Moving to Oslo this January with a 5 Month Old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-04-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Norwegian Mommies! 

My husband and I are about to relocate to Oslo from the Seattle, Washington, USA region in just a couple of weeks (around January 18th). My husband will be working on a PhD at the University of Oslo and I will be staying home with our lovely 5 month old baby girl. 

I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about the move. I know the long flight and jet-lag will be trying but after that, I'm most worried about finding some friends with children to spend time with. Here at home, I have been able to get together with a couple of other mothers about once a week which has been so wonderful! One of my biggest fears is that it will be hard to make friends in a new country. I'm going to try to learn Norwegian but I have a feeling it might take me awhile to make much progress. If you are in the Oslo area and would like to get together sometime please let me know! 

I also have some questions about vaccines in Olso. We've been doing a bit of a delayed schedule with our doctor here but I have no idea how it will work once we get over there. In fact, I have no idea how you even go about finding a doctor in Norway. I guess I have a lot to learn! 

Wishing you all a Happy New Year! 

~Elizabeth Packard and 5 month old Mary Elizabeth 

#2 of 2 Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, and welcome to Norway! 

I live about 40 minutes outside of Oslo and I am currently home on maternity leave with my soon 10 months old youngest daughter. I would love to meet you and give you any assistance I can help you with. I have lived abroad myself and know how hard it can be to get around in the beginning. No question is too stupid to ask.

I hope the move goes better than feared!

To give you a few starting points - Norwegians are often perceived as distant and cold, not so true in reality, but we may be a bit harder to get to know than what you are used to. However, if you befriend someone, you are usually friends for a long time.

We also love to practice our English, so if you really want to practice your Norwegian be firm and persistent that you only want to talk Norwegian.

I recon you will be in the local healthsystem for the baby and will have check ups there with a person who is specialized in children's development - not a doctor, but more than a "nurse". Very often this is a woman, just as midwifes very seldom is male. She will be the one to set the vaccines - we usually follow the general Norwegian vaccineprogram, with a double shot at 3 months, 6 months and 12 months if I remember correctly. And the MMR vaccine. If you prefer to have a single shot at a time that is possible, also to have them delayed. 

There will also be a health check by a doctor.

I recon you and your husband will use the university doctors as your GP, I was very happy with them as a student.

I am sure you are swamped right now, so I'll PM you my contact info

"Betre byrdi, du ber kje i bakken, enn mannevit mykje"
"Better gear than good sense, A traveller cannot carry" From Havamal

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page