Tell me about Edinburgh - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are considering a move (a HUGE! move) to Edinburgh. I've been reading up on things all day (finally narrowed down the city/area we want though we still need to narrow that down more from the sounds of it) and have a couple questions I just can't seem to find answers for.

1. We are currently in the US. I've been on the RAS stuff and have googled every search term I can think of. Will we need to vaccinate in order to come over?

2. Do we need to have clean/good credit to come over? I know some places can be particular on that thing.

3. We own a business and would be moving our "office" with us. I can find the info for coming there in search of a job but nothing really on coming over with a business. Is there a points system for that as well? If not, how do we get the ok to come over?

4. Which areas are going to be more country like but still close enough for public transportation?

5. How are the washers and dryers? Silly I know but everything I've read about them in terms of the England area they suck and take forever. Same with showers (one site suggested buying a "power shower" to get any sort of good shower [England area again]).

6. For those who have been to the US, what state/city is it similar to?

7. For those who moved there from the US, what did you do with your belongings? We've moved enough times without any of our stuff that I'm really burnt out on the whole, "make due and replace things once we get there" thinking. It never works as neatly as you hope. How much is it to ship things over?

8. What's the money limit on what you can bring over? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I'm sure I have moer questions but my brain has turned to swiss cheese for the night.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#2 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM

Sorry, I still owe you answers.

1) no.
2) No, but you will need to have enough money to live off. Have you got your visa application in yet?
4) There's a pretty good public transport system.
5) Frontloaders rock. Better in terms of water efficiency, good in terms of energy efficiency, and none of this crap of wash "routines". Put it in, turn the dial to 30 degrees (40 for nappies, 15 for darks) and away you go.

I love Edinburgh, but it's not the most child-friendly city in the world, and not just because walking anywhere is a PITA. For my money, I'd go just south of the English border to Newcastle/ Sunderland/ Durham.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#3 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM

I can't help out with any questions about Edinburgh. The cheapest way to ship belongings is by container ship. You can either do pallets or a container. Pallets are pretty cheap, and you can get quite a few boxes on them. Prices are by volume, not weight - don't know about containers, which you would need if you plan on shipping furniture. You do have to plan for at least 6 weeks before your belongings arrive.

For sending books you can also do media mail sacks through the post office. Not incredibly cheap but cheaper than regular mail.
#4 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post

2) No, but you will need to have enough money to live off. Have you got your visa application in yet?
We don't yet. We still haven't fully decided (DH is leaving it up to me due to some little details) and we haven't officially picked a place. Everyone keeps telling us differently. How long does the process take do you know? Once we have Visas are we free to come over whenever we want? I assume the girls all need one too?

Give more**Expect Less
#5 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM

We loved it visiting with a kid - great playground in the park at the base of the castle. Other than that, no idea

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#6 of 11 Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Dh and I got to talking today...what are the schools like there? I plan(ned) on homeschooling the girls, largely in part because our education here sucks a dirty backside. To put it mildly. I'm not opposed to public school if it's good quality. So how is the school system there? Should I stick to my plan of homeschooling?

Give more**Expect Less
#7 of 11 Old 01-17-2010, 12:07 PM

cross post in the UK forum - there are some posters who live in Scotland, but they might not see your post here.
#8 of 11 Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlet View Post
Dh and I got to talking today...what are the schools like there? I plan(ned) on homeschooling the girls, largely in part because our education here sucks a dirty backside. To put it mildly. I'm not opposed to public school if it's good quality. So how is the school system there? Should I stick to my plan of homeschooling?
We are in process of moving to Scotland, the visa process is not bad if you have your ducks in a row. you will need to have the correct amount in cash savings for 3 months or something prior to applying if you are coming over on the points based system. We had to (pay for) and get our 2 kids visas, age 2 and 5. We are shipping our stuff in boxes, found a company we really liked and its been good so far! We will see in 6 weeks how the boxes are
I home school and will continue to do so but I have heard (from multiple reputable sources) really good things about the public system there and would be comfortable putting my kids in.

My husband just got there yesterday and is learning the ropes and finding housing, we will join him as soon as our visas come through, hopefully end of the month!

mom to Zoe 12-04 and Titus 5-07 both:
#9 of 11 Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM

we are in the middle of the visa process and so far have not had to prove or get vaccinations. They did not ask about that at all. DH had to write the vaccinations that he has had but that was in connection to the job and not the visa.

mom to Zoe 12-04 and Titus 5-07 both:
#10 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM

mangapen--I'm curious what your husband has found out so far. What does he think of Scotland? I'm in Sweden currently where suddenly homeschoolers are being persecuted, so I sometimes think of the UK for moving to. Scotland sounds dreamy (just a little cold).
We were homeschoolers in the US, we just moved back home and my 8 year-old starts school in two days. I tell myself it's a crash course in Swedish, that's all.
#11 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 PM

I don't have answers to your particular questions, but I will say that it is a fantastic city and I'm incredibly jealous that you'll be living there! Pre-maternity leaves, I spent the better part of 3 years there in the course of my job. It's one of my favorite cities on the globe, and I seriously considered moving there full time. Hard to explain, but the weight of that town just feels so good to me. Enjoy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page