticed it now. We're in Prague, DS was born here and we're bilingual (Czech-English).

There are alot of things I love about this country and I have family and blood ties to it, so I see things a bit different than expats generally do.

I love the architecture and the beautiful towns and cities, I love the mountains and how easy it is to just hop on a train and get out into the country, hike around. It's in the middle of Europe, crossroads of east and west. I feel very comfortable here, always have.

I see the good and the bad, maybe that's for another thread, though.

Feel free to PM if any of you are in Prague.
#5 of 6 Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM

I just lurked on here, and am pleasantly surprised that some US mamas actually live in the CR.  Prague is my home town!  I kind of miss it, in some ways.  I guess I just wanted to say, if any of you need help with anything Czech related let me know! :)

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there,

Wow - I've missed all of these responses!  It's been a long time since I posted my original inquiry and while I've not found any others on this forum living in Vrchlabi, I am pleased to see others here that live in CZ.  We are still living in Vrchlabi, still struggling with the language barrier (but take lessons that help immensely), and still enjoying this experience.  I've had ups and downs regarding culture shock but am sold on the European lifestyle.  Crystal, are you still in Cesky Krumlov?  Euromom and East Carolina, are you still in Prague?  I'd love to expand my social circle with other moms.

PM me, if you'd like to stay in touch and share expat experiences.

Take care,

Lisa

Stay-at-home mother of a vibrant two year old daughter and a peaceful 2 month old son.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page