international travel with a babe (e.g. under 6 months) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone had much experience on long haul international flights with a baby between 5-8 months of age?

We would like to visit my family in the US but the flight for us is LONG (anywhere from 15-22 hours "air time" e.g. not counting layovers etc).

I would love to hear if anyone has any personal experience (good, bad or ugly) with long haul, multi-leg flights, airlines to book with or avoid and what the policies are for flying with a child under 6 months (e.g. do we have to buy him his own ticket? does he needs his own 'seat'? etc)

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#2 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 01:54 PM

I've done international flights with one child, when he was about 6 months old, then two children, then three young children...

I have never done as long a flight as you are talking about but from my experience, traveling with one little one is not too bad. Pretty easy actually if you breastfeed and babywear. When our dc were under two we generally did not buy their own seat, but it is safer if they have their carseat in their own seat. Although, if you manage to book a bulkhead seat (the ones in the front with no searts in front of you) you can request a baby bassinet that attaches to the wall in front of you, and has safety straps.

If you do not book a seat for the baby you generally only have to pay the airport taxes and fees.

Where in Europe are you? Would you consider taking a train (or even another flight) to Paris or Frankfurt, spending the night and then flying to the US from there? That would cut down on your in air time and give you a bit of a break. We have taken the night train from East Germany to Paris and back a couple of times, and also from Paris to Trento -in eastern Italy- and back and it's actually a pretty nice and not too expensive way to travel.
#3 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
EVC

We traveled Yerevan-Amsterdam-San Francisco when dd was about 2 months old. It wasn't bad. We didn't get her her own seat, but KLM had a kind of bassinet type thing that I was able to put her when I needed a break, and during take off and landing when she was on my lap, they had a kind of seat belt extension that attached on to mine then went around her tummy so that she was strapped in.

I think my only piece of "not obvious" advice is to bring a change of clothes. Dd had a huge poop blow out during landing and by the time I was able to get to the airport bathroom to change her, it was all over both of us. Yuck.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#4 of 7 Old 02-15-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

We are leaving tomorrow to visit my parents in the US. DS will be 9 weeks old. The flight time is 15 hours (not including 1 layover).. .

We requested a bassinet/bulk head seat (which took about an hour to do yesterday as I was not aware it was not automatically requested when we booked the baby ticket )...

Ill update when/if we survive. wish me luck

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 AM

We live in Bali, and we flew already two times with our baby from Bali to Rome and back again. Each time about 18 hours in the air plus few hours transfert. The first time our daughter was 5 and the second time 8 months. We used the Singapore Airlines and requested the bassinet (very handy!). It really depends how's your baby and how do you feel. For us it was quite cool, Koko didn't complain much and slept nicely in the bassinet-crib. When she was awake we tried to be very imaginative and played with her and made her laugh - all not too loud. We walked her and stood up often and, well, made her company and let her feel that we're ok, everything's ok, we are just a little bit squeezed up in the sky... That little bed in front of you is so good to have, make sure that your agent or yourself book it before flying. There aren't so many on the board. I did bring the homeopathic Rescue Remedy for babies just in case, and Nux Vomica if she had stomac problems. I was breastfeeding her so the food wasn't a problem. But, she did regurgitate a little bit. During the last few hours, Koko was totally awake and both her daddy and I were exhausted and sleepy. She was sitting in my lap, with her seat belt attached to mine all energy and playfulness while I was litterally sleeping with one eye open. Hilarious... We'll have to fly again soon and she'll be 11 months, able to crowl, and standing up all by herself, we'll see then... Maybe she'll start to walk right there on the plain?!!
#6 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM

I've traveled from the US to Eastern Europe with a 22 month old and it wasn't too bad. They had those little movies on the backs of the seats to pick through and that was helpful. I've also traveled with a 2 year old and a 1 month old from Eastern Europe back the US and I and the kids were all sick with really bad colds but we made it through it. It really wasn't that bad except the having a cold part. I'm not sure about the exact age group you are dealing with but I think as long as you bring snacks - especially if your kid is a lap child as they won't feed them anything on the flight unless you get "lucky" and find some nice flight attendants that'll give you cookies or crackers or something. And if your kid is picky, you'd want the snacks that you know they will eat with you. Also a couple new toys wouldn't hurt and a couple baby books. Sucking on a breast, pacifier, bottle or sippy cup during take off and landing may help with the ear pressure.

I like the baby b'air for a lap child, but it's not always convenient on a long flight. The flight would be doable in my opinion. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 02:30 PM

Just remembered that US has those unhealthy/revealing body scanners or invasive pat-downs now. Until they get rid of those, I wouldn't fly anywhere unless 100% necessary. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page