Homeschooling in Europe--easy countries? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 10-28-2012, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I am so happy I found you and this thread.
We have two sons (4 years and 8 months) and currently live in new Zealand. It's a beautiful place, but no longer the free country I wanted to raise my children in. I want to homeschool with like-minded families. I have been looking for a possible country to move to. Mallorca sounds amazing. If anybody could please help me by providing any information on moving there (is it Palma where the main homeschooling community is?), living there etc. I have no idea at this stage, any info would be so much appreciated.
I'm really excited to have found this. I feel like there is hope for me to raise my children how I hoped to be able to.
Love and peace
From Alicia
#32 of 41 Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM

I don't know if this will be any use to you or not, but Scotland is a very easy, relaxed place to homeschool. There aren't even any official visits or checks to make sure the children are learning what they should. They are trying to make it more strict in England and Wales.

#33 of 41 Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks very much, Nettlesoup for that information smile.gif i will keep it in mind.
#34 of 41 Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

I keep reading different things about Spain-whether it is illegal or not.  I am relocating to the Barcelona (Sitges) area in August 2013 with my two kids- 8 year old boy and 6 year old girl and would love to meet other HS there.  This is our first time HS, as my kids have attended a Waldorf school up until now, so I would love to meet other families in the area (willing to travel) to help my kids with the transition.  We have HS friends here in the Netherlands, so they don't think it is strange, but I know the idea of not having friends immediately is scary for them.  I would love to know anything living in the area might want to tell us....

Thanks!

#35 of 41 Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Hola!

You read different things because it isn't legal but it isn't really illegal either.  Whether you have problems or not depends a bit on luck and which part of Spain you are in.  Usually the worst case scenario is that Social Services are called because of absenteeism and they come to investigate for signs of neglect or abuse, don't find anything and the case is closed.  Here in Catalunya, we have a strong regional group which works to "normalize" our situation and also serves as a way for families to connect, organize activities, etc.  Here's the link to our web page http://educarenfamilia.org/ where you can send a shout out to the whole group.  If you're coming on a visit, feel free to join us for whatever happens to be going on that week.  You can also contact me by private message if you want as well.  I have a 4 yo daughter and a 6 yo son and we meet up regularly with different families for a park day as well as attend excursions and stuff.

#36 of 41 Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Hello

We are currently homeschooling in London and it's really easy. There are lots of other homechoolers, lots of groups/classes/trips etc. But my husband hates the weather and has been desperate to move for a good few years now. We think Barcelona would be ideal if there is a good community of homeschoolers there. I am really nervous to leave our community as it's been so easy to get set up here. I'd love to get in touch with other homeschoolers before we move. We have a son who is 7 and a baby. I'm going to research the links that are posted.

Thanks everyone!

x

#37 of 41 Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Hi there Jessica!

Did you settle for Mallorca. If so how is it?

Regards,
Victor

#38 of 41 Old 01-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Hi again- sorry, disappeared off the radar.  I ended up moving to Valencia, Spain- as there was a waldorf initiative here.... but 2 weeks ago it collapsed and I am finding myself homeschooling here.  We haven't been here that long and want to know if there are other "mothering" people around this area? 

Thanks for all the replies!

#39 of 41 Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just to say, the UK hasn't featured heavily here but HSing is stupidly easy and the laws are ridiculously unschooling friendly. Its not as common as the US, but probably more common than all other European countries, and there are lots of HS groups. It is something that is generally on the radar of a lot of museums etc too which helps.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#40 of 41 Old 01-30-2014, 06:08 AM

We just moved to Barcelona from Canada with our 4 kids.  Right now they are attending the American school, but I would like to homeschool my daughter age 10.  I am looking for information or someone to talk to about the homeschooling in Barcelona.  I checked the website, Educar en Familia, but there wasn't much information.  Do you know of any groups I could contact in Barcelona? 

Thanks,

Tanya 

#41 of 41 Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 AM

Hi Tanya,

I'm homeschooling in Barcelona.... Educar en Familia is the right link for connecting with the Catalan homeschooling community, but the English part of the page isn't well maintained as we are all volunteer run.  If you would like to contact me, I can explain what activities exist in Barcelona. Next week we have a few meetups where you could make contact with a variety of families.  While the majority are Catalan, we actually have quite a few international families this year and you will find a lovely hodge-podge of languages and cultures!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page